Specialized 04 Roubaix Comp

marderj

Oct 3, 2003
I am looking for a new road bike and I read an article on the 04 Specialized Roubaix Comp.

Has anyone ridden or have any input on this bike?

Thanks,

Jeff M.

Hi. I am new to the cycling world and the Roubaix Comp is my first road bike. I test rode a LiteSpeed Firenze and a lower end Specialized and the carbon was significantly more comfortable. The Ultegra components handle well and this bike gets a lot of attention from other cyclists for the stellar paint job. The bike shop that I bought my bike misquoted the price at $1995 so I got a steal. My dilemma is I am 5'11 and bought a 54 cent frame and am thinking I should have gotten a 56 (Which of course is out of stock). I highly recommend the bike if you want to go on long rides while being extremly comfortable. Try E-bay for DuraAce pedals to go with it. I picked up the 7800 SPD SLs for $139. Good luck!

Originally posted by marderj
I am looking for a new road bike and I read an article on the 04 Specialized Roubaix Comp.

Thanks,

Jeff M.

Originally posted by marderj

Thanks,

Jeff M.

In general I really like the Specialized road bikes, but I am a little leary about having the Zertz inserts right in the seatstays. What is they fall out, or the carbon cracks around it? It seems a little too gimicky and it certainly hasn't stood the test of time.

I find the Allez Comp or Pro to be quite comfortable (there is a carbon seatpost with a Zertz insert - seems to help the ride and much less risky), but I am sure some would feel the all aluminum frame is too stiff.

I guess it depends somewhat on how long you are riding, too. Personally, I am willing to trade a little comfort for stiffness/responsiveness.

Sounds to small to me. You'll never really enjoy it if indeed its the wrong fit. I'm 6' even and ride a 58cm.

The head tube on the Roubaix is Gigantic a 58cm has a 21 cm head tube compared to my 59cm Bianchi which has a 16cm headtube. This means that the handle bars are mounted much higher than a traditional road frame, though the top tube is short. The geometry of this bike is such that the riding position is very relaxed (almost city bike relaxed) so I would not worry too much about being on too small of a bike. If you feel comfortable, you are probably ok.

Check out the bike sizing graph on page 102 of Bicycling Magazine's 04 buyers guide.

vichercules has a point. My LBS, fortunately for me, had both the 54 and 56 cm for me to use and abuse for a couple of hours each. I ended up with the 54 (I am 5'10", though the actual ride wasn't noticably different to me.

Specialized introduced Zertz last year and my LBS has had no problems. Specialized had problems with the bonded carbon tubes they used in the early-mid 1990's, though, and LBS said that that Specialized replaced all of those frames (sold locally)-- even as late as 2003 (8 years after purchase). I agree that the inserts seem gimmicky, but if Specialized stands behind their product as well as LBS and the riders I know who ride Specialized have indicated... then I am much less concerned than had I purchased, say a Colnago instead.

I have had the bike all of one weekend-- and we had 18 inches of snow dumped on us-- but I loved the 25 mile test rides that I took. I also tested the Allez-- not at all comfortable for me personally (maybe the placebo effect after the Roubaix?).

Specialized has made an effort to carve out a piece of the OCLV market with this bike. I think once more people are aware of its existence, that availability will become scarce. From a comfort standpoint, I don't remember truly enjoying a ride as I did on this bike... except maybe when I was a kid!

So did you get the Roubaix? I'm 5'10" and got the 54 cm, felt really good and after 500 miles on it, it still feels good! I would commute on the Roubaix but I can't bear to put on lights, so I stick with my Sequoia for the ride into work.

I have the Pro frame and ultegra. Done about 3500k so far. This is simply a sensational bike. I cannot state clearly how much I like this bike. It's stiffer than Look and the Trek Madone as well as the Giant (04 ) and only the Giant is lighter. Scarponi (second in Tour of Austria) ride this bike 12 months of the year. Specialized give a lifetime warranty on the frame so don't worry about the inserts. BTW the inserts are patented and already there is one Italian firm licenced to use them with more looking to. I have Ksyrium wheels - I love this bike!

pola2485 said:
Hi. I am new to the cycling world and the Roubaix Comp is my first road bike. I test rode a LiteSpeed Firenze and a lower end Specialized and the carbon was significantly more comfortable. The Ultegra components handle well and this bike gets a lot of attention from other cyclists for the stellar paint job. The bike shop that I bought my bike misquoted the price at $1995 so I got a steal. My dilemma is I am 5'11 and bought a 54 cent frame and am thinking I should have gotten a 56 (Which of course is out of stock). I highly recommend the bike if you want to go on long rides while being extremly comfortable. Try E-bay for DuraAce pedals to go with it. I picked up the 7800 SPD SLs for $139. Good luck!

The 54cm has a TT of almost 55cm so it might be spot on for a 5'11" person.

Just got the Roubaix Pro frame (56cm) with Ultegra and Ksyriums myself. Sensational ride! I'm 6 foot and the frame size is perfect. The bike continuously draws admiring comments from all who see it and a small crowd gathered around it at the LBS when I rode down to pick up a new bottle cage!

The Roubaix replaced a steel frame 105 equiped biked and I initially wanted to get a titanium frame but the price could not compare to the deal I got on the Roubaix. Cant wait to go for another ride tommorrow morning...
:D

pola2485 said:
I am also 5' 11" and I measured out for the 56 cm bike. I have both 56 cm Roubaix Pro and a Sequoia Elite in Large (56 cm). Having said that - there are other measurements other than height that go into the matrix of measurements.

BTW, my intention was to buy a Roubaix Comp, but when I was able to buy a leftover 04 Pro for $3200, I couldn't resist!

jumpstumper said:
So did you get the Roubaix? I'm 5'10" and got the 54 cm, felt really good and after 500 miles on it, it still feels good! I would commute on the Roubaix but I can't bear to put on lights, so I stick with my Sequoia for the ride into work.

You bet I did! Bought the Comp shortly after my post in March and rode almost as much this spring/summer as I did when I was 17. I am also 5'10" and bought the 54 cm. Wouldn't trade it for a 56. Geometry is such a personal decision, though. BTW, I didn't swap the saddle out... and my rear commends me every ride over 30 miles... except in rain, when water fills the channel.

Interesting that Bicycling magazine has an article about "comfort speed" bikes-- it appears that Trek, Klein, and Giant now have similar offerings--a sign that Specialized made a dent in their sales last year!

Happy riding!