Spikes vs. HgA1c

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Preston Rich, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Preston Rich

    Preston Rich Guest

    If one had to choose which measurement should be more important to a T2 diabetic, reduction of
    spikes in BG or the level of HgA1c?

    -Preston

    Tags:

  2. K'Neh'A'Iw

    K'Neh'A'Iw Guest

    Preston Rich wrote:

    > If one had to choose which measurement should be more important to a T2 diabetic, reduction of
    > spikes in BG or the level of HgA1c?
    >
    > -Preston

    Its pretty well documented that if you maintain near normal BG level the HbA1c will follow. The
    detrimental effects of spikes have not been conclusively proved so it seem prudent to keep them to a
    minimum. I you do that I'm pretty sure your HbA1c will be just fine.

    --
    K'neH'a'Iw

    Uncloaking, Shields up.

  3. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Preston Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If one had to choose which measurement should be more important to a T2 diabetic, reduction of
    > spikes in BG or the level of HgA1c?

    If your A1c is too high, then do what you can to lower it. A high A1c means your numbers throughout
    the day are too high. If your A1c is fine, but you are still getting spikes, then work on lowering
    the spikes.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On 3 Feb 2004 13:48:56 -0800, [email protected] (Preston Rich)
    wrote:

    >If one had to choose which measurement should be more important to a T2 diabetic, reduction of
    >spikes in BG or the level of HgA1c?
    >
    >-Preston

    Why choose? Both are indicators of control, or lack of it. However, if I had to choose, reduction of
    spikes gives real-time information to act on. HbA1c is important, but if you've been doing something
    which spiked you for the past three months, that's three months of avoidable damage.

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

  5. Hemyd

    Hemyd Guest

    "Preston Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If one had to choose which measurement should be more important to a T2 diabetic, reduction of
    > spikes in BG or the level of HgA1c?
    >
    > -Preston

    I wouldn't like either to be high. I don't know if you can deliberately set out to have one or the
    other anyway. If I kept on getting maximum post prandial bg of, let's say, 8, but a HbA1c of 7.5 -
    I wouldn't like it - I would consider something strange is going on to increase my HbA1c. Nor
    would I want to get spikes of 11 or 12, no matter what my HbA1c was. That's my opinion, not base
    on research.

    Henry

  6. Preston Rich

    Preston Rich Guest

    All--

    My HbA1c runs about 5.5, my daily average BG runs around 120, but after a rather non-descript meal I
    can spike from a pre-meal level of 115 to 190-210 and back to 100-110 one hour later. I'm on 1 g
    Metformin bid. This to me is confounding. Any ideas?

    -Preston

    P.S. I just had a full VAP panel taken at Hopkins and my lipids are in very good shape.
    However, size and density pattern is mixed A,B rather that A, but my LDL is only 50, TC
    125, TG 150, HDL 45.

    Alan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 3 Feb 2004 13:48:56 -0800, [email protected] (Preston Rich) wrote:
    >
    > >If one had to choose which measurement should be more important to a T2 diabetic, reduction of
    > >spikes in BG or the level of HgA1c?
    > >
    > >-Preston
    >
    > Why choose? Both are indicators of control, or lack of it. However, if I had to choose, reduction
    > of spikes gives real-time information to act on. HbA1c is important, but if you've been doing
    > something which spiked you for the past three months, that's three months of avoidable damage.
    >
    > Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

  7. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    Insulin resistance isn't constant.

    Different things can affect it. Activity, hormone levels, etc.

    You've learned that you are likely less IR in the middle of the day, and more so at night.

    That's why it's all YMMV.

    Jennifer

    Preston Rich wrote:

    > All--
    >
    > My HbA1c runs about 5.5, my daily average BG runs around 120, but after a rather non-descript meal
    > I can spike from a pre-meal level of 115 to 190-210 and back to 100-110 one hour later. I'm on 1 g
    > Metformin bid. This to me is confounding. Any ideas?
    >
    > -Preston
    >
    > P.S. I just had a full VAP panel taken at Hopkins and my lipids are in very good shape. However,
    > size and density pattern is mixed A,B rather that A, but my LDL is only 50, TC 125, TG 150,
    > HDL 45.
    >

    > Alan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>On 3 Feb 2004 13:48:56 -0800, [email protected] (Preston Rich) wrote:
    >>

