General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Spinach shouldn't be eaten raw?

Started by MrKrinkle · · Last activity · 37 posts · 881 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 October 2005
Last activity
6 October 2005
Original author
MrKrinkle
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
881
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent it's
    nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only that, but it
    also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad you ate it with.
    But if you cook it first then you get the nutrients. Is that true?

  2. MrKrinkle said:

    Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent it's
    nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only that, but it
    also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad you ate it with.
    But if you cook it first then you get the nutrients. Is that true?

    No. But there probably is a bit of truth to it. I believe spinach
    contains oxalates, which inhibit (not not totally prevent) the
    absorption of calcium and... iron? OTOH, cooking will destroy some (but
    not all) of the vitamins.

    Overall, I think it would be more nutritious raw -- it certainly makes a
    better salad raw!

    Best regards,
    Bob

  3. "MrKrinkle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent it's
    nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only that, but it
    also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad you ate it with.
    But if you cook it first then you get the nutrients. Is that true?

    Never heard of that. If you are taking Warfarin you should limit the amount
    of spinach (and all greens to some extent) because of the reaction with
    vitamin K

  4. "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    MrKrinkle said:

    Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent it's
    nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only that, but it
    also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad you ate it with.
    But if you cook it first then you get the nutrients. Is that true?

    Quoted message said:

    No. But there probably is a bit of truth to it. I believe spinach
    contains oxalates, which inhibit (not not totally prevent) the absorption
    of calcium and... iron? OTOH, cooking will destroy some (but not all) of
    the vitamins.

    Overall, I think it would be more nutritious raw -- it certainly makes a
    better salad raw!

    I did a quick little search and right away found two sites that backed up
    what he said, that it's better to be eaten cooked. I don't know about
    it's affect on other foods.

    nancy

  5. Quoted message said:

    that prevent it's

    Quoted message said:

    about it's affect on other foods.

    Two people in this thread who don't know the difference between "it's"
    and "its".

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that prevent it's

    Quoted message said:

    about it's affect on other foods.

    Two people in this thread who don't know the difference between "it's"
    and "its".

    Was that the most constructive comment you could make?

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    MrKrinkle said:

    Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent it's
    nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only that, but it
    also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad you ate it with.
    But if you cook it first then you get the nutrients. Is that true?

    I think you should eat it any way you like it depending on what you are
    cooking!

    Spinach raw makes fantastic salads and is great as a lettuce substitute
    in sandwiches.

    It's also great cooked by itself, and in quiches, cassaroles and
    frittatas.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    sf said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that prevent it's

    Quoted message said:

    about it's affect on other foods.

    Two people in this thread who don't know the difference between "it's"
    and "its".

    Was that the most constructive comment you could make?

    Indeed... ;-p
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  9. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that prevent it's

    Quoted message said:

    about it's affect on other foods.

    Two people in this thread who don't know the difference between "it's"
    and "its".

    (laugh) Well, I don't think your sentence is complete, and I am pretty
    sure you are supposed to put the . inside the quotes.

    Could be wrong.

    nancy

  10. Nancy Young said:

    "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    MrKrinkle said:

    Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent
    it's nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only
    that, but it also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad
    you ate it with. But if you cook it first then you get the
    nutrients. Is that true?

    Quoted message said:

    No. But there probably is a bit of truth to it. I believe spinach
    contains oxalates, which inhibit (not not totally prevent) the
    absorption of calcium and... iron? OTOH, cooking will destroy some
    (but not all) of the vitamins.

    Overall, I think it would be more nutritious raw -- it certainly
    makes a better salad raw!

    I did a quick little search and right away found two sites that
    backed up what he said, that it's better to be eaten cooked. I don't
    know about it's affect on other foods.

    nancy

    Then I feel mighty fine about the cream of spinach soup I made the other day
    🙂 Was going to be broccoli but the spinach in the freezer caught my eye.

