General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

SOT- split checks - why does it matter to restuarant?

Started by Jeanne Ketterer · · Last activity · 191 posts · 6,124 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 August 2005
Last activity
25 August 2005
Original author
Jeanne Ketterer
Posts
191
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,124
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 191
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Slightly off topic here, but thought can slide the question in, might be restaurant managers or professionals lurking. We were talking about tipping, etc., and my husband wanted to know why can't restaurants allow split checks? Often he goes out to eat with four other guys and they end up in the same place bec they can split it, plus leave their own (often generous) tip. I go out with a bunch of the ladies to a local restaurant and although they won't split a large party (sometimes there are 6-8 of us), they will deduct at the register each's dinner, etc. And we do leave a good tip.

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or two paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped this way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join other couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in abovementioned place), I check first if we can have separate checks. Some are offended, but really this comes from my experience of getting burned. And more times than not, I will (or both of us) order an extra appetizer to be enjoyed by the whole table, making clear I'm paying for it.

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail, why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

  2. Jeanne Ketterer said:

    Slightly off topic here, but thought can slide the question in, might be restaurant managers or professionals lurking. We were talking about tipping, etc., and my husband wanted to know why can't restaurants allow split checks? Often he goes out to eat with four other guys and they end up in the same place bec they can split it, plus leave their own (often generous) tip. I go out with a bunch of the ladies to a local restaurant and although they won't split a large party (sometimes there are 6-8 of us), they will deduct at the register each's dinner, etc. And we do leave a good tip.

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or two paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped this way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join other couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in abovementioned place), I check first if we can have separate checks. Some are offended, but really this comes from my experience of getting burned. And more times than not, I will (or both of us) order an extra appetizer to be enjoyed by the whole table, making clear I'm paying for it.

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail, why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

    Split the check evenly.... appetizers, dessert and wine included. One
    person puts it on their card and collects cash from the others ON THE
    SPOT. How hard is that? The alternative is to entertain at home.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    sfpipeline_at_gmail.com said:

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:26:20 GMT, Jeanne Ketterer wrote:


    (snip)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or
    two paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped
    this way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join
    other couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in
    abovementioned place), I check first if we can have separate checks.
    Some are offended, but really this comes from my experience of getting
    burned. And more times than not, I will (or both of us) order an
    extra appetizer to be enjoyed by the whole table, making clear I'm
    paying for it.

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little
    detail, why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

    Split the check evenly.... appetizers, dessert and wine included. One
    person puts it on their card and collects cash from the others ON THE
    SPOT. How hard is that? The alternative is to entertain at home.

    ?? That's exactly what she said she does NOT want to do -- she does
    not want to pay for someone else's drinks. She wants separate checks.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
    couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, "Jeanne

    Ketterer said:

    Slightly off topic here, but thought can slide the question in, might be
    restaurant managers or professionals lurking. We were talking about
    tipping, etc., and my husband wanted to know why can't restaurants allow
    split checks? Often he goes out to eat with four other guys and they end
    up in the same place bec they can split it, plus leave their own (often
    generous) tip. I go out with a bunch of the ladies to a local restaurant
    and although they won't split a large party (sometimes there are 6-8 of
    us), they will deduct at the register each's dinner, etc. And we do
    leave a good tip.

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or two
    paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped this
    way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join other
    couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in abovementioned
    place), I check first if we can have separate checks. Some are offended,
    but really this comes from my experience of getting burned. And more
    times than not, I will (or both of us) order an extra appetizer to be
    enjoyed by the whole table, making clear I'm paying for it.

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail,
    why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

    Explanation I've heard is that if all the orders are on the same ticket
    the food is all ready (theoretically, anyway) at the same time -- it's
    planned to all be ready at the same time. If each meal goes in on a
    separate ticket, it's treated as -- a separate ticket and/or table. :-/
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
    couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

  5. One time on Usenet, "Jeanne Ketterer" <[email hidden]> said:

    Note: please turn off the HTML -- Usenet is mostly a text-only
    format, thanks.

