Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Speedmachine and Toxy ZR

Started by Bruce in Texas · · Last activity · 15 posts · 3,627 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
10 November 2004
Last activity
14 November 2004
Original author
Bruce in Texas
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,627
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Fellow recumbuteers. I am looking for infomation regarding the
    Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.
    I am interested in the following regarding the bikes:
    1. Overall build quality
    2. Your satisfaction with the bike after owning and riding
    3. Does the lack of suspension the front of the ZR hurt it and
    transfer road vibration to you?
    4. They are both heavy, how do they climb hills?
    5. Does anyone know the exact weight of the ZR without a
    "speedbag" and with a "speedbag"?
    Any other info is much appreciated.
    I currently ride a Rotator Pursuit.
    Bruce

  2. Bruce in Texas said:

    Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.

    Quoted message said:

    5. Does anyone know the exact weight of the ZR without a
    "speedbag" and with a "speedbag"?

    For a comparison of "real world weights" of several recumbents see:
    http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/33685.htm

    16. Speedmachine 22,50 kg
    23. Toxy ZR 14,25 kg

    I've ridden neither of these bikes, so I can't comment on most of your
    questions. Please note the name "Speedmachine" is a bit misleading.
    Actually it's a fast and very comfortable tourer, not a race bike. The
    Toxy ZR in fact is a real low racer with tremendous speed potential on
    the flats, but on wet asphalt and graveled paths climbing can become a
    bit problematic, due to the front wheel drive.

    Kurt

  3. Kurt Fischer said:

    For a comparison of "real world weights" of several recumbents see:
    http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/33685.htm

    16. Speedmachine 22,50 kg
    23. Toxy ZR 14,25 kg

    I'm more than somewhat surprised by the above figures. If my Speedmachine
    really weighs that much, I'm astonished that I can actually lift it! Note
    to self: weigh it tonight.

    I had a Toxy XR briefly in my care last year - transporting it down to the
    Words in Friedrichshafen and while undoubtedly lighter than the
    Speedmachine, still felt pretty portly. Admittedly that particular example
    had a Rohloff hub...

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  4. Bruce in Texas said:

    Fellow recumbuteers. I am looking for infomation regarding the
    Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.

    You might try emailing Ben Cooper, a recumbent dealer in Glasgow,
    Scotland who sells both and has demonstrator models of each in his shop,
    so he's fairly well up on differences and relative merits.

    [email hidden]

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. Dave Larrington said:

    Kurt Fischer wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/33685.htm

    16. Speedmachine 22,50 kg
    23. Toxy ZR 14,25 kg

    I'm more than somewhat surprised by the above figures. If my Speedmachine
    really weighs that much, I'm astonished that I can actually lift it! Note
    to self: weigh it tonight.

    I was also surprised by this weight and looking closer to the picture I
    discovered a probably quite heavy U-lock attached to the rear carrier.
    So the comparison isn't really fair, but even with four pounds less the
    Speedmachine still is far away from being a lightweight. The
    Speedmachine in picture 21 looks a lot lighter, but apparently hasn't
    been weighed.

    On the other hand, there's the fully faired ZOX-Bülk(the name of the man
    who has built the fairing) at 23.35 Kg, and that's not bad at all.

    Quoted message said:

    I had a Toxy XR briefly in my care last year - transporting it down to the
    Words in Friedrichshafen and while undoubtedly lighter than the
    Speedmachine, still felt pretty portly. Admittedly that particular example
    had a Rohloff hub...

    I wouldn't call the Toxy a lightweight either, but there were not that
    many light recumbents on the European market until Flux Z Pro,
    Velokraft, Razzfazz, M5 Carbon and the Challenge SL line came along.

    Kurt

  6. (Bruce in Texas) said:

    Fellow recumbuteers. I am looking for infomation regarding the
    Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.

    If you consider the Toxy be sure to get a test ride: for me the Zox is
    fine, but on the Toxy, with it's wider main tube, I was banging the
    chain pulley with my knees (YMMV, but check !.

    Also with any small wheeled, front wheel drive bent you need to check
    heel/derailer clearance (unless you go for a Rohloff hub gear !!

    Simon

    --
    Simon Kellett, Darmstadt, Germany | http://home.arcor.de/zoxed
    Hase Kettwiesel trike | ex-Pashley PDQ SWB
    Flux V220 CLWB | Zox20 Lowracer

  7. "Kurt Fischer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bruce in Texas said:

    Speedmachine and the Toxy ZR.

    Quoted message said:

    5. Does anyone know the exact weight of the ZR without a
    "speedbag" and with a "speedbag"?

    For a comparison of "real world weights" of several recumbents see:
    http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/33685.htm

    16. Speedmachine 22,50 kg
    23. Toxy ZR 14,25 kg

    I've ridden neither of these bikes, so I can't comment on most of your
    questions. Please note the name "Speedmachine" is a bit misleading.
    Actually it's a fast and very comfortable tourer, not a race bike. The
    Toxy ZR in fact is a real low racer with tremendous speed potential on
    the flats, but on wet asphalt and graveled paths climbing can become a
    bit problematic, due to the front wheel drive.

    Kurt

    wet asphalt and graveled paths can be problematic with a low racer using
    rear wheel drive too

    Don't ask how I know 🙂

  8. Kurt Fischer said:

    I was also surprised by this weight and looking closer to the picture
    I discovered a probably quite heavy U-lock attached to the rear
    carrier. So the comparison isn't really fair, but even with four
    pounds less the Speedmachine still is far away from being a
    lightweight. The Speedmachine in picture 21 looks a lot lighter, but
    apparently hasn't been weighed.