    Jill

  11. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    MrKrinkle wrote:
    > Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent
    > it's nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only
    > that, but it also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad
    > you ate it with. But if you cook it first then you get the
    > nutrients. Is that true?

    Quoted message said:

    No. But there probably is a bit of truth to it. I believe spinach
    contains oxalates, which inhibit (not not totally prevent) the
    absorption of calcium and... iron? OTOH, cooking will destroy some
    (but not all) of the vitamins.

    Overall, I think it would be more nutritious raw -- it certainly
    makes a better salad raw!

    I did a quick little search and right away found two sites that
    backed up what he said, that it's better to be eaten cooked. I don't
    know about it's affect on other foods.

    nancy

    Then I feel mighty fine about the cream of spinach soup I made the other
    day
    🙂 Was going to be broccoli but the spinach in the freezer caught my eye.

    Jill


    I cannot eat spinach raw except for a couple of leaves. When I eat spinach
    steamed or blanched, I always pour over it a tablespoon of vinegar because
    I've heard that spinach will keep bind calcium and not let it be absorbed.
    That could be a hoax, I'm not stating it as fact, just simply my reason for
    using vinegar.

    I made this simple spinach dish last night, Quick and EASY! It was good.
    Creamed Spinach.

    Pour a batch of spinach into a hot pan (no water needed if you washed your
    spinach). Cook as long as you desire. Take it out and chop it.
    Add some butter (melt first) and cream to your pan and heat to point of
    boiling. Add back into your pan the spinach. Sprinkle on a little fresh
    nutmeg.
    Dee Dee

  12. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that prevent it's

    Quoted message said:

    about it's affect on other foods.

    Two people in this thread who don't know the difference between "it's"
    and "its".

    (laugh) Well, I don't think your sentence is complete, and I am pretty
    sure you are supposed to put the . inside the quotes.

    Could be wrong.

    nancy


    LOL, you are right, Nancy. The exception is the question mark.
    So funny.
    Dee Dee

  13. "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote

    > MrKrinkle wrote:
    >> Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent
    >> it's nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only
    >> that, but it also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad
    >> you ate it with. But if you cook it first then you get the
    >> nutrients. Is that true?

    > No. But there probably is a bit of truth to it. I believe spinach
    > contains oxalates, which inhibit (not not totally prevent) the
    > absorption of calcium and... iron? OTOH, cooking will destroy some
    > (but not all) of the vitamins.
    >
    > Overall, I think it would be more nutritious raw -- it certainly
    > makes a better salad raw!

    I did a quick little search and right away found two sites that
    backed up what he said, that it's better to be eaten cooked. I don't
    know about it's affect on other foods.

    nancy

    Then I feel mighty fine about the cream of spinach soup I made the other
    day
    🙂 Was going to be broccoli but the spinach in the freezer caught my
    eye.

    Jill


    I cannot eat spinach raw except for a couple of leaves. When I eat
    spinach steamed or blanched, I always pour over it a tablespoon of vinegar
    because I've heard that spinach will keep bind calcium and not let it be
    absorbed. That could be a hoax, I'm not stating it as fact, just simply my
    reason for using vinegar.

    I made this simple spinach dish last night, Quick and EASY! It was good.
    Creamed Spinach.

    Pour a batch of spinach into a hot pan (no water needed if you washed your
    spinach). Cook as long as you desire. Take it out and chop it.
    Add some butter (melt first) and cream to your pan and heat to point of
    boiling. Add back into your pan the spinach. Sprinkle on a little fresh
    nutmeg.
    Dee Dee

    I make spinach in a similar way. After having boiled them, you squeeze. Then
    put them in a frying pan with liquefied butter. Salt, nutmeg (if you want)
    and a lot of grated Reggiano cheese. Mix for a minute till Cheese will
    become stringy.
    Gnam Gnam!!! and Yum Yum!
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


  14. zxcvbob said:


    No. But there probably is a bit of truth to it. I believe spinach
    contains oxalates, which inhibit (not not totally prevent) the
    absorption of calcium and... iron? OTOH, cooking will destroy some (but
    not all) of the vitamins.

