Specialized Allez Sport 2004

gobluebrett

Sep 14, 2004
Hi, this is my first post here and I look forward to there being many more. Anyways, I have a few questions. I just bought a 2004 Specialized Allez Sport last Saturday and it is a great bike. I love it. I was just wondering how that would compare to higher model Allezes and the like. See, I am only 15, so I was on a tight budget, and that was about as expensive as I could go ($750). I know it is a one of the cheaper Allezes, but I was wondering if it is a good enough bike that I could race. And, just because it's a "Sport" bike, does that mean it doesn't have performance? Thank you.

Brett.

gobluebrett said:
I know it is a one of the cheaper Allezes, but I was wondering if it is a good enough bike that I could race. And, just because it's a "Sport" bike, does that mean it doesn't have performance?
Nah, not at all. A company like Specialized has so many offerings that they've run out of meaningful ways to differentiate the names; there's a dozen or so members of the "Allez" line alone. Don't worry about the name.

Within a particular family of bikes, such as the Allez line, there's often only one or two actual frames between them; the frame, mind you, is the heart and soul of the bike. Its stiffness, durability, and low weight are what make the bike great or less than great. The 2004 Allez Sport frame, mind you, is the exact same frame as, for instance, the 2004 Allez Comp; the only difference is in the component level.

Components -- the drivetrain, in particular (the shifters, derailleurs, crankset and such) -- are sold in group levels, and between bikes with the same or similar frames, can account for price differences (wheels are the other big price changer). What seperates your bike's components from those of a bike costing hundreds or thousands more? Less than you might think. A bit of polish, a touch less weight, some refinement, slightly smoother action, maybe; nothing you'll notice when tackling the local race circuit for the first time.

Good luck, have fun.

Thanks. I didn't know for sure. Just for curiosity, though, how much less would an Alez Comp weigh? Probably less than a pound, right? Once again, thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Brett

lokstah said:
The 2004 Allez Sport frame, mind you, is the exact same frame as, for instance, the 2004 Allez Comp; the only difference is in the component level.

Similar. But I don't think it's exactly the same. Here's the specs from Specialized:

04 Allez Comp
FRAME - Specialized compact design, Columbus SLX tubing, double butted, heat-treated.

04 Allez Sport
FRAME - A1 Premium Aluminum, fully double butted, heat-treated.

The also look quite different as the Comp has an "aero style" seat tube.

Brett - The Allez range is great and as Loksta said the only major difference is the group set. Your Sport model has, according to the Specialized web site, has mostly Shimano Tiagra with a Shimano 105 Rear Derailleur and a few other bits and peices. The Comp has an almost entirely Shimano Ultegra group.

As far as weight. The Comp (my bike) is right at 19lbs. I'm not sure how much your is. Mine has the full Ultegra components.

Thanks for your replies guys. Just a question, how much would it cost to change the gear system from Tiagra/105 to Ultegra, or even Dura-Ace, because I love this bike and if anything I would just upgrade the shifting system if it's cheaper and still get a bike that performs nearly as good as a really expensive one. Thanks.

Brett

Dominic Sansom said:
Similar. But I don't think it's exactly the same. Here's the specs from Specialized:

04 Allez Comp
FRAME - Specialized compact design, Columbus SLX tubing, double butted, heat-treated.

04 Allez Sport
FRAME - A1 Premium Aluminum, fully double butted, heat-treated.

The also look quite different as the Comp has an "aero style" seat tube.

Brett - The Allez range is great and as Loksta said the only major difference is the group set. Your Sport model has, according to the Specialized web site, has mostly Shimano Tiagra with a Shimano 105 Rear Derailleur and a few other bits and peices. The Comp has an almost entirely Shimano Ultegra group.
True about the frame comparisons; I had meant to compare the SPORT to the ELITE model, not the COMP (they both use the Prem.A1 alloy).

Anyways, good points all around.

gobluebrett said:
Thanks for your replies guys. Just a question, how much would it cost to change the gear system from Tiagra/105 to Ultegra, or even Dura-Ace, because I love this bike and if anything I would just upgrade the shifting system if it's cheaper and still get a bike that performs nearly as good as a really expensive one. Thanks.