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or two =
    paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped this =
    way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join other =
    couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in abovementioned =
    place), I check first if we can have separate checks. Some are =
    offended, but really this comes from my experience of getting burned. =
    And more times than not, I will (or both of us) order an extra appetizer =
    to be enjoyed by the whole table, making clear I'm paying for it.

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail, =
    why so much trouble? =

    Taking each check plus the accompanying payment is time consuming for
    the restaurant, and time is money in any business. The real issue here
    not individual checks; it's the person who wants to simply split the
    check into equal amounts. My friends and I don't play that game...

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)
    ~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    sf said:
    Jeanne Ketterer said:

    Slightly off topic here, but thought can slide the question in, might be
    restaurant managers or professionals lurking. We were talking about
    tipping, etc., and my husband wanted to know why can't restaurants allow
    split checks? Often he goes out to eat with four other guys and they end
    up in the same place bec they can split it, plus leave their own (often
    generous) tip. I go out with a bunch of the ladies to a local restaurant
    and although they won't split a large party (sometimes there are 6-8 of
    us), they will deduct at the register each's dinner, etc. And we do leave
    a good tip.

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or two
    paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped this
    way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join other
    couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in abovementioned
    place), I check first if we can have separate checks. Some are offended,
    but really this comes from my experience of getting burned. And more
    times than not, I will (or both of us) order an extra appetizer to be
    enjoyed by the whole table, making clear I'm paying for it.

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail,
    why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

    Split the check evenly.... appetizers, dessert and wine included. One
    person puts it on their card and collects cash from the others ON THE
    SPOT. How hard is that? The alternative is to entertain at home.

    That makes me crazy. I have gotten stuck eating with people who divide
    the check evenly when I had water and a salad and they had a drink,
    entree and dessert. That is a method for ripping off your friends and
    getting them to buy half your lunch.

    Why is it so difficult for people to do basic math and add up what they
    purchased, their share of tax and tip?

    marcella

  7. Jeanne Ketterer said:

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or
    two paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped
    this way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join
    other couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in
    abovementioned place), I check first if we can have separate checks.


    (major snippage)

    Quoted message said:

    Jeanne

    I've never encountered a problem like this. I used to go out to lunch with
    as many as 10 co-workers at a time. In fact, we often found another couple
    of co-workers at the same place and said, "Hey, join us!" The restaurants
    never had a problem issuing separate checks. I'm with you on this one.
    Some people order drinks (I drink water, others ordered tea or soda); some
    people order appetizers (shared or not). Some people order desserts. Why
    pay for something you didn't partake of? But I don't find it's ever been a
    problem asking for separate checks.

    As a former server, it's a bit of a PITA, because you need all the food to
    come out at once. But if you're a GOOD server, you know to tell the line
    this is all for table X (we used to staple the tickets together). So the
    food comes out together. It's not rocket science. And then you collect the
    tabs; some pay cash, others pay by credit. The server has to keep up, but
    again, if you're a GOOD server it's not a problem.

    Jill

  8. Jeanne Ketterer said:

    Slightly off topic here, but thought can slide the question in, might be restaurant managers or professionals lurking. We were talking about tipping, etc., and my husband wanted to know why can't restaurants allow split checks? Often he goes out to eat with four other guys and they end up in the same place bec they can split it, plus leave their own (often generous) tip. I go out with a bunch of the ladies to a local restaurant and although they won't split a large party (sometimes there are 6-8 of us), they will deduct at the register each's dinner, etc. And we do leave a good tip.

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or two paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped this way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join other couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in abovementioned place), I check first if we can have separate checks. Some are offended, but really this comes from my experience of getting burned. And more times than not, I will (or both of us) order an extra appetizer to be enjoyed by the whole table, making clear I'm paying for it.

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail, why so much trouble?

