Speaking of Peanut Butter

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sheryl Rosen, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. Sheryl  Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here is
    allergic so....I'm ok!

    I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is that
    sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar. The
    calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added in
    a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    to eat the recommended serving of.

    I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    sweet, like Skippy is.

    I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced sodium
    and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    fat and reduced sugar.

    Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to live
    without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    want.

    Thanks....
    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt

    Tags:

  2. "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I would love to find a combo of reduced
    > fat and reduced sugar.
    >
    > Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    > live
    > without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it.

    I've tried a couple and did not like the results. I'm sticking with Skippy
    chunk.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

  3. Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
    <snip>
    : I would love to find a combo of reduced
    : fat and reduced sugar.

    : Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to live
    : without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    : lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    : version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    : want.

    The fat in peanut butter is very high in monosaturates, the same
    factor that people are so excited about in olive oil. The ratios
    aren't as good as for olive oil, but they're nothing to be
    afraid of.

    Real peanut butter has no added sugar; you can get it without
    added salt, and I like its taste much better than the more common
    mixture using that name. It has nothing extraneous --
    no preservatives, no mysterious 'flavor enhancers', no stabilizers.
    The oil will separate and rise to the top, so you can get a low
    fat, but very hard to eat version by waiting a while.

    --thelma
    : Thanks....

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BF5B985A.72F4F%[email protected]
    >I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one
    >here is
    > allergic so....I'm ok!

    These days, I feel like that's the only place we can eat peanut butter!

    > I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    > that
    > sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding
    > sugar. The
    > calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and
    > added in
    > a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.

    I haven't tried this. It's the natural kind that you have to mix up
    before eating and then keep in the fridge, but Smuckers natural
    reduced-fat PB has only 2 g. of sugar per serving:

    http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default.asp?groupid=2&catid=11&prodid=109

    Without the added sugar, I'm not sure what this stuff would taste like,
    given the added maltodextrin. Anyone tried it?

    W/ natural peanut butter in general, the oil in can be a bit of a pain;
    I've found it easiest and best to dump the entire jar into a medium-size
    bowl, mix it thoroughly, and then put it back in the jar (using a rubber
    spatula to get everything out of the bowl).

    Hmm, I wonder if you could make your own reduced fat peanut butter?
    Take a jar of natural peanut butter, drain off (and reserve) some of the
    oil, mix the heck out of it as best you can, and refrigerate. It might
    be a little pasty/chalky, but heck...if you don't like it, you can
    always add the reserved oil back in.

    Frankly, I like the taste of partially-hydrogenated peanut butter
    better. It works better for cookies and sauces, too.

    As always, report back if you find something good out there, Sheryl!!
    Chris

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BF5B985A.72F4F%[email protected]
    >I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one
    >here is
    > allergic so....I'm ok!
    >
    > I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    > that
    > sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding
    > sugar. The
    > calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and
    > added in
    > a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.
    >
    > Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy
    > reduced
    > fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a
    > little
    > bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better
    > product
    > to eat the recommended serving of.

    A couple of interesting quotes from peanutbutterlovers.com:

    "'Peanut butter spreads,' a relatively new category now allowed by FDA,
    contain only 60% peanuts, but are nutritionally equivalent to peanut
    butter (although they may contain more sugar or salt). Many companies
    introduced peanut butter spreads as a reduced-fat alternative to peanut
    butter. But today there also are real peanut butters on the market (look
    for Laura Scudder and Smuckers) which are 25% reduced-fat and still
    contain at least 90% peanuts."

    "A peanut butter and jelly sandwich stacks up well against other popular
    food items such as a chicken filet sandwich, a hot dog, a slice of
    pepperoni pizza and a hamburger.

    A PB&J on white bread contains a lower percentage of calories from fat,
    less saturatef fat, and almost no cholesterol (the small amount is from
    the bread) than the other items. The PB&J contains more fiber and less
    sodium than the other items (with only one exception -- the hamburger
    contains 2 mg less sodium than the PB&J).

    All comparisons were based on 100 gram servings. A 100 gram PB&J
    includes two tablespoons of peanut butter and two slices of white bread
    with jelly. The chicken filet sandwich is 2 ounces of chicken on a plain
    bun with no condiments (this is much smaller than a normal chicken
    sandwich). The hot dog on a plain bun has no condiments included. The
    slice of pepperoni pizza represents 1/8th of a 13-inch pizza. The
    hamburger is 2 ounces of lean ground beef on a plain bun with no
    condiments."