    >>>If one had to choose which measurement should be more important to a T2 diabetic, reduction of
    >>>spikes in BG or the level of HgA1c?
    >>>
    >>>-Preston
    >>
    >>Why choose? Both are indicators of control, or lack of it. However, if I had to choose, reduction
    >>of spikes gives real-time information to act on. HbA1c is important, but if you've been doing
    >>something which spiked you for the past three months, that's three months of avoidable damage.
    >>
    >>Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

  8. Preston Rich <[email protected]> quoth:
    >My HbA1c runs about 5.5, my daily average BG runs around 120, but after a rather non-descript meal
    >I can spike from a pre-meal level of 115 to 190-210 and back to 100-110 one hour later. I'm on 1 g
    >Metformin bid. This to me is confounding. Any ideas?

    Increase your metformin -- 1000 mg daily is barely therapeutic -- and cut down on the carbs in your
    diet. That should cut down on your spikes and reduce your A1c.

    Priscilla

  9. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    SORRY SORRY SORRY.

    My response was meant for a different post.

    I'm using a new newsgroup reader, and it punked me ; )

    Jennifer

    Jennifer wrote:

    > Insulin resistance isn't constant.
    >
    > Different things can affect it. Activity, hormone levels, etc.
    >
    > You've learned that you are likely less IR in the middle of the day, and more so at night.
    >
    > That's why it's all YMMV.
    >
    > Jennifer
    >

    > Preston Rich wrote:
    >
    >> All--
    >>
    >> My HbA1c runs about 5.5, my daily average BG runs around 120, but after a rather non-descript
    >> meal I can spike from a pre-meal level of 115 to 190-210 and back to 100-110 one hour later. I'm
    >> on 1 g Metformin bid. This to me is confounding. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> -Preston
    >>
    >> P.S. I just had a full VAP panel taken at Hopkins and my lipids are in very good shape. However,
    >> size and density pattern is mixed A,B rather that A, but my LDL is only 50, TC 125, TG 150,
    >> HDL 45.
    >>

    >> Alan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...

    >>> Why choose? Both are indicators of control, or lack of it. However, if I had to choose,
    >>> reduction of spikes gives real-time information to act on. HbA1c is important, but if you've
    >>> been doing something which spiked you for the past three months, that's three months of
    >>> avoidable damage.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

  10. T2_lurking

    T2_lurking Guest

    > and it punked me ; )

    Ho-Ho-Ho LOL

    Love the phrase, can I use it too?

    How can Sleepyman be so right about so many different things?

    First it was Atstein.

    Now it's the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots!

    How can I be such a fool?

  11. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    If Ashton Kutcher doesn't mind... then neither do I ; )

    Jennifer

    t2_lurking wrote:

    >>and it punked me ; )
    >>

    > Ho-Ho-Ho LOL
    >
    > Love the phrase, can I use it too?

  12. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On 4 Feb 2004 06:18:05 -0800, [email protected] (Preston Rich)
    wrote:

    >All--
    >
    >My HbA1c runs about 5.5, my daily average BG runs around 120, but after a rather non-descript meal
    >I can spike from a pre-meal level of 115 to 190-210 and back to 100-110 one hour later. I'm on 1 g
    >Metformin bid. This to me is confounding. Any ideas?
    >
    >-Preston
    >
    >P.S. I just had a full VAP panel taken at Hopkins and my lipids are in very good shape. However,
    > size and density pattern is mixed A,B rather that A, but my LDL is only 50, TC 125, TG 150,
    > HDL 45.

    Hi Preston

    The only idea I'd have is that I'd review the content of that "non-descript" meal and try not to
    repeat it - or that result. The jury is still out on damage by individual spikes; but I'm prepared
    to minimise them in case they find out in ten years that it's caused me problems. That doesn't mean
    I'd get obsessed about it, just try to tailor the diet to minimise it. Of course, if you don't
    regularly test, you don't know they happen.

    Incidentally, based on your A1c and Cholesterol, you seem to be doing something right :)

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

  13. He's taking 2000 mg a day -- 1000 b.i.d. is twice a day. ;)

    I'd think that fewer carbs and talking with the medical team re: some sort of additional meds
    intervention is in order, if it's determined that the spikes are too high.

    --
    T2 - HbA1c: 5.2% http://www.bollar.org/diabetes.htm