    Really quite simple, how much trouble is it to remember your own tab...
    simply hand the group's loud egotistical [censored] (and there is always
    one) who insists on being in charge of paying, your portion plus tip
    and then just sit there and not say another word like the naive fool
    they think you are.

    Easy, eh?

    There's no reason you should have to pay for others extravagances.

    Sheldon

  9. jmcquown said:
    Jeanne Ketterer said:

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or
    two paying for way more than their own selection.
    Jeanne

    As a former server, it's a bit of a PITA, because you need all the
    food to come out at once. But if you're a GOOD server, you know to
    tell the line this is all for table X (we used to staple the tickets
    together). So the food comes out together. It's not rocket science.
    And then you collect the tabs; some pay cash, others pay by credit.
    The server has to keep up, but again, if you're a GOOD server it's
    not a problem.


    If the Expo (expeditor, or in the case of Gordon Ramsay the head chef LOL)
    is any good he will inform the cooks on the line these meals are all for a
    specific table. That way the food comes out together. The server doesn't
    walk the food to the table until everything is set. Separate checks should
    be no difference in quality of service.

    Jill

  10. sf said:
    Quoted message said:


    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail, why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

    Split the check evenly.... appetizers, dessert and wine included. One
    person puts it on their card and collects cash from the others ON THE
    SPOT. How hard is that? The alternative is to entertain at home.

    That leaves the billing service to one or more of the customers. Some will suggest that everyone throw in the same amount to add up to enough for the bill plus a tip. It seems that men are more likely to just split a bill than women. Maybe they have the right idea. The problem is that some people will have more expensive meals than others and end up paying more than their share. Then there is the drink bill, and some people drink a lot more than others. I used to go out for a lot of meals with my co-workers, and there were a few who were cheap buggers who would order more than the rest and
    it was tough even to get an even share of the bill out them, never mind that their personal bill would be the highest.

  11. Sheldon said:


    Really quite simple, how much trouble is it to remember your own tab...
    simply hand the group's loud egotistical [censored] (and there is always
    one) who insists on being in charge of paying, your portion plus tip
    and then just sit there and not say another word like the naive fool
    they think you are.

    Sure it's easy to remember your own tab, but just like there is someone willing to take on the responsibility to collect the money, not necessarily an egotistical [censored], there is likely to be someone who is a cheap [censored] who will conveniently forget that he had an expensive appetizer, or underestimate the value of the dishes he ate. It also leaves the collector to sort out the change.

  12. Dave Smith said:

    Sure it's easy to remember your own tab, but just like >there is someone


    willing to take on the responsibility to >collect the money, not necessarily
    an egotistical [censored], >there is likely to be someone who is a cheap
    [censored] who >will conveniently forget that he had an expensive >appetizer,
    or underestimate the value of the dishes he ate.

    Simple solution to that problem:

    "Uh, excuse me, you had the more expensive menu item(s), so you need to put
    in some more dough...".

    And then you make a point never to dine with them again.

    --
    Best
    Greg

  13. Gregory Morrow said:
    Dave Smith said:

    Sure it's easy to remember your own tab, but just like >there is someone


    willing to take on the responsibility to >collect the money, not necessarily
    an egotistical [censored], >there is likely to be someone who is a cheap
    [censored] who >will conveniently forget that he had an expensive >appetizer,
    or underestimate the value of the dishes he ate.

    Simple solution to that problem:

    "Uh, excuse me, you had the more expensive menu item(s), so you need to put
    in some more dough...".

    I'd be more inclined to say "Pay up you cheap [censored]", but it's not my job to
    extract payment from a customer just because he is sitting at my table. That is
    the job of a paid employee of the restaurant.

    Quoted message said:

    And then you make a point never to dine with them again.

    There a number of people who are on my list of people not to dine with again.
    Right at the top of the list is a former co-worker who had a habit of announcing
    that he had no money when the check came. To make matters worse, he would put
    the meal of his expense account, get the money and still not pay as promised.
    Next on the list is a former neighbour and his wife who had 5 glasses of Gran
    Marnier in an expensive restaurant where we were splitting the bill. Their
    after dinner drinks were a lot more than their dinners.

