On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:56:44 -0000, "Sky Fly" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Carnage means "massive slaughter, as in war; a massacre."
Quoted message said:Guy, when I think of 'carnage', I think of an action or a series of related actions caused on
purpose, as you might see during war.
Could equally apply to a natural disater. The root is from carnis, flesh, so all that's needed is a
big pile of bodies.
Quoted message said:I honestly don't think that the word 'carnage' describes what goes on on our roads - perhaps
another word should be found for this, but I'm not a big fan of word devaluation where words lose
their value because they used to describe any kind of event,
I think it's appropriate for two reasons: first, I think the scale of road death is shocking, and
the equanimity with which people accept it appalls me. Second, it actually includes the word "car"
so it works on an alliterative level, which appeals to me.
Quoted message said:if it was determined that the total number of deaths on the world's cycle over a period of decades
topped one thousand, would it be right to say that there was carnage on the world's cycle paths?
No, because the numbers of deaths are small. Road traffic fatalities are the leading cause of death
in the 4-16 age group. /that's/ carnage. Thousands dead every year. More people killed by cars in
the last century than in all the wars during the same period.
Quoted message said:I mean, what will be left to use to describe horrors like World War II if 'carnage' is used to
describe what happens on the roads?
"war."
Quoted message said:Or I don't know - perhaps you're happy using the word because because you (and others on this
thread) feel so strongly about the road death statistics.
Got it in one. We are orders of magnitude less likely to cause a road traffic death and at least two
or three times more likely to suffer one, yet we are told by the popular press that even the small
amount of traffic enforcement that goes on is intolerable, and that it is we, and children, and
pedestrians, who should learn to deal with the car, rather than it being car drivers' job to drive
carefully. Is it a surprise that feelings run deep?
Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.ukOpen ↗