  6. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > Hmm, I wonder if you could make your own reduced fat peanut butter?
    > Take a jar of natural peanut butter, drain off (and reserve) some of the
    > oil, mix the heck out of it as best you can, and refrigerate. It might
    > be a little pasty/chalky, but heck...if you don't like it, you can
    > always add the reserved oil back in.

    One note about the "natural" peanut butters on the market that are
    "organic". Be very cautious about buying these products. Peanuts are
    notorious hosts for fungi, and organic peanuts are usually laden with
    fungal spores. Some fungi produce mycotoxins that can be extremely
    hazardous to your health.

    Peanuts are the one product I will always buy non-organic.

    -L.

  7. jdc1

    jdc1 Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BF5B985A.72F4F%[email protected]
    >
    >>I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one
    >>here is
    >>allergic so....I'm ok!
    >>
    >>I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    >>that
    >>sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding
    >>sugar. The
    >>calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and
    >>added in
    >>a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.
    >>
    >>Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy
    >>reduced
    >>fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a
    >>little
    >>bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better
    >>product
    >>to eat the recommended serving of.

    > A couple of interesting quotes from peanutbutterlovers.com:
    >
    > "'Peanut butter spreads,' a relatively new category now allowed by FDA,
    > contain only 60% peanuts, but are nutritionally equivalent to peanut
    > butter (although they may contain more sugar or salt). Many companies
    > introduced peanut butter spreads as a reduced-fat alternative to peanut
    > butter. But today there also are real peanut butters on the market (look
    > for Laura Scudder and Smuckers) which are 25% reduced-fat and still
    > contain at least 90% peanuts."
    >

    > "A peanut butter and jelly sandwich stacks up well against other popular
    > food items such as a chicken filet sandwich, a hot dog, a slice of
    > pepperoni pizza and a hamburger.
    >
    > A PB&J on white bread contains a lower percentage of calories from fat,
    > less saturatef fat, and almost no cholesterol (the small amount is from
    > the bread) than the other items. The PB&J contains more fiber and less
    > sodium than the other items (with only one exception -- the hamburger
    > contains 2 mg less sodium than the PB&J).
    >
    > All comparisons were based on 100 gram servings. A 100 gram PB&J
    > includes two tablespoons of peanut butter and two slices of white bread
    > with jelly. The chicken filet sandwich is 2 ounces of chicken on a plain
    > bun with no condiments (this is much smaller than a normal chicken
    > sandwich). The hot dog on a plain bun has no condiments included. The
    > slice of pepperoni pizza represents 1/8th of a 13-inch pizza. The
    > hamburger is 2 ounces of lean ground beef on a plain bun with no
    > condiments."

    So how do you tell when Peanut Butter has been in the jar too long
    and needs to be tossed?
    I've had a jar up in shelves for 8 months and noticed it's a bit darker in color now.

  8. " jdc1" <" jdc1"@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > So how do you tell when Peanut Butter has been in the jar too long
    > and needs to be tossed?
    > I've had a jar up in shelves for 8 months and noticed it's a bit darker in
    > color now.

    It will smell and taste rancid.

  9. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Sheryl Rosen wrote:

    > I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here is
    > allergic so....I'm ok!
    >
    > I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is that
    > sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar. The
    > calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added in
    > a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.
    >
    > Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    > fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    > bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    > to eat the recommended serving of.

    I've found most things labeled as reduced, low, or no fat to be vile!
    No fat cottage cheese is horrid and no fat miracle whip is inedible. The
    no fat sour cream has no texture or taste other than extra sweetness.
    Reduced fat motzarella cheese made with skim milk isn't too bad but it
    still isn't as good.

    > I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    > brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    > really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    > sweet, like Skippy is.

    We use very little peanut butter, mainly for a batch of peanut butter
    cookies or to top rice crispy squares. I doubt we would go through a
    small jar in a year. Instead of buying it I just put peanuts in the
    blender and blend them up for fresh peanut butter with no sweetners
    added. IMO it tastes better than the preservative and sugar laden
    peanut butter you buy in the stores.

    > I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced sodium
    > and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    > that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    > fat and reduced sugar.
    >
    > Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to live
    > without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    > lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    > version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    > want.
    >
    > Thanks....

  10. L, not -L

    L, not -L Guest

    Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
    <snip>
    : I would love to find a combo of reduced
    : fat and reduced sugar.

    : Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    live
    : without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    : lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    : version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    : want.

    I buy peanut butter at a healthfood store; they grind it on-site, at the
    time of sale, nothing added. Most store brands have both sugar and more oil
    added. The biggest "problem" with fresh ground is, it doesn't contain
    emulsifiers; without the emulsifiers to keep the peanut oil in the peanut
    butter, the oil separates. This separation happens over a few days and can
    be beneficial if you want less fat in your peanut butter and don't mind it
    being a bit drier (you could always add something else to thin the peanut
    butter)

    --
    To email, replace Cujo with Juno

    x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
    x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

  11. On Sun 25 Sep 2005 06:28:49a, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > <snip>
    >: I would love to find a combo of reduced fat and reduced sugar.
    >
    >: Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    >: live without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif
    >: makes a lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced
    >: salt/sugar version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and
    >: that's what I want.
    >
    > I buy peanut butter at a healthfood store; they grind it on-site, at the
    > time of sale, nothing added. Most store brands have both sugar and more
    > oil added. The biggest "problem" with fresh ground is, it doesn't
    > contain emulsifiers; without the emulsifiers to keep the peanut oil in
    > the peanut butter, the oil separates. This separation happens over a
    > few days and can be beneficial if you want less fat in your peanut
    > butter and don't mind it being a bit drier (you could always add
    > something else to thin the peanut butter)

    IIRC, Smucker's Natural is just peanuts and salt. It separates, but all
    peanut butters without emulsifiers separate. One solution is to mix it
    well, then refrigerate.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    If assholes could fly, this place would be an airport.

  12. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Sheryl Rosen wrote:
    > I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here is
    > allergic so....I'm ok!
    >
    > I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is that
    > sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar. The
    > calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added in
    > a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.
    >
    > Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    > fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    > bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    > to eat the recommended serving of.
    >
    > I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    > brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    > really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    > sweet, like Skippy is.
    >
    > I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced sodium
    > and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    > that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    > fat and reduced sugar.
    >
    > Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to live
    > without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    > lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    > version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    > want.
    >
    > Thanks....

    I consider peanut butter a junk snack food (right up there with ice
    cream). With junk snack foods I really hate having to ration myself to
    what some government entity tells me is a proper portion... if all I
    can have is some miniscule amount then I really don't enjoy and may as
    well not indulge at all, and so I don't. Snack foods I typically
    indulge in on a daily basis need no rationing, I mean like who cares
    how many apples, oranges, and bananas they eat... I love summer fruit,
    don't think eating two-three juicy ripe peaches at a sitting ever made
    anyone obese. But I don't eat high fat junk snack foods very often so
    when I do indulge I eat as much as I like. It has to be at least two
    years since I had a jar of peanut butter in the house, maybe three
    years. I can assure yoose I probably finished it in 3-4 occasions like
    within a week (probably more like in 3-4 days), I can assure yoose I
    enjoyed it enough to last me years. I love chocolate, but if all I
    could have at a sitting was like an ounce I'd hate chocolate with a
    passion... when I do eat chocolate I eat as much as I like, could be at
    least a pound or three over as many days. The last time I ate
    chocolate was last Halloween... it's almost time for me to get my
    chocolate fix again. Another of my favorite junk snack foods is potato
    chips... has to be more than ten years since I ate potato chips but
    just yesterday while I was in the stupidmarket there was a big stack of
    Wise on sale (11 1/2 ounce bag/$2) and the urge hit me. Soon as I got
    home I opened that bag, popped open a two liter bottle of diet cherry
    soda and had a potato chip/pop brunch... real nutritious! Ya know, I
    could only eat about half of that bag and all of a sudden those potato
    chips tasted disgusting... tossed the rest into the yard for the
    birds... will probably be another ten years before I eat another potato
    chip. If I had to ration out two tablespoons of peanut butter I
    wouldn't eat any... I'd much rather indulge in ripe honeydew... grew my
    own and been pigging out on them for weeks now... yup, gonna eat as
    much as I like. Melon contains no fat at all.

    Sheldon

  13. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > All comparisons were based on 100 gram servings. A 100 gram PB&J
    > includes two tablespoons of peanut butter and two slices of white bread
    > with jelly. The chicken filet sandwich is 2 ounces of chicken on a plain
    > bun with no condiments (this is much smaller than a normal chicken
    > sandwich). The hot dog on a plain bun has no condiments included. The
    > slice of pepperoni pizza represents 1/8th of a 13-inch pizza. The
    > hamburger is 2 ounces of lean ground beef on a plain bun with no
    > condiments."

