South Dakota Food

Melba's Jammin'

Guest
Niece Patty and I left Minneapolis at 7:45 on Friday morning for the 600
mile drive to Rapid City to attend my niece's funeral on Sunday
afternoon. We arrived in Rapid City on Friday afternoon and had
take-out Chinese with my nephew's family -- moo-shu pork, egg rolls,
potstickers, hot & sour soup, curry chicken, fried rice, white rice,
kung pao chicken and something else. Plenty of leftovers. :)

We had lunch today at Tally's in downtown Rapid, a half block away from
my brother's jewelry store. Steak sandwich and hash browns. Not bad,
though the steak wasn't especially tender. The banana cream pie was
good - it had a meringue topping. Nephew picked up the check without
our knowledge. I told him later that if I'd known he was buying I'd
have ordered something else. He said that's why he didn't tell me his
plan. I come from a long line of wiseasses.

We were going to go to Mount Rushmore to see the guys but spent too much
time in the jewelry store. We went to Prairie Edge store instead.
Google it if you want to know what it's about. Beautiful things made by
Native artists and craftspeople.

We collected my grandniece and brought her to my nephew's, where we're
staying, for a wonderful spaghetti supper. I should be in bed now
instead of posting. They think I'm weird because of my food pictures.

We had rollicking conversation about tomorrow's Dead Spread -- I
mentioned my concern about pressed turkey sandwiches and potato chips to
my grand-nephews and they said there'll be a jazz band and great food.
Connie's going out in style. Stay tuned. "-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-11-2006, RIP Connie Drew

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:35:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-11-2006, RIP Connie Drew

I'm so sorry for your loss... she sounds like a fun loving and
flamboyant personality whose passing will leave a big hole in many
lives.

On Sun 15 Jan 2006 12:35:49a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> Niece Patty and I left Minneapolis at 7:45 on Friday morning for the 600
> mile drive to Rapid City to attend my niece's funeral on Sunday
> afternoon.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Barb. I know she will be missed by many.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Remove all "***'s" from address to e-mail directly.

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> looking for
trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Nephew picked up the check without our knowledge.

Sounds like your nephew and Margaret would have a row if he went to NYC ;)

I am so sorry about your niece. I don't know the details but I'll bet your
family is pretty devestated. I did not know she passed on. Let me know if
I can do anything.

Michael
--
Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
Hoot about to ****** the snack out of my mouth:

Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> looking for
> trouble wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Nephew picked up the check without our knowledge.

> Sounds like your nephew and Margaret would have a row if he went to NYC ;)

:)

> I am so sorry about your niece. I don't know the details but I'll bet your
> family is pretty devestated.

I expect to bury the 80-year-olds+. I didn't expect to bury the
62-year-old. There are a couple in the 80+ range whose passing won't be
a shock if they were to expire within the next year or so. It's been
kind of a long run of mortuaries lately.

OB Food: I forgot to mention the place that Patty I stopped at on our
way out here. We ate at a Pizza Ranch buffet in Mitchell, SD. The
pizza wasn't bad (but a thicker crust than I prefer) but the broasted
chicken was awesome! The drumsticks I ate were *juicy*. And tastier
than anything KFC has ever done! :) Pizza Ranch is a chain. We might
have to stop on our way home. :)
--

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> We had rollicking conversation about tomorrow's Dead Spread -- I
> mentioned my concern about pressed turkey sandwiches and potato chips to
> my grand-nephews and they said there'll be a jazz band and great food.
> Connie's going out in style. Stay tuned. "-)

Barb, I am sorry to hear about your family's loss.

Your family sounds a lot like mine in how we observe our funeral
rituals. When my mom's dad died, just after I graduated college year, we
had a party at my parents house. We Jewish folks drag out our relatives'
death rituals (which we refer to as shiva) for several days and we cover
all the mirrors in the house with sheets! On the final day, I got bored
so one of my uncles invited me to go flying with him in a small plane
that his air club owned at the time. It was my first time flying in a
small plane and I had a fantastic time!

When I was a senior in high school, the whole Philadelphia contingent of
my family, headed down to Miami for my grandmother's (on my dad's side)
funeral. My cousins and I spent the better part of that week hitting the
beach, seeing movies, and visiting some of the local pizza joints while
my parents helped my dad's brothers deal with my grandmother's estate.
The funeral and shiva were a minor part of the visit for me.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:19:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> broasted
> chicken was awesome! The drumsticks I ate were *juicy*. And tastier
> than anything KFC has ever done! :)

Broasted chicken... now that's a blast from the past. I didn't know
they did it anymore!

