Specialized Epic 1993 Carbon-fiber frame

Neecole

Aug 27, 2004
Quick question, I have a chance to buy a specialized Epic 1993 Carbon fiber frame with shimano 600 components for $450.00. It rides well and has not been in any wrecks. I am worried about such an old carbon frame though? Do you think this is worth it?

Neecole said:
Quick question, I have a chance to buy a specialized Epic 1993 Carbon fiber frame with shimano 600 components for $450.00. It rides well and has not been in any wrecks. I am worried about such an old carbon frame though? Do you think this is worth it?

I used to own a 1990 Epic Carbon, bought used last year for $150 with Shimano 600 components. Nice frame, comfortable but very flexy at the bottom bracket level. First time I went uphill I thought we had an earthquake (I am in Northern CA). I then bought an aluminum frame (2001 Bianchi XL EV2: $250), the problem was gone and the ride was not much less comfortable but the bike was much more responsive and quick. I am now on a modern carbon frame (Time VX Pro), what a difference in comfort and yet very responsive.
The Epic was nice back then but compared to today's standard its a bit heavy and too flexy. It also comes with an aluminum fork so that doesn't help because it carries vibrations to the handlebar.
If you want a cheap carbon frame I would look at used Kestrel, Look, or Trek 5200 frames.