UK and Europe · Public discussion

spokes and d-locks!

Started by Dave B · · Last activity · 27 posts · 679 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
24 January 2006
Last activity
26 January 2006
Original author
Dave B
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
679
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size

  1. Quoted message said:


    At a guess they probably replaced the broken spoke and trued the wheel
    up quickly. They should really have retensioned the whole wheel, but
    that takes longer. I would not now trust any of the existing spokes. If
    it were my wheel I'd replace them all. Either teach yourself how to do
    it (it's not as hard as it seems) or get the bike shop to do it, but
    make sure they treat it as a proper build and give the job to their
    wheel builder.


    I made the mistake of taking my wheel in for broken spoke replacement three
    times in as many weeks until I twigeed that a total rebuild would have cost
    the same so on the fourth vist I had the whole lot replaced and end of
    problem. Sometimes it's a duff brand of spoke.....

  2. Dave B said:

    [censored]! If I wanted a spelling/grammar lesson I would have asked
    for one. Yes there were a few errors (I'm knackered at the moment as
    my son has been ill for the last week) but I don't think there was
    any need for that.

    I'm don't post often and if that's the attitude of the group then I
    might not bother in the future.

    Stick around and you'll find that most contributors aren't sad or rude
    enough to correct spelling and grammar, except where it helps to clear up
    confusion. It was obvious what you meant so no need for correction.

    ~PB

  3. Mark Tranchant said:
    Dave B said:

    I checked the breaks

    brakes

    Quoted message said:

    against one break block.

    brake block

    Quoted message said:

    (the spokes have broke at the hub end)

    broken

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone else had this problem?.

    No. I lock my bike at work through the wheel and frame daily, and
    don't have this problem. I'm careful to ensure there's no load on the
    spokes when I leave it, though.

    Are you that concerned about wheel theft from the shed that you don't
    want to just lock it through the frame?
    --
    Mark.
    http://tranchant.plus.com/

    pedant.plus

    ffs
    --

    Martin Bulmer

  4. Dave B <[email hidden]> wrote:
    | Oh and before anyone asks I didn't try cycling with the lock still in
    | place!! (will anyone own up to doing this!!!?? :-) )

    I hope so. I've certainly done it a couple of times. It goes with
    leaving your gloves in the basket of the bike on the other side of
    the Sheffield stand, or carefully unmounting the lights you had
    inadvertently left on the bike when parking it. I haven't yet left
    my daughter in the trailer when locking up the bike, but my wife has.

  5. Geraint Jones said:

    Dave B <[email hidden]> wrote:
    | Oh and before anyone asks I didn't try cycling with the lock still in
    | place!! (will anyone own up to doing this!!!?? :-) )

    I hope so. I've certainly done it a couple of times. It goes with
    leaving your gloves in the basket of the bike on the other side of
    the Sheffield stand, or carefully unmounting the lights you had
    inadvertently left on the bike when parking it. I haven't yet left
    my daughter in the trailer when locking up the bike, but my wife has.

    I set once off on the tandem trike without daughter on rear :-(

    I've ridden several miles on the trice with the handbrake on - thinking I
    needed to get a lot fitter :-(

    But the most painful was when I'd left the lock at home and gone out on the
    Brommie.
    Outside a shop, I undid the hinge so that any thief would come a cropper.
    Yes, you guessed it - I came out of the shop, jumped on the bike and it
    duly collapsed in a heap resulting in two very bloodied and bruised knees
    :-(

    John B

  6. In article said:


    Oh and before anyone asks I didn't try cycling with the lock still in
    place!! (will anyone own up to doing this!!!?? :-) )

    I know someone who did it three times before realising what the problem
    was, at about 1am on New Years Day. He came back into the party to tell
    us about it, and I gave him and his bike a lift home in my car.
    (Since I was driving, I hadn't been drinking. He had.)

  7. Well I took it in and the guy in the shop had the same trouble as me.
    Spokes kept breaking as he tried to retension them, reckoned they were duff.
    As a result he rebuilt the wheel, for which they would normally have charged
    40 quid.
    However, they called the manufacturer who agreed to reimburse the cost under
    warranty (the bike is only 6 months old), so cost to me - nowt.
    Also it is nice to know that it wasn't just me being a klutz at adjusting
    the spokes.

    "vernon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    .

    Quoted message said:


    How much would you expect them to charge for the job?


    My LBS in Leeds charges around £8 for a retrue/retension. £25 for a
    rebuild
    including a full set of spokes

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.