    Sheesh, any one of my cats eats larger portions... they weigh about 15
    pounds and sleep 18 hours a day... and you expect a grown active guy to
    exist on those POW rations... GTF outta here.

    Friggin' idiot thinks we're lab rats.

    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

  14. Kat

    Kat Guest

    Fresh ground, let sit out for a day or 2 and the oil will rise to the top.
    Dump the oil (but save for cooking, it's wonderful)
    We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just nasty.

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BF5B985A.72F4F%[email protected]
    >I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here
    >is
    > allergic so....I'm ok!
    >
    > I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    > that
    > sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar.
    > The
    > calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added
    > in
    > a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.
    >
    > Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    > fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    > bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    > to eat the recommended serving of.
    >
    > I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    > brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    > really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    > sweet, like Skippy is.
    >
    > I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced
    > sodium
    > and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    > that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    > fat and reduced sugar.
    >
    > Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    > live
    > without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    > lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    > version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    > want.
    >
    > Thanks....
    > --
    > ---
    > Love like you've never been hurt
    > Live like there's no tomorrow
    > And dance like there's nobody watching

  15. Sheryl  Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    Kat at [email protected] wrote on 9/25/05 11:15 AM:

    > Fresh ground, let sit out for a day or 2 and the oil will rise to the top.
    > Dump the oil (but save for cooking, it's wonderful)
    > We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just nasty.

    Well, ok, thanks for sharing your opinion, I guess.
    I think what you call "real" peanut butter tastes "just nasty", as you put
    it. What I call "real" peanut butter is the jar stuff. That fresh ground
    stuff is too gritty (in my opinion) to bother with.

    Again, you didn't answer my question, but thanks for getting it off your
    chest.

    I'm sure I'll catch flak for rendering my judgement and opinion on this
    subject, even though others do it all day long and they don't. Whatever.
    I should have known better than to ask a serious food related question here
    and expect an actual response to the question.

    > "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BF5B985A.72F4F%[email protected]
    >> I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here
    >> is
    >> allergic so....I'm ok!
    >>
    >> I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is
    >> that
    >> sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar.
    >> The
    >> calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added
    >> in
    >> a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.
    >>
    >> Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    >> fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    >> bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    >> to eat the recommended serving of.
    >>
    >> I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    >> brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    >> really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    >> sweet, like Skippy is.
    >>
    >> I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced
    >> sodium
    >> and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    >> that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    >> fat and reduced sugar.
    >>
    >> Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to
    >> live
    >> without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    >> lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    >> version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    >> want.
    >>
    >> Thanks....
    >> --
    >> ---
    >> Love like you've never been hurt
    >> Live like there's no tomorrow
    >> And dance like there's nobody watching

    --
    ---
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live like there's no tomorrow
    And dance like there's nobody watching

  16. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > " jdc1" <" jdc1"@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> So how do you tell when Peanut Butter has been in the jar too long
    >> and needs to be tossed?
    >> I've had a jar up in shelves for 8 months and noticed it's a bit
    >> darker in color now.
    >>

    > It will smell and taste rancid.

    Yep. At best, it will not smell so much like peanuts anymore. This
    week I had a jar in my pantry that I opened in June. It was almost
    empty, but didn't smell quite right. It didn't smell *horrible*, but
    just not that good. I opened up a fresh jar of the same brand, and the
    difference was amazing.

    So I never buy giant Costco-sized jars of peanut butter anymore...we
    don't go through it quickly enough, and I'd end up throwing much of it
    away anyhow.

    8 months? Chuck it and get a new, small jar.

  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BF5C3ADB.73236%[email protected]

    > I'm sure I'll catch flak for rendering my judgement and opinion on
    > this
    > subject, even though others do it all day long and they don't.
    > Whatever.
    > I should have known better than to ask a serious food related question
    > here
    > and expect an actual response to the question.

    Ulp. I suppose next time I won't bother with an actual response.

  18. Paul M. Cook

    Paul M. Cook Guest

    "Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BF5B985A.72F4F%[email protected]
    > I eat peanut butter mostly in the privacy of my own home, and no one here

    is
    > allergic so....I'm ok!
    >
    > I bought a jar of Skippy Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (creamy) and wow is

    that
    > sweet! I think they overcompensated for the reduced fat by adding sugar.