    Beware you kidney stone formers! If yours are calcium oxalate stones, as
    are mine, a few gulps of milk or a tums may tend to counteract the
    oxalate content of spinach (And other greens containing oxalates).
    Theory is that calcium + oxalates forms calcium oxalate in the bowels
    where the "stuff" is excreted, rather in the bladder/kidneys.

  15. Dumbdora said:


    After having boiled them, you squeeze. Then
    put them in a frying pan with liquefied butter.

    And the nutrients go down, down, down the drain... leave it to a dumb
    dago who has absolutely no business in a kitchen.

    Normal brained cooks saute tender leafy vegetables directly in fat
    (bacon fat is better than butter), no boiling, no squeezing. And if no
    fat is required simply steam, briefly. Only kitchen imbeciles ever
    boil spinach, and then to add insult to injury they toss away the
    water... DUH! There is never a reason to ever boil fresh spinach
    unless it's to remain in a soup... a *real* WOP who's ever made
    minestrone would know that. Dumbdora is a fraudulent dago and
    absolutely a kitchen fraud.

    Sheldon

  16. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dumbdora said:


    After having boiled them, you squeeze. Then
    put them in a frying pan with liquefied butter.

    And the nutrients go down, down, down the drain... leave it to a dumb
    dago who has absolutely no business in a kitchen.

    Normal brained cooks saute tender leafy vegetables directly in fat
    (bacon fat is better than butter), no boiling, no squeezing.

    <Snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Sheldon

    One of our favorites:

    Sauté pan
    Olive oil
    Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
    Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
    Finish with a splash of Balsamic.

    Alternate
    Sauté pan
    Olive oil
    Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
    add the Balsamic to reduce.
    Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
    Sauté & toss till lightly wilted.

    Dimitri

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dimitri said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Pandora said:


    After having boiled them, you squeeze. Then
    put them in a frying pan with liquefied butter.

    And the nutrients go down, down, down the drain...

    Saute tender leafy vegetables directly in fat
    (bacon fat is better than butter), no boiling, no squeezing.

    <Snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Sheldon

    One of our favorites:

    Sauté pan
    Olive oil
    Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
    Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
    Finish with a splash of Balsamic.

    Alternate
    Sauté pan
    Olive oil
    Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
    add the Balsamic to reduce.
    Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
    Sauté & toss till lightly wilted.

    Dimitri

    Add a bit of melted cheese...... ;-d

    I never boil spinach.
    I do sometimes steam it and other mixed veggies, but the steaming water
    gets frozen for later use in soup stocks as it's always loaded with
    veggie flavor. At least steaming does not use much water tho' and does
    not come into direct contact with the veggies.

    Sauteed' spinach IMHO is superior, but I use a mix of butter and olive
    oil.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  18. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >
    >> MrKrinkle wrote:
    >>> Someone told me that spinach has some chemicals in it that prevent
    >>> it's nutrients from being absorbed into the body, and not only
    >>> that, but it also prvents the nutrients from the rest of the salad
    >>> you ate it with. But if you cook it first then you get the
    >>> nutrients. Is that true?
    >
    >> No. But there probably is a bit of truth to it. I believe spinach
    >> contains oxalates, which inhibit (not not totally prevent) the
    >> absorption of calcium and... iron? OTOH, cooking will destroy some
    >> (but not all) of the vitamins.
    >>
    >> Overall, I think it would be more nutritious raw -- it certainly
    >> makes a better salad raw!
    >
    > I did a quick little search and right away found two sites that
    > backed up what he said, that it's better to be eaten cooked. I don't
    > know about it's affect on other foods.
    >
    > nancy

    Then I feel mighty fine about the cream of spinach soup I made the other
    day
    🙂 Was going to be broccoli but the spinach in the freezer caught my
    eye.