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:35:49 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
Jammin' <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and
declared:
>Niece Patty and I left Minneapolis at 7:45 on Friday morning for the 600
>mile drive to Rapid City to attend my niece's funeral on Sunday
>afternoon. We arrived in Rapid City on Friday afternoon and had
>take-out Chinese with my nephew's family -- moo-shu pork, egg rolls,
>potstickers, hot & sour soup, curry chicken, fried rice, white rice,
>kung pao chicken and something else. Plenty of leftovers. :)
>
>We had lunch today at Tally's in downtown Rapid, a half block away from
>my brother's jewelry store. Steak sandwich and hash browns. Not bad,
>though the steak wasn't especially tender. The banana cream pie was
>good - it had a meringue topping. Nephew picked up the check without
>our knowledge. I told him later that if I'd known he was buying I'd
>have ordered something else. He said that's why he didn't tell me his
>plan. I come from a long line of wiseasses.
>
>We were going to go to Mount Rushmore to see the guys but spent too much
>time in the jewelry store. We went to Prairie Edge store instead.
>Google it if you want to know what it's about. Beautiful things made by
>Native artists and craftspeople.
>
>We collected my grandniece and brought her to my nephew's, where we're
>staying, for a wonderful spaghetti supper. I should be in bed now
>instead of posting. They think I'm weird because of my food pictures.
>
>We had rollicking conversation about tomorrow's Dead Spread -- I
>mentioned my concern about pressed turkey sandwiches and potato chips to
>my grand-nephews and they said there'll be a jazz band and great food.
>Connie's going out in style. Stay tuned. "-)

Alas, no HOTDISH!

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:19:10 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
Jammin' <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and
declared:
>In article <[email protected]>,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> looking for
>> trouble wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Nephew picked up the check without our knowledge.

>> Sounds like your nephew and Margaret would have a row if he went to NYC ;)

>:)
>

>> I am so sorry about your niece. I don't know the details but I'll bet your
>> family is pretty devestated.

>I expect to bury the 80-year-olds+. I didn't expect to bury the
>62-year-old. There are a couple in the 80+ range whose passing won't be
>a shock if they were to expire within the next year or so. It's been
>kind of a long run of mortuaries lately.
>
>OB Food: I forgot to mention the place that Patty I stopped at on our
>way out here. We ate at a Pizza Ranch buffet in Mitchell, SD. The
>pizza wasn't bad (but a thicker crust than I prefer) but the broasted
>chicken was awesome! The drumsticks I ate were *juicy*. And tastier
>than anything KFC has ever done! :) Pizza Ranch is a chain. We might
>have to stop on our way home. :)

Is the Pizza Ranch still owned by that guy that took nudie pics of the
teenaged waitboys for "research"?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:25:32 -0800, in rec.food.cooking, sf
<[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
>On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:19:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> broasted
>> chicken was awesome! The drumsticks I ate were *juicy*. And tastier
>> than anything KFC has ever done! :)

>Broasted chicken... now that's a blast from the past. I didn't know
>they did it anymore!

Hehhhh, hit the upper Midwest, it's like an epidemic!

In article <[email protected]>,
projectile vomit chick <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:35:49 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Melba's
> Jammin' <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and
> declared:
> >Niece Patty and I left Minneapolis at 7:45 on Friday morning for the 600
> >mile drive to Rapid City to attend my niece's funeral on Sunday
> >afternoon. We arrived in Rapid City on Friday afternoon and had
> >take-out Chinese with my nephew's family -- moo-shu pork, egg rolls,

(snipped)
> >We had rollicking conversation about tomorrow's Dead Spread -- I
> >mentioned my concern about pressed turkey sandwiches and potato chips to
> >my grand-nephews and they said there'll be a jazz band and great food.
> >Connie's going out in style. Stay tuned. "-)

> Alas, no HOTDISH!

No kidding! Menu and pics are on my website. I have written the
funeral report yet.
I returned home from Rancid City about two hours ago. With four pieces
of the chocolate cake from the reception. We stopped for breakfast in
Murdo, SD - about an hour and a half or so out of Rapid. I left my
camera in the car and breakfast at The Diner wasn't anything exotic -
eggs, hash browns, sausage patties, rye toast. Coffee. We ran into
nasty weather on I-90 in Fairmont MN and left the freeway at that point.
Took a diagonal route home and shaved about 50-60 miles off the trip.
It's good to be home; I haven't slept well for the last two nights. Had
a great time with my nephew and his family -- My Nephew The Jeweler is a
real stitch -- and it was really good to hook up with my niece's three
children, too. I haven't seen them in about 20 years or so. Nice
people. Rob's grandniece is being married in Rapid this summer. It
will be very nice to visit there for a happy occasion.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew