Speed probs in Polar S710

mzagorski

Jun 17, 2003
I've got a Polar S710 and the speed sensor doesnt always work! Sometimes its fine for a 6 hour ride... then the next day it stops recording speed after a few miles etc... or stop recording speed near the end of a ride. :confused:

For the past two days it has stopped recording speed!:mad:

Any ideas why this is happening? I've changed the battery for a brand new one... but doesnt fix problem. Tried moving the sensor closer etc to the magnet... doesnt help.

Im recording Cadence (which works fine) and Speed, but no Power sensors. Power is set to OFF in the watches settings.

Any advice welcome!

Mike

Hi,

I have been using a S710 since the beginnning of the year. I've had the problem you describe in the first week that I had been using the S710. The solution to my problem was to bring the speed sensor and magnet closer to the 710 receiver watch. I had installed mine too low. I guess the signal coming from the speed sensor is tuned for a maximum distance. If you think you can bring the speed sensor closer to the watch by mounting it higher on your fork that might help.

If not I have encountered interference problems where the S710 does'nt receive signal from the speed sensor at all that. Those never last more than a few seconds for me so far so it does'nt matter much. Even in the city it has'nt dropped out that much.

hope this helps.

alp!

I actually moved the sensor from my right for leg to the left and that seems to be working better... seems to be very distance sensitive eh!

That is what I have noticed as well. I suspect it is a design issue where the signal outputted from the speed sensor is setup to help the battery life of the sensor. Having a strong signal and battery life of 2 hours would be pretty useless :)

alp!

Try moving the magnet towards the rim and move the sensor accordingly, thus reducing the distance between the two. As long as the light on the sensor flashes, the problem is the distance between the sensor and the watch (do you have a bike mount?).

Originally posted by mzagorski
I actually moved the sensor from my right for leg to the left and that seems to be working better... seems to be very distance sensitive eh!

Thats what I had to do, also move the sensor/magnet as far up the fork as possible, although I found this can create other problems if your wheel flex's abit.

cheers

The position of the watch is also key. On the wrist is out, and so, for me, is the nice gap in the middle of the aerobars. Mine has to be on the side of the bars, on the same side of the bike as the magnet.