    Jill


    I cannot eat spinach raw except for a couple of leaves. When I eat
    spinach steamed or blanched, I always pour over it a tablespoon of
    vinegar because I've heard that spinach will keep bind calcium and not
    let it be absorbed. That could be a hoax, I'm not stating it as fact,
    just simply my reason for using vinegar.

    I made this simple spinach dish last night, Quick and EASY! It was good.
    Creamed Spinach.

    Pour a batch of spinach into a hot pan (no water needed if you washed
    your spinach). Cook as long as you desire. Take it out and chop it.
    Add some butter (melt first) and cream to your pan and heat to point of
    boiling. Add back into your pan the spinach. Sprinkle on a little fresh
    nutmeg.
    Dee Dee

    I make spinach in a similar way. After having boiled them, you squeeze.
    Then put them in a frying pan with liquefied butter. Salt, nutmeg (if you
    want) and a lot of grated Reggiano cheese. Mix for a minute till Cheese
    will become stringy.
    Gnam Gnam!!! and Yum Yum!
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


    Pandora, I will never forget seeing the spinach when we were in Italy a
    LOOOONG time ago. There was (outside) in a covered/screened in restaurant
    sitting waiting to be cooked on either a grill or fry-pan, many, many
    rounded balls of spinach which had been flattened (I recall a toothpick
    holding them together). I don't know how I got into cooking spinach this
    way: Making similar balls of blanched spinach, flattening them, and frying
    them in olive oil.
    Thanks for the hint, I will make it your way, tonight. I just cut up a slab
    of Parmisan Regg and put it in my new vacuum foodsaver last night. I will
    not waste it any more. I also cut off some of the rinds for soup. I kept
    some PR out, and I have some fresh spinach left and will try it your way for
    dinner tonight to serve with my lasagna. It's only 1:30 am, so I will have
    to wait. Gnam Gnam~~~~~~
    Dee Dee

  19. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dimitri said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Pandora wrote:
    >
    > After having boiled them, you squeeze. Then
    > put them in a frying pan with liquefied butter.

    And the nutrients go down, down, down the drain...

    Saute tender leafy vegetables directly in fat
    (bacon fat is better than butter), no boiling, no squeezing.

    <Snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Sheldon

    One of our favorites:

    Sauté pan
    Olive oil
    Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
    Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
    Finish with a splash of Balsamic.

    Alternate
    Sauté pan
    Olive oil
    Minced Garlic (sauté briefly)
    add the Balsamic to reduce.
    Loads of spinach (washed and dried)
    Sauté & toss till lightly wilted.

    Dimitri

    Add a bit of melted cheese...... ;-d

    I never boil spinach.
    I do sometimes steam it and other mixed veggies, but the steaming water
    gets frozen for later use in soup stocks as it's always loaded with
    veggie flavor. At least steaming does not use much water tho' and does
    not come into direct contact with the veggies.

    Sauteed' spinach IMHO is superior, but I use a mix of butter and olive
    oil.
    --
    Om.

    I never boil spinach, but I do 'blanch' it. But I would not save the water
    for stock -- it turns carrots brown.
    Red & green = brown.
    Dee Dee

  20. Dee Randall said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    >that prevent it's

    >about it's affect on other foods.

    Two people in this thread who don't know the difference between "it's"
    and "its".

    (laugh) Well, I don't think your sentence is complete, and I am pretty
    sure you are supposed to put the . inside the quotes.

    Could be wrong.

    nancy

    LOL, you are right, Nancy. The exception is the question mark.
    So funny.
    Dee Dee

    American English puts the period inside the quotes; British English puts
    the period outside the quotes. Haven't you read _Eats, Shoots, and Leaves_?

    --Charlene

    --
    Negotiating: The art of persuading your opponent to take the nice shiny
    copper penny and give you the wrinkled old paper money. -- Bayan, Rick;
    The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

    email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.