  14. On Mon 15 Aug 2005 06:52:48p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Jeanne Ketterer said:

    Splitting a check among 8 or more, IMO and experience, leaves one or
    two paying for way more than their own selection. I've gotten ripped
    this way. I'm not paying for your drinks. So now before we go join
    other couples for dinner (other than out with the ladies in
    abovementioned place), I check first if we can have separate checks.


    (major snippage)

    Quoted message said:

    Jeanne

    I've never encountered a problem like this. I used to go out to lunch
    with as many as 10 co-workers at a time. In fact, we often found
    another couple of co-workers at the same place and said, "Hey, join us!"
    The restaurants never had a problem issuing separate checks. I'm with
    you on this one. Some people order drinks (I drink water, others ordered
    tea or soda); some people order appetizers (shared or not). Some people
    order desserts. Why pay for something you didn't partake of? But I
    don't find it's ever been a problem asking for separate checks.

    As a former server, it's a bit of a PITA, because you need all the food
    to come out at once. But if you're a GOOD server, you know to tell the
    line this is all for table X (we used to staple the tickets together).
    So the food comes out together. It's not rocket science. And then you
    collect the tabs; some pay cash, others pay by credit. The server has
    to keep up, but again, if you're a GOOD server it's not a problem.

    Jill

    Some restaurants will not write separate checks. Lunch groups from work
    I've been with have never been a problem with dividing the check according
    to what people ordered.

    A more current problem exists today when some want to pay cash, some want
    to pay by debit and/or credit cards. This is an impossible situation for
    the usual splitting of a check.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 08/15/2005
    Tested on: 8/15/2005 8:27:01 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  15. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail,
    why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

    Explanation I've heard is that if all the orders are on the same ticket
    the food is all ready (theoretically, anyway) at the same time -- it's s
    planned to all be ready at the same time. If each meal goes in on a
    separate ticket, it's treated as -- a separate ticket and/or table. :-/
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
    couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

    Thank you to you and Jill for answering my question: the kitchen
    prefers all on one ticket for expediting, etc. Makes sense. Makes sense
    also to clip all together and say it's for one table. Apparantly some
    kitchens can handle split checks for 4-6 (read this often on menus), but not
    for larger parties.
    Everyone else was misinterpreting ... I added some commentary about
    personal results of splitting the total tab; I was not referring to giving
    the kitchen separate orders instead of one large. I am capable of
    remembering what I ordered and doing my own math. Having been burned and
    learned, I've ever since been cautious.

    Jeanne

  16. Melba's Jammin said:

    ?? That's exactly what she said she does NOT want to do -- she does
    not want to pay for someone else's drinks. She wants separate checks.

    Separate checks is just plain stupid. How clearly can I say it? When
    you go out with a group, be prepared to split the check evenly. If
    the restaurant doesn't do separate checks, ONE person puts it on
    his/her card and collects equal amounts from everyone else. If you
    don't drink or have appetizers/dessert but someone else ordered it,
    you split the total anyway. That's what REAL friends do.

    When people watch the bottem line so closely that a few dollars spent
    having fun with friends makes a difference, they should entertain at
    home instead - so they can control their costs without looking like a
    cheapskate.

  17. Marcella Peek said:


    That makes me crazy. I have gotten stuck eating with people who divide
    the check evenly when I had water and a salad and they had a drink,
    entree and dessert. That is a method for ripping off your friends and
    getting them to buy half your lunch.

    Why is it so difficult for people to do basic math and add up what they
    purchased, their share of tax and tip?

    marcella

    Basic math involve splitting the totall "x" ways. So, if the cost of
    that meal (to the penny) is so important, you should decline the
    invitation.

    Speaking as a member of the rest of the group.... since splitting a
    check is so painful for you, I'd rather see you some other time where
    check splitting isn't involved. This has nothing to do with our
    friendship, I just don't want you to be so upset about something so
    trivial. See you at the annual (friends) picnic!

