iridemymuni said:i think we have to seperate between theory here and reality. in theory
yes they should be the same tension because of the components, in
reality, they are not the same tension, and that's just how it is.
OK, in reality I've just been round all my machines and compared the
wheel tension. In reality the spokes on my 20" unicycle have
noticeably lower tension than those on the 20" front wheel of my
recumbent. The spokes on my 26" Muni have lower tension than those on
my 26" bike wheels.
There are two particular reasons for this. One is that I make a point
of tensioning my bike wheels a couple of times a year, while the
unicycle wheels might go two or three years between checks (I think I
last did the Muni about 18 months ago and the 20" about 8 years ago).
The other is that the bike wheels have better quality components,
allowing me to get the spokes tighter.
Assuming equivalent components, I would, in reality as well as in
theory, tension the spokes on bike and unicycle wheels by the same
amount.
(The Coker spokes have the lowest tension of the lot, natch).
--
Danny Colyer
http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58360