Specialized Crankwheel replacement

Twrud

Guest
Own a 2001 rockhopper which I need to replace the crankwheels. The existing consist of a Specialized
Forearm II Comp crank with 44Ax32sx22S supershift III chainwheels with bolt hole patterns of 64 &
104mm. Will any chainring with the same bolthole pattern match up? Especially concerned about the
large ring match to the crank arm.

Help Thanks

"TWRud" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Own a 2001 rockhopper which I need to replace the crankwheels. The
existing
> consist of a Specialized Forearm II Comp crank with 44Ax32sx22S supershift
III
> chainwheels with bolt hole patterns of 64 & 104mm. Will any chainring
with the
> same bolthole pattern match up? Especially concerned about the large ring match to the crank arm.
>
> Help Thanks

I went through the same process on my 2000 Rockhopper. I eventually gave up and upgraded to Shimano
Deore hollowtech cranks c/w chainwheels - it didn't cost any more than just replacing the chainrings
would have, and it hasn't given me any trouble in over a year of riding. What I really wanted was a
46 or 48T big ring, but none of the LBSs could supply one. I did wonder if I should have upgraded
the BB at the same time, but didn't bother. Dunno if I done right or not - no doubt someone will
tell us . . .

Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

You din't need to change the bottom bracket? My cranks have a square connection to the bottom
bracke, assume the shimano was splined?

"TWRud" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| You din't need to change the bottom bracket? My cranks have a square connection to the bottom
| bracke, assume the shimano was splined?

Deore cranks are undergoing a rolling conversion to octalink. For 2003, both versions will be
available, with the square taper being phased out at the end (if not already, they may simply be
burning up existing inventory.)

To that I say DRAT!

---
http://intergalax.com