UK and Europe · Public discussion

square BB axles....slightly different?

Started by AP · · Last activity · 29 posts · 764 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 January 2007
Last activity
26 January 2007
Original author
AP
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
764
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–29 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So it is. Duh. Many thanks. I'll take one! (& This will also work with that
    Veloce 2006 Jim Higson found, yes?
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

    or, for that matter, that ebay beastie,

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220072073182&rd=1&rd=1

    should its price remain vaguely tethered to the real world...

    I shall assume so less'un I hear otherwise. Forgive me if I've failed to
    register something that should be clear to a half-[censored] sloth, but I am
    trying to keep up.

    Thanks all

    Alan
    "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    In article <[email hidden]>, AP
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for all messages - much appreciated. Wish me luck!
    "Rob Morley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    In article <[email hidden]>, AP
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    So, perhaps this...

    http://www.cyclingbargains.com/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=96


    What's wrong with the £1.50 one from Ribble?

    It's British thread - I need Italian.


    The one I'm looking at is Italian IT70-111mm

    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=&=&GenCode=CAMPBTBR0200

  2. AP said:

    So it is. Duh. Many thanks. I'll take one! (& This will also work with
    that Veloce 2006 Jim Higson found, yes?


    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

    Yep, fine.

    Quoted message said:

    or, for that matter, that ebay beastie,


    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220072073182&rd=1&rd=1

    Should also be fine, unless the square taper bit has worn away over time, in
    which case it might come loose.

    If it has been properly fitted, though, that shouldn't happen.

  3. Thanks. Wish me luck! (ooh, it's so egg-siting!)
    "Jim Higson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    AP said:

    So it is. Duh. Many thanks. I'll take one! (& This will also work with
    that Veloce 2006 Jim Higson found, yes?


    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

    Yep, fine.

    Quoted message said:

    or, for that matter, that ebay beastie,


    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220072073182&rd=1&rd=1

    Should also be fine, unless the square taper bit has worn away over time,
    in
    which case it might come loose.

    If it has been properly fitted, though, that shouldn't happen.

  4. Lost the ebay one - went for £15 in the end. So what if anything is the
    problem with this one:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

    How come it's so cheap? Is it really heavy? Or is it just that people don't
    want these kind of things anymore (like the Italian-thread bottom bracvket
    for £1.50) and the sellers just want to get shot of them? £20-odd just seems
    awful low for that much Campagnolo metal.
    "Jim Higson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    AP said:

    So it is. Duh. Many thanks. I'll take one! (& This will also work with
    that Veloce 2006 Jim Higson found, yes?



    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

    Quoted message said:


    Yep, fine.

    Quoted message said:

    or, for that matter, that ebay beastie,



    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220072073182&rd=1&rd=1

    Quoted message said:


    Should also be fine, unless the square taper bit has worn away over time,


    in

    Quoted message said:

    which case it might come loose.

    If it has been properly fitted, though, that shouldn't happen.

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, AP

    (') said:

    Lost the ebay one - went for £15 in the end. So what if anything is the
    problem with this one:


    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

    Quoted message said:


    How come it's so cheap? Is it really heavy? Or is it just that people
    don't want these kind of things anymore (like the Italian-thread bottom
    bracvket for £1.50) and the sellers just want to get shot of them?
    £20-odd just seems awful low for that much Campagnolo metal.

    Campagnolo are changing how their bottom brackets work - following Shimano
    to hollow axles and outboard bearings. I honestly am not sure I see the
    reason, I don't know anyone who thinks old-style Campag BBs are
    unreliable. But retailers are left with a lot of old stock and they're
    unloading it just now.

    There's nothing wrong with Veloce. The weight quoted for the Veloce part is
    662g, compared to 660g for the equivalent Centaur or 653g for the
    top-of-the-range Record (although the carbon versions of the Centaur,
    Chorus and Record chainsets are lighter).

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    [ Disclaimer: This is a work displacement exercise. Please feel free ]
    [ to reply either on or off group. Expect lengthy replies until the ]
    [ deadline has passed. Thank-you for your cooperation. ]

  6. AP said:

    Lost the ebay one - went for £15 in the end. So what if anything is
    the problem with this one:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=CHAINSETS&Section=CHAR&GenCode=CAMPCHAR0650

    How come it's so cheap? Is it really heavy? Or is it just that people
    don't want these kind of things anymore (like the Italian-thread
    bottom bracvket for £1.50) and the sellers just want to get shot of
    them?

    I suspect Ribble are using it as a loss leader, in addition to the other
    reasons mentioned already.

    The Veloce chainset is no heavier than the "vintage" one you were hoping to
    buy, or the Centaur equivalent. The rings aren't the best quality --
    pressed instead of forged and machined (may not last quite as long and look
    dull and cheap) -- but they're OK. In fact they mesh and shift very well
    indeed.

    ~PB

  7. Simon Brooke said:

    Campagnolo are changing how their bottom brackets work - following
    Shimano to hollow axles and outboard bearings. I honestly am not sure
    I see the reason, I don't know anyone who thinks old-style Campag BBs
    are unreliable. But retailers are left with a lot of old stock and
    they're unloading it just now.

    The new design with integrated axle is lighter than the combo of crankset &
    separate BB. That's the main reason, that's what sells. They claim it's
    stiffer and easier to fit as well.

    ~PB

  8. Pete Biggs said:

    AP wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect Ribble are using it as a loss leader, in addition to the other
    reasons mentioned already.

    The Veloce chainset is no heavier than the "vintage" one you were hoping
    to
    buy, or the Centaur equivalent.

    Quoted message said:

    The rings aren't the best quality --
    pressed instead of forged and machined (may not last quite as long and
    look dull and cheap)

    About the longevity of the rings: if this is a concern, buy two, use the
    second one just for spare rings and sell the spare cranks for a tenner on
    eBay. You probably won't see them at this price again for a long time.

    The price is really very good. I spent more than that the last time I bought
    a single chainring! Like others have said, they're clearing out last year's
    stock now Campag have changed from the traditional square taper interface.

    I can't personally recommend Ribble, having never used them, but their
    prices on quite a few items seem very good.

    Quoted message said:

    -- but they're OK. In fact they mesh and shift very well
    indeed.

    ~PB

  9. Many thanks all, as ever. I'm persuaded. Just went to buy 'em. I will
    actually miss servicing my old bottom bracket - that's how sad *I* am - but
    I'm sure I'll get over it in time. Thanks again.

    Alan
    "Jim Higson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    AP wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect Ribble are using it as a loss leader, in addition to the other
    reasons mentioned already.

    The Veloce chainset is no heavier than the "vintage" one you were hoping
    to
    buy, or the Centaur equivalent.

    Quoted message said:

    The rings aren't the best quality --
    pressed instead of forged and machined (may not last quite as long and
    look dull and cheap)

    About the longevity of the rings: if this is a concern, buy two, use the
    second one just for spare rings and sell the spare cranks for a tenner on
    eBay. You probably won't see them at this price again for a long time.

    The price is really very good. I spent more than that the last time I
    bought
    a single chainring! Like others have said, they're clearing out last
    year's
    stock now Campag have changed from the traditional square taper interface.

    I can't personally recommend Ribble, having never used them, but their
    prices on quite a few items seem very good.

    Quoted message said:

    -- but they're OK. In fact they mesh and shift very well
    indeed.

    ~PB


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.