Brett
Yeah, that's big bones. A rough, super-rough guideline for thinking about bike costs is that the groupset can easily be half or more the value of the total machine, depending on the frame. With frame prices varying from a couple hundred to $2000 and beyond, there obviously aren't any meaningful rules here; just know that a drivtrain upgrade should be reserved for the most dearly loved, sweetly appreciated frame in your life.

It's probably best to ride that baby as it is for as long as you can (who knows... 3, 4 years?), love it, and then retire it when you're ready to buy that DuraAce monster. If you get the itch to upgrade it, look to the little things that can make a bike feel brand new: a new, better fitting saddle, or a lighter seatpost.

Have fun out there.

lokstah said:
It's probably best to ride that baby as it is for as long as you can (who knows... 3, 4 years?), love it...

Have fun out there.

Couldn't agree more.

Brett - Don't get too caught up with the "I gotta get more gear" syndrome. I look at top-of-the-line bikes and try and work out how much (and how long) it will take to own one. The main thing is to have fun and ride... ride like you stole it (I saw a tee shirt with this on and I think it sums up my/our passion for cycling very well).

If you really can't resist the urge to upgrade do it slow and smart. Subscribe to online store "special" email notifications. You can pick up some bargains that way. Check out eBay on a regular basis.

I've actually started collecting the pieces for my dream bike (an all carbon monster) by buying one item at a time. I managed to score a brand new FSA compact carbon crank and an insanely low price and I have a carbon seat post.... that's all I have at the moment... well you gotta start somewhere.

Dominic Sansom said:
I've actually started collecting the pieces for my dream bike (an all carbon monster) by buying one item at a time. I managed to score a brand new FSA compact carbon crank and an insanely low price and I have a carbon seat post.... that's all I have at the moment... well you gotta start somewhere.
Had a similar experience. I knew nearly a year in advance that I would be getting a custom-painted Klein Q-Pro, so I set out to meticulously gather the parts, slowly, over time. I trolled Ebay, RoadBikeReview classifieds, and the Nashbar, Performance, Supergo and Excel catalogues; I studied parts for their color and their weight. I bought a seatpost. Then I sold it. Then I bought a different seatpost. Then, wheels. I looked at them for a while. I bought bartape. I bought another, different color bartape. I pondered, I wondered...

...weeks, months, crept slowly by... Slow "bits and pieces" bike-shopping is painful bliss.

Anyway, now I've got her, and she looks and rides like a flying carpet.

Thanks a lot guys. I realize that you are right. This bike is great for a newbie road biker and in a few years I will either buy a nicer bike, or just upgrade the seatpost or something. Just out of curiosity, though, how much better would a Dura Ace or Ultegra crankset be than the Tiagra/105 combo, because the Shimano website says that the Tiagra is based off of the Dura Ace, Ultegra, and 105, and I absolutely love the 105 rear derailler (sp?). Thanks.

Brett

RobotDeathSquad said:
As far as weight. The Comp (my bike) is right at 19lbs. I'm not sure how much your is. Mine has the full Ultegra components.

Right same here for my Allez Comp. The 19 lbs includes pedals, but excludes the under-saddle tool bag.

Get a decent scale, weigh yourself, then weigh yourself again holding the bike, and subtract the first number from the second. If I was going to guess, I would say the sport is about 22 or 23 lbs, which isn't bad at all.

Bottom line is you have a really good bike, now get out there and put some miles on it. :D

gobluebrett said:
...how much better would a Dura Ace or Ultegra crankset be than the Tiagra/105 combo, because the Shimano website says that the Tiagra is based off of the Dura Ace, Ultegra, and 105, and I absolutely love the 105 rear derailler (sp?). Thanks.

Brett
You probably wouldn't notice the difference. Funny... I have an Ultegra Crank that came of my Allez comp when I replaced it with an FSA compac carbon crank... it's only done about 30km... the only probelm is I live 10,000km from anywhere.