Specialized Crankwheel replacement

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Twrud, May 9, 2003.

  1. Twrud

    Twrud Guest

    Own a 2001 rockhopper which I need to replace the crankwheels. The existing consist of a Specialized
    Forearm II Comp crank with 44Ax32sx22S supershift III chainwheels with bolt hole patterns of 64 &
    104mm. Will any chainring with the same bolthole pattern match up? Especially concerned about the
    large ring match to the crank arm.

    Help Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    "TWRud" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Own a 2001 rockhopper which I need to replace the crankwheels. The
    existing
    > consist of a Specialized Forearm II Comp crank with 44Ax32sx22S supershift
    III
    > chainwheels with bolt hole patterns of 64 & 104mm. Will any chainring
    with the
    > same bolthole pattern match up? Especially concerned about the large ring match to the crank arm.
    >
    > Help Thanks

    I went through the same process on my 2000 Rockhopper. I eventually gave up and upgraded to Shimano
    Deore hollowtech cranks c/w chainwheels - it didn't cost any more than just replacing the chainrings
    would have, and it hasn't given me any trouble in over a year of riding. What I really wanted was a
    46 or 48T big ring, but none of the LBSs could supply one. I did wonder if I should have upgraded
    the BB at the same time, but didn't bother. Dunno if I done right or not - no doubt someone will
    tell us . . .

    Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

  3. Twrud

    Twrud Guest

    You din't need to change the bottom bracket? My cranks have a square connection to the bottom
    bracke, assume the shimano was splined?

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "TWRud" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | You din't need to change the bottom bracket? My cranks have a square connection to the bottom
    | bracke, assume the shimano was splined?

    Deore cranks are undergoing a rolling conversion to octalink. For 2003, both versions will be
    available, with the square taper being phased out at the end (if not already, they may simply be
    burning up existing inventory.)

    To that I say DRAT!

    ---
    http://intergalax.com