UK and Europe · Public discussion

Speeding policeman's acquittal overturned

Started by Phil Cook · · Last activity · 22 posts · 1,025 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 February 2006
Last activity
15 February 2006
Original author
Phil Cook
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,025
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yes!

    From the BBC:

    A police constable who reached 159mph on a motorway has had his
    acquittal for speeding and dangerous driving overturned by the High
    Court.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4669594.stm

    I read in one of the rags today that it has never been an excuse for
    speeding to say "I'm Stirling Moss."
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  2. Phil Cook said:


    I read in one of the rags today that it has never been an excuse for
    speeding to say "I'm Stirling Moss."

    Although allegedly Ayrton Senna did get a "Who do you think you are,
    Ayrton Senna?" from a policeman once.

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  3. Tony Raven said:
    Phil Cook said:


    I read in one of the rags today that it has never been an excuse for
    speeding to say "I'm Stirling Moss."

    Although allegedly Ayrton Senna did get a "Who do you think you are,
    Ayrton Senna?" from a policeman once.

    And a chap named Nigel Mansell pulled over for speeding did have to
    produce his documents to show he wasn't actually taking the [censored].

    R.

  4. In article said:
    Phil Cook said:


    I read in one of the rags today that it has never been an excuse for
    speeding to say "I'm Stirling Moss."

    Although allegedly Ayrton Senna did get a "Who do you think you are,
    Ayrton Senna?" from a policeman once.

    I've heard the same story (apart from the name, obviously) about Stirling Moss.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_Moss repeats it:
    "For many years during and after his career, the rhetorical phrase "Who do
    you think you are, Stirling Moss?" was supposedly the standard question all
    British policemen asked speeding motorists. Moss relates he himself was once
    stopped for speeding and asked just that; he reports the traffic officer had
    some difficulty believing him."

  5. "Phil Cook" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yes!

    From the BBC:

    A police constable who reached 159mph on a motorway has had his
    acquittal for speeding and dangerous driving overturned by the High
    Court.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4669594.stm

    I read in one of the rags today that it has never been an excuse for
    speeding to say "I'm Stirling Moss."
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

    John Dankworth's defence was that the whine from the gearbox was F# and it
    should have been G if he was speeding:-) He was fined anyway.
    Graham

  6. Richard <[email hidden]> wrote:
    | Tony Raven wrote:
    | > Phil Cook wrote:
    | >> I read in one of the rags today that it has never been an excuse for
    | >> speeding to say "I'm Stirling Moss."
    | >
    | > Although allegedly Ayrton Senna did get a "Who do you think you are,
    | > Ayrton Senna?" from a policeman once.
    |
    | And a chap named Nigel Mansell pulled over for speeding did have to
    | produce his documents to show he wasn't actually taking the [censored].

    Hrothgar (Sir John) Habakkuk (one b, three ks in two places) used to
    claim that the one time he was stopped by the police, driving near y
    Fenni in the early hours of a Sunday morning, he had some difficulty
    of a similar kind. What he'd have done if he'd been called Jehu,
    goodness only knows.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven (junk@raven-

    family.com) said:
    Phil Cook said:


    I read in one of the rags today that it has never been an excuse for
    speeding to say "I'm Stirling Moss."

    Although allegedly Ayrton Senna did get a "Who do you think you are,
    Ayrton Senna?" from a policeman once.

    The version of this I heard went thus:

    Mr. Senna has, miraculously, found enough clear space on the London
    Orbital Car Park to get his 911 somewhere on the naughty side of 120
    mph. Plod takes a dim view of this.

    Plod: 'ello, 'ello, 'ello! 'oo d'you think you are, then? Nigel
    Mansell? Har har har!
    Senna: No, officer, I'm Ayrton Senna.
    Plod: Oh, a comedian are we, Sir?

    (Repeat from above with variations until production of a Brazilian
    passport settles matters. Though I imagine Plod may then have become
    confused by passport stating bearer's name to be "Ayrton Senna da
    Silva"...)

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Three blind mice, see how they run. Is this /really/ the best way to
    test shampoo?

  8. Alan Braggins said:

    I've heard the same story (apart from the name, obviously) about Stirling
    Moss.

    IIRC Moss was banned from driving for a year for changing lanes in the
    Mersey Tunnel. This caused a certain amount of difficulty because the
    possession of a valid UK driving licence was then essential to holding a
    UK racing licence.

    Mike

  9. In article <pan.2006.02.12.20.54.09.339642
    @firstnamelastname.com.invalid>, Mike Causer

    () said:
    Alan Braggins said:

    I've heard the same story (apart from the name, obviously) about Stirling
    Moss.

    IIRC Moss was banned from driving for a year for changing lanes in the
    Mersey Tunnel. This caused a certain amount of difficulty because the
    possession of a valid UK driving licence was then essential to holding a
    UK racing licence.

    He was once banned for two weeks after a busybody^w well-meaning member
    of the public reported him for what Moss described as "a spirited bit of
    cornering".

    In a Morris Minor, IIRC.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Hoc ardur vincere docet.

  10. Same thing happened to Schumi in America except the conversation went more like this:

    Pig: Who do you think you are, Nigel Mansell? (He was in the Indy car championship at the time)

    Schumi: No I'm Michael Schumacher!

