General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Squash and Spider Identification

Started by Damsel · · Last activity · 89 posts · 4,699 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 August 2005
Last activity
9 August 2005
Original author
Damsel
Posts
89
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,699
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–89 of 89
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ms. tonya said:

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
    beat you to the punch with this:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
    Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
    --Lia
    LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
    They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
    don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
    who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
    Not deadly, but gross.
    And those *are* crookneck squash, particularly nice done on the grill,
    brushed with a little oil. Also just fine cut into coins and steamed.
    Slightly sweet in taste. I use them in my squash casserole. A very nice
    squash they are 🙂
    Jill ------------------------------------------------------RESPONSE: ten
    years ago on my birthday I was admitted to the hospital for a brown
    recluse spider bite on my stomach. Doctors said if I had waited another
    24 hours chances were good I would have died because I had become an
    diabetic and didn't know till then.
    The worst part of hospital stay was doctors coming in my room at 5am
    couple of days later and using a scapel had to remove dead tissue from
    bite area and taking samples which later learned they were looking for
    eggs not knowing if spider was male or female.


    Ok this just happened after me going and visiting the site with the
    horrid spider bite and the resulting nacrosis. I grabbed a towel out of
    our little bath so I could dry my hair. Holding the towel facing me and
    head down to pop it over my head, this huge (could be huger than it
    really was but still a good 3/4" diameter) spider was lurking 🙁 I damn
    near [censored] myself being very paranoid over spiders. Once I started
    breathing again and the heart was pumping, I had presence of mind to
    stomp the living bejesus out of it and dump it into the toilet. DH was
    pretty proud of my wonderful accomplishment that I left in the toilet
    for him to see. Except, I hadn't stomped it enough it was still trying
    to crawl out! Flush, flush, oh what a relief it is. That thing could
    have been in my head biting its heart out. I'm pretty sure nacrosis in
    the head would not be a very good thing.

  2. ms. tonya said:

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
    beat you to the punch with this:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
    Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
    --Lia
    LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
    They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
    don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
    who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
    Not deadly, but gross.
    And those *are* crookneck squash, particularly nice done on the grill,
    brushed with a little oil. Also just fine cut into coins and steamed.
    Slightly sweet in taste. I use them in my squash casserole. A very nice
    squash they are 🙂
    Jill ------------------------------------------------------RESPONSE: ten
    years ago on my birthday I was admitted to the hospital for a brown
    recluse spider bite on my stomach. Doctors said if I had waited another
    24 hours chances were good I would have died because I had become an
    diabetic and didn't know till then.
    The worst part of hospital stay was doctors coming in my room at 5am
    couple of days later and using a scapel had to remove dead tissue from
    bite area and taking samples which later learned they were looking for
    eggs not knowing if spider was male or female.


    Ok this just happened after me going and visiting the site with the
    horrid spider bite and the resulting nacrosis. I grabbed a towel out of
    our little bath so I could dry my hair. Holding the towel facing me and
    head down to pop it over my head, this huge (could be huger than it
    really was but still a good 3/4" diameter) spider was lurking 🙁 I damn
    near [censored] myself being very paranoid over spiders. Once I started
    breathing again and the heart was pumping, I had presence of mind to
    stomp the living bejesus out of it and dump it into the toilet. DH was
    pretty proud of my wonderful accomplishment that I left in the toilet
    for him to see. Except, I hadn't stomped it enough it was still trying
    to crawl out! Flush, flush, oh what a relief it is. That thing could
    have been in my head biting its heart out. I'm pretty sure nacrosis in
    the head would not be a very good thing.

  3. ~patches~ said:
    ms. tonya said:

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
    beat you to the punch with this:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
    Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
    --Lia
    LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
    They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
    don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
    who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
    Not deadly, but gross.



    Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
    spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.
    All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
    rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
    them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
    the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
    because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
    bites.

    Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
    will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
    infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
    considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
    by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

  4. ~patches~ said:
    ms. tonya said:

    Julia Altshuler wrote:
    Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
    beat you to the punch with this:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
    Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
    --Lia
    LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
    They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
    don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
    who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
    Not deadly, but gross.



    Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
    spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.
    All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
    rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
    them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
    the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
    because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
    bites.

    Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
    will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
    infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
    considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
    by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

  5. Bubbabob rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net said:

    Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
    spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.
    All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
    rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
    them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
    the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
    because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
    bites.

    Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
    will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
    infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
    considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
    by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

    I like living up north. Boy, do I appreciate living up north!

    Carol

  6. Bubbabob said:
    Quoted message said:


    Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
    spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.
    All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
    rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
    them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
    the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
    because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
    bites.

    Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
    will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
    infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
    considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
    by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

    But that can be said of any compromise to the skin. Any
    inscision/puncture/cut can become infected. The venom will cause
    *some* tissue to die, but it isn't the venom that causes
    infections/abscesses like what is shown in the photo - THAT is caused
    by secondary infection, or cellulitis, etc. The spider bite
    in-and-of-itself isn't that damaging. There simply isn't enough venom
    to cause much damage.

    -L.

  7. Bubbabob said:


    ~patches~ <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
    They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
    don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
    who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
    Not deadly, but gross.



    Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
    spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.

    That's because the 'experts' call them 'Desert Recluse'. Apparently
    quite similar in effect though.

    Quoted message said:

    All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
    rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
    them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
    the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
    because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
    bites.

    Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
    will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
    infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
    considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
    by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

  8. Bubbabob said:


    ~patches~ <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
    They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
    don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
    who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
    Not deadly, but gross.



    Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
    spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.

    That's because the 'experts' call them 'Desert Recluse'. Apparently
    quite similar in effect though.

    Quoted message said:

    All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
    rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
    them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
    the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
    because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
    bites.

    Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
    will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
    infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
    considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
    by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

  9. Damsel said:


    Bubbabob rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net said:

    Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
    spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.
    All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
    rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
    them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
    the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
    because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
    bites.

    Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
    will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
    infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
    considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
    by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

    I like living up north. Boy, do I appreciate living up north!

    Carol

    Ah but we have other goodies too: Hantavirus, plague (yes that one),
    West Nile virus, bears, coyotes and bobcats. And that's just in the
    urban areas :p

    But the green chiles almost make up for it. Crop is coming in now
    yumyumyum.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.