    Imbued with the spirit of SCIENTIFIC something or other, I weighed my
    Speedmachine last night, and found it to mass 20.8 kg. That's with the
    following spec:

    Large fibreglass seat + "Airflow" cushion
    Fibreglass "Tour" tailbox
    Front mudguard + Crudcatcher
    Tiller steering with additional bar ends in the middle of the bars
    2 x computers
    2 x Cateye EL300 front lights. mounted on a hefty Spce Grip workalike
    confected from a handlebar stem and piece of seat post
    2 x Cateye LD500 rear lights + home-brewed mounts
    105 chainset & BB
    105/XT derailleurs
    Hope XC hubs
    Hope brakes (M4 front, Mini rear)

    I usually have a toolkit and pump (1.5 kg), waterproof jacket (0.5 kg) and
    U-lock (1.3 kg) in the tailbox as well.

    FWIW, HP VElotechnik's web site quotes the weight of the tailbox as 3kg...

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  9. Dave Larrington said:

    Imbued with the spirit of SCIENTIFIC something or other, I weighed my
    Speedmachine last night, and found it to mass 20.8 kg. That's with the
    following spec:

    Large fibreglass seat + "Airflow" cushion
    Fibreglass "Tour" tailbox

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, HP VElotechnik's web site quotes the weight of the tailbox as 3kg...

    This weight sounds very reasonable. I started a thread in the German
    Liegeradforum concerning the Speedmachine's weight. So far there is one
    entry backing up your number. Hans gives a weight of 16,3kg without
    tailbox.
    On the other hand, Uwe(the man with the scale ;-)) claims his
    measurement to be accurate and Hartmut's bike has been weighed this year
    again at 20,4 kg, probably without U-lock.

    Anyway, here's the thread:
    http://f21.parsimony.net/cgi-bin/topic-indent.cgi?Nummer=37385&ThreadNum
    mer=58972

    And here is an updated link for the pictures. Sorry, I had them on my
    computer, so I didn't realize they actually were gone. Attention! A lot
    of pictures, may take a while to load.
    http://f21.parsimony.net/forum37385/messages/58980.htm

    BTW, Hans mentions the prospective weight of the new Speedmachine with
    carbon seat and aluminium rear will be under 14 kg.

    Kurt

  10. If you are in Texas, how were you planning to get a Toxy?

    Speedmachines are more readily available in N.Am., including used
    ones, and including ones with tail fairings, if you please.

  11. "john riley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you are in Texas, how were you planning to get a Toxy?

    Speedmachines are more readily available in N.Am., including used
    ones, and including ones with tail fairings, if you please.

    I'm in Texas and the closest place that had one was in Cincinnati Ohio, same
    with Challenge and Optima

  12. "If I am in Texas"?
    Well, I am in Texas. Look at the toxy website. The sell direct to
    individuals in the US. Last time I checked we were still part of the
    country.
    You are right though, the SM is more widely available both new and
    used. Both Toxy and SM have very good websites, SM is better. I
    think our USA brands could learn quite a bit about marketing if they
    would look at the HP Velotecknic and Challenge web sites. They make
    it very easy to understand what they are selling to include options.
    Rans comes close. This makes it easy for us in the isolated parts of
    the states to figure out what we what. I have never laid eyes on
    either a Speedmachine or Toxy ZR, but they are both beautiful as are
    the Challenge and Optima bikes.
    Bruce

  13. "Bruce in Texas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "If I am in Texas"?
    Well, I am in Texas. Look at the toxy website. The sell direct to
    individuals in the US. Last time I checked we were still part of the
    country.
    You are right though, the SM is more widely available both new and
    used. Both Toxy and SM have very good websites, SM is better. I
    think our USA brands could learn quite a bit about marketing if they
    would look at the HP Velotecknic and Challenge web sites. They make
    it very easy to understand what they are selling to include options.
    Rans comes close. This makes it easy for us in the isolated parts of
    the states to figure out what we what. I have never laid eyes on
    either a Speedmachine or Toxy ZR, but they are both beautiful as are
    the Challenge and Optima bikes.
    Bruce

    I haven't seen a Toxy other than the web but have ridden a Speedmachine
    (Indianapolis) and the pictures of it on HP's site don't do it justice, very
    nice ride

  14. [email hidden] (Bruce in Texas) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "If I am in Texas"?
    Well, I am in Texas. Look at the toxy website. The sell direct to
    individuals in the US. Last time I checked we were still part of the
    country.

    That is a theoretical proposition. Americans seem to beleive those UPS
    ads that make international shipping look like getting something from
    the next State. A bike from overseas could easily end up sitting at a
    customs broker hundreds of miles from your home with a big brokerage
    fee added for good measure. Might, or it might not happen that way
    but I have heard way too many stories where something like that did
    happened.

    Still part of the country, but not really part of the world....

  15. john riley said:

    [email hidden] (Bruce in Texas) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "If I am in Texas"?
    Well, I am in Texas. Look at the toxy website. The sell direct to
    individuals in the US. Last time I checked we were still part of the
    country.

    That is a theoretical proposition. Americans seem to beleive those UPS
    ads that make international shipping look like getting something from
    the next State. A bike from overseas could easily end up sitting at a
    customs broker hundreds of miles from your home with a big brokerage
    fee added for good measure. Might, or it might not happen that way
    but I have heard way too many stories where something like that did
    happened....

    I would try to find a LBS who would import the bicycle in question for a
    fixed fee. There have been several that in the past have imported
    bikes/trikes that lacked a US distributor into the US. A couple hundred
    dollars added to the price of a bike that is already well over $2K is
    worth eliminating the hassle in my opinion.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Rock Island County Illinois

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.