    🙂

  18. Dave Smith said:
    sf said:
    Quoted message said:


    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little detail, why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

    Split the check evenly.... appetizers, dessert and wine included. One
    person puts it on their card and collects cash from the others ON THE
    SPOT. How hard is that? The alternative is to entertain at home.

    That leaves the billing service to one or more of the customers.

    Duh!

    Quoted message said:

    Some will suggest that everyone throw in the same amount to add up
    to enough for the bill plus a tip.

    I do.

    Quoted message said:

    It seems that men are more likely to just split a bill than women.
    Maybe they have the right idea. The problem is that some people
    will have more expensive meals than others and end up paying more
    than their share. Then there is the drink bill, and some people drink
    a lot more than others. I used to go out for a lot of meals with my
    co-workers, and there were a few who were cheap buggers who
    would order more than the rest and it was tough even to get an even
    share of the bill out them, never mind that their personal bill would
    be the highest.


    I'm unclear about your situation.... saying that you couldn't get an
    even share out of people who ordered more than others even though
    their share was more doesn't sound right... If it's the truth, then
    you'd be a fool to go out more than once with them. My own situation
    has been someone who ordered significantly less than anyone else and
    wanted a discount on the meal. NO WAY! That happened 20 year ago and
    he's still a very good friend.

    Getting back to reality: If money is an issue... ASK (or tell).
    Otherwise, you went into the situation with your eyes open. If you
    don't want to play the equality game, don't go. Act like a grown up
    and don't whine about it after you accept.

  19. "sf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Marcella Peek said:


    That makes me crazy. I have gotten stuck eating with people who divide
    the check evenly when I had water and a salad and they had a drink,
    entree and dessert. That is a method for ripping off your friends and
    getting them to buy half your lunch.

    Why is it so difficult for people to do basic math and add up what they
    purchased, their share of tax and tip?

    marcella

    Basic math involve splitting the totall "x" ways. So, if the cost of
    that meal (to the penny) is so important, you should decline the
    invitation.

    Speaking as a member of the rest of the group.... since splitting a
    check is so painful for you, I'd rather see you some other time where
    check splitting isn't involved. This has nothing to do with our
    friendship, I just don't want you to be so upset about something so
    trivial. See you at the annual (friends) picnic!

    🙂

    I take it sf stufs her self stupid with the most expensive things on the
    menu and then gets her 'friends' to pay for most of it!
    Sarah
    🙂

  20. Jeanne Ketterer said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So, why no split checks? Computer registers track every little
    detail, why so much trouble?

    Jeanne

    Explanation I've heard is that if all the orders are on the same
    ticket the food is all ready (theoretically, anyway) at the same
    time

    Thank you to you and Jill for answering my question: the kitchen
    prefers all on one ticket for expediting, etc. Makes sense. Makes
    sense also to clip all together and say it's for one table.
    Apparantly some kitchens can handle split checks for 4-6 (read this
    often on menus), but not for larger parties.
    Everyone else was misinterpreting ... I added some commentary
    about personal results of splitting the total tab; I was not
    referring to giving the kitchen separate orders instead of one large.
    I am capable of remembering what I ordered and doing my own math.
    Having been burned and learned, I've ever since been cautious.

    Jeanne

    Not being "burned" by a friend, but watching a friend "burn" the server by
    being a total cheapskate with the tip? I've had lunch with a woman who, if
    her meal was $20 and the service excellent, leaves 50 cents as a tip. I'm
    so embarrassed by this I wind up over-tipping so the poor server doesn't get
    stiffed. I do this after we've left the table, by the way; I go get change,
    walk back and leave the tip, so don't anyone say she does it because she
    knows I'll cover the rest. She has no clue. I'd feel bad too, though,
    telling her I think she should tip more. It's tantamount to telling her
    she's a cheapskate (she pays for her meal & drinks). Anyone else?

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.