    The Filth: Who's he?

    Then there was the time 'the busys' had to phone Ralf Schumachers wife to confirm that was who 'the rozzers' had pulled.

  11. MichaelB said:


    Then there was the time 'the busys' had to phone Ralf Schumachers wife
    to confirm that was who 'the rozzers' had pulled.

    Ralph Schumacher's wife was pulled by a policeman? Does he know?

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  12. Dave Larrington wrote on Monday 13 Feb 2006 12:32:

    Quoted message said:

    He was once banned for two weeks after a busybody^w well-meaning
    member of the public reported him for what Moss described as "a
    spirited bit of cornering".

    In a Morris Minor, IIRC.

    I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was. My first three cars were
    moggies and they were excellent for (relatively) fast cornering; they'd
    drift quite nicely through fast esses, despite their image of being
    only suitable for old ladies and vicars, and were very forgiving of
    over-exuberance. It's a pity they ever stopped making them, or
    something like them. With radial tyres and modern brakes and engine
    technology they'd make a superb beginners' car. I've not had so much
    fun on four wheels at or close to the speed limit since. 🙂

    The vans went even better than the saloons.

    --
    Regards
    Alex
    The From address above is a spam-trap.
    The Reply-To address is valid

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven (junk@raven-

    family.com) said:
    MichaelB said:


    Then there was the time 'the busys' had to phone Ralf Schumachers wife
    to confirm that was who 'the rozzers' had pulled.

    Ralph Schumacher's wife was pulled by a policeman? Does he know?

    He may not care, from what some of my Sinister Agents close to the F1
    biz maintain...

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Historians' Right To Work Campaign - We Demand A Continuing Supply Of
    History!

  14. Alex Potter wrote:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    In a Morris Minor, IIRC.

    I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was. My first three cars were
    moggies and they were excellent for (relatively) fast cornering; they'd
    drift quite nicely through fast esses, despite their image of being
    only suitable for old ladies and vicars, and were very forgiving of
    over-exuberance. It's a pity they ever stopped making them, or
    something like them. With radial tyres and modern brakes and engine
    technology they'd make a superb beginners' car. I've not had so much
    fun on four wheels at or close to the speed limit since. 🙂

    One of the main reasons I still drive one! (It was also why James Hunt
    drove an A35 Van).

    Peter

    --
    www.amey.org.uk

  15. Alex Potter said:

    Dave Larrington wrote on Monday 13 Feb 2006 12:32:

    Quoted message said:

    He was once banned for two weeks after a busybody^w well-meaning
    member of the public reported him for what Moss described as "a
    spirited bit of cornering".

    In a Morris Minor, IIRC.

    I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was. My first three cars were
    moggies and they were excellent for (relatively) fast cornering; they'd
    drift quite nicely through fast esses, despite their image of being
    only suitable for old ladies and vicars, and were very forgiving of
    over-exuberance. It's a pity they ever stopped making them, or
    something like them. With radial tyres and modern brakes and engine
    technology they'd make a superb beginners' car. I've not had so much
    fun on four wheels at or close to the speed limit since. 🙂

    The vans went even better than the saloons.


    The austin healey sprite is a sports bodied morris minor. Handles like
    a big go cart

    Dave

  16. dave said:

    The austin healey sprite is a sports bodied morris minor. Handles like a
    big go cart

    ITYF it's largely an A35 under the skin, not MM. I bought one after
    having an 848cc Mini Van; yes the Sprite was more fun but it was slower
    on the road. (Next car was a Cooper "S" and I'd love to have
    another...)

    Mike

  17. dave wrote on Monday 13 Feb 2006 20:45:

    Quoted message said:

    The austin healey sprite is a sports bodied morris minor. Handles
    like a big go cart

    Dad had one, if you mean the spridget? He'd never let me drive it 🙁 He
    always had a big grin when he did, though 🙂
    --
    Regards
    Alex
    The From address above is a spam-trap.
    The Reply-To address is valid

  18. Mike Causer said:
    dave said:

    The austin healey sprite is a sports bodied morris minor. Handles like a
    big go cart

    ITYF it's largely an A35 under the skin, not MM. I bought one after
    having an 848cc Mini Van; yes the Sprite was more fun but it was slower
    on the road. (Next car was a Cooper "S" and I'd love to have
    another...)

    Mike


    Sheesh nitpicking 🙂

    They can be made to go a lot faster 🙂

    Dave

  19. Alex Potter said:

    dave wrote on Monday 13 Feb 2006 20:45:

    Quoted message said:

    The austin healey sprite is a sports bodied morris minor. Handles
    like a big go cart

    Dad had one, if you mean the spridget? He'd never let me drive it 🙁 He
    always had a big grin when he did, though 🙂


    I had one when I were a lad. Still got it too. 🙂
    Dave

  20. dave said:
    Mike Causer said:

    ITYF it's largely an A35 under the skin, not MM. I bought one after
    having an 848cc Mini Van; yes the Sprite was more fun but it was slower
    on the road.
    Mike


    Sheesh nitpicking 🙂

    They can be made to go a lot faster 🙂

    Dave

    Twin SU's on a home made manifold and a reground cam made grandads A35
    van perform!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.