General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Split pea soup

Started by Serene · · Last activity · 68 posts · 1,252 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 April 2006
Last activity
4 April 2006
Original author
Serene
Posts
68
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,252
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–68 of 68
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Have you EVER been camping?

    Ever cooked over a hand-built open pit fire using rocks to support the
    skillet?

    Ever fried canned bacon or fresh out of the stream trouts?

    Ever picked and eaten or canned wild blackberries?

    So many good memories from REAL vacations with my parents.......
    --

    Oh, OM, I hope these aren't just memories for you! We try to go
    camping at least a few times each year with my brother and his family,
    and my brother and I mostly see it as an excuse to cook fabulous meals
    outdoors! Our spouses (who are not interested in cooking and think
    we're nuts) plan the hikes and activities, but we plan and execute the
    meals, and lemme tell you, we have folks from other camp sites (with
    cans of Dinty Moore beef stew on their picnic tables) wandering over to
    find out what the incredible smells are all about. We're now exploring
    the many wonderful uses of the camp dutch oven....very cool. Do
    yourself a favor and get back out there if you can!!

    Sandy

    It's been years... <sigh>

    Now that I've given away all of my poultry except one emu, an overnight
    camping trip to the lake in Georgetown is a real possibility. Mom is
    gone but dad lives with me so I can go with him. :-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    aem said:
    Quoted message said:


    Oh, OM, I hope these aren't just memories for you! We try to go
    camping at least a few times each year with my brother and his family,
    and my brother and I mostly see it as an excuse to cook fabulous meals
    outdoors! Our spouses (who are not interested in cooking and think
    we're nuts) plan the hikes and activities, but we plan and execute the
    meals, and lemme tell you, we have folks from other camp sites (with
    cans of Dinty Moore beef stew on their picnic tables) wandering over to
    find out what the incredible smells are all about. We're now exploring
    the many wonderful uses of the camp dutch oven....very cool. Do
    yourself a favor and get back out there if you can!!


    Camp cooking is a hoot. You've reached expert status in my mind when
    you can make biscuits in the dutch oven. -aem

    I've not tried that, and I DO own a dutch oven. :-) Hints please?
    Corn bread in a dutch oven would be wunnderful too IMHO.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Peter Huebner said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    I do use carrot but do not use celery in split pea soup.
    I don't think it needs it..... I prefer to keep the spicing to a minimum
    with peas. Other than the smoky flavor addition, I think peas can pretty
    much stand alone for a nice, pleasant flavor.

    I don't use fresh celery, I use a pinch of celery seeds though. Not always,
    but
    it kinda substitutes for smoked bacon hock :-)

    Quoted message said:


    I add some grated carrot just for the color appeal, and pre-sautee'd
    onions, and just a little garlic and salt free lemon pepper.

    I always do SPS in the pressure cooker (20mins) so the veges come out
    differently. I only quarter the onion and it's gone when I open the pot.
    I dice the carrot, and they're still there, if only just.

    Sometimes, for variety, I open the pressure cooker and add a cup of frozen
    baby
    green peas, then let it boil on, open, for 5 mins or so .... it adds a really
    delightful fresh note.

    -P.

    You are not alone... :-)
    I use only a pressure cooker anymore for making stock, beans, SPS or
    rice. My power bills have been out the roof lately, so I do whatever I
    can to cut back on electric usage. Pressure cookers are a real money
    saver.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    I've not tried that, and I DO own a dutch oven. :-) Hints please?
    Corn bread in a dutch oven would be wunnderful too IMHO.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    Not sure what hints you're interested in...how to *use* a dutch oven
    with coals at a camp site? How to cook in the dutch oven? Happy to
    help, no matter what! Start a new topic, and I will be there! And
    yes, cornbread is wonderful in a dutch oven over a camp fire.

    Sandy, happy that spring has arrived in Maryland, and looking forward
    to good camping soon!

  5. Sheldon said:

    No, no, no... that's called charred skin... no smoke passes through the
    foil. Anyway, where'd you learn to do Mickys... ya gotta wrap em in
    several layers of newpaper, never foil, that steams them... the outer
    pages will become charred/carbonized, increasing insulation, so the
    inner pages don't burn... an experienced Micky maker knows exactly how
    hot the coals and then adjusts the number of newspaper layers to suit.
    And of course you can't do Mickys with purchased spuds, gotta get some
    scrawny Irish kid to steal em, the skinny Micks can run fast. I
    seriously doubt anyone has ever done a Micky in Tx, there were no Micks
    there, still aren't any, least not real Micks.

    Sheldon

    Wasn't there a flap over the ( bad ) chemicals in newspaper ink ?

    I don't know if they banned it,
    or were given one of those 20 year federal "timetable to correct"...

    ??

    <rj>

  6. <RJ> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Wasn't there a flap over the ( bad ) chemicals in newspaper ink ?

    I don't know if they banned it,
    or were given one of those 20 year federal "timetable to correct"...

    ??

    IIRC there was an issue over the inks but again IIRC the inks have now
    been switched to vegetable based so they no longer present a problem.
    I'd have to research the issue further. I know our recyclers will take
    regular newspaper but not glossy paper. There is some issue with the
    glossy paper but again I'd have to research to find out what it is.

    Quoted message said:


    <rj>

    --
    There is a thief amongst us who likes to steal other posters pics and
    post them as their own. This constitutes copyright infringement and
    theft of intellectual property. This is contrary to DMCA of 1998
    punishable by law. The same thief likes to harass other posters and is
    an internet stalker. This thief likes to use intimidation to harass
    other posters on rfc.

  7. Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Whoa, Andy! You didn't tell me you were that kind of boy. Have you
    met my friend Heather? ;o)

    Peace,
    Carol

    Oh! Sure, for Andy you got a friend....I like my womens just like my
    licorice...black and twisted.

    --
    -Alan

  8. On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:14:23 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Whoa, Andy! You didn't tell me you were that kind of boy. Have you
    met my friend Heather? ;o)

    Oh! Sure, for Andy you got a friend....I like my womens just like my
    licorice...black and twisted.

    Heather is definitely twisted, but unfortunately for you, she is
    Caucasian. <G>

    Peace,
    Carol

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.