    The
    > calorie count is the same, so they took out a few grams of fat and added

    in
    > a few grams of sugar, so the end result is the same calories.
    >
    > Frankly, it's vile and I'll finish the jar but will not buy Skippy reduced
    > fat again. I suppose I could just eat the regular stuff and eat a little
    > bit less than the 2 tablespoons...But I would rather find a better product
    > to eat the recommended serving of.
    >
    > I have been using Jif or Skippy "regular" and have also been eating store
    > brand peanut butters and frankly, they are pretty comparable....but I'd
    > really like to find a reduced fat peanut butter than isn't sickeningly
    > sweet, like Skippy is.
    >
    > I am familiar with "Simply Jif", which has reduced sugar and reduced

    sodium
    > and the peanut taste is really fantastic! But the fat isn't reduced and
    > that's more what I'm looking for. I would love to find a combo of reduced
    > fat and reduced sugar.
    >
    > Has anyone found such a thing? Peanut butter is not something I want to

    live
    > without, but I would like to find a healthier version of it. Jif makes a
    > lower fat version, and they make that "Simply Jif" reduced salt/sugar
    > version, but I don't think they do it in the same jar and that's what I
    > want.

    I only buy Laura Scudder's peanut butter. Have forever too. Skippy and
    Jiff are peanut butter flavored spreads. LS is as they say, peanuts and
    salt - that's all. Just stir it well, and store it in the fridge. The oil
    won't seperate that way. My favorite is the crunchy style.

    Paul

  19. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Sheryl Rosen wrote:
    > Kat at [email protected] wrote on 9/25/05 11:15 AM:
    >

    >>Fresh ground, let sit out for a day or 2 and the oil will rise to the top.
    >>Dump the oil (but save for cooking, it's wonderful)
    >>We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just nasty.

    > Well, ok, thanks for sharing your opinion, I guess.
    > I think what you call "real" peanut butter tastes "just nasty", as you put
    > it. What I call "real" peanut butter is the jar stuff. That fresh ground
    > stuff is too gritty (in my opinion) to bother with.
    >
    > Again, you didn't answer my question, but thanks for getting it off your
    > chest.
    >
    > I'm sure I'll catch flak for rendering my judgement and opinion on this
    > subject, even though others do it all day long and they don't. Whatever.
    > I should have known better than to ask a serious food related question here
    > and expect an actual response to the question.

    I doubt it. More likely since you asked a question and then spanked
    someone for trying to provide a helpful answer, people will just start
    ignoring you again. HTH :)

    Best regards,
    Bob

  20. Sheryl  Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    zxcvbob at [email protected] wrote on 9/25/05 7:33 PM:

    > Sheryl Rosen wrote:
    >> Kat at [email protected] wrote on 9/25/05 11:15 AM:
    >>

    >>> Fresh ground, let sit out for a day or 2 and the oil will rise to the top.
    >>> Dump the oil (but save for cooking, it's wonderful)
    >>> We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just nasty.

    >> Well, ok, thanks for sharing your opinion, I guess.
    >> I think what you call "real" peanut butter tastes "just nasty", as you put
    >> it. What I call "real" peanut butter is the jar stuff. That fresh ground
    >> stuff is too gritty (in my opinion) to bother with.
    >>
    >> Again, you didn't answer my question, but thanks for getting it off your
    >> chest.
    >>
    >> I'm sure I'll catch flak for rendering my judgement and opinion on this
    >> subject, even though others do it all day long and they don't. Whatever.
    >> I should have known better than to ask a serious food related question here
    >> and expect an actual response to the question.
    >>

    > I doubt it. More likely since you asked a question and then spanked
    > someone for trying to provide a helpful answer, people will just start
    > ignoring you again. HTH :)
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    How is "We only eat fresh (real) PB in our house ... the jar stuff is just
    nasty." a helpful answer to the question "is there a peanut butter that
    combines the lower sugar/lower salt aspect of Simply Jif with the reduced
    fat of Skippy Reduced fat?, because the reduced fat stuff is just too sweet
    for me"? It's not helpful at all.

    It should have been clear from the post that I was referring to processed
    peanut butter. I mentioned 2 of the 3 major brands. If the answer is no,
    then it's no.

    You people are too busy arguing over inanities like whether peanut butter
    should be allowed in public places, or the merits of changing your screen
    name, and why has tv news gotten so bad, to bother to read anything well
    enough to be able to comprehend what's being written.

    Like I said, I shoulda known better.
    --
    ---