General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Squirrel cull

Started by druidh · · Last activity · 95 posts · 1,802 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 January 2006
Last activity
29 January 2006
Original author
druidh
Posts
95
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,802
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 95
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Fran said:

    If you really want
    another rat, there's a ghastly feathered one that I absolutely loathe -
    the pigeon. Ick, horrible things.

    AOL.

    I nearly had to run over a woman today. I have seen her around
    before. She has a couple of plastic shopping bags from which she
    scatters handfuls of (what looks like) seed for the pigeons. Is she
    MAD? OK, I have made up my mind; she /is/ mad and I'm going to
    remonstrate with her. (Of course, being British, I shall merely
    mutter under my breath and hope she doesn't hear me.)

    Judith

  2. On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:20:51 -0000, "Craven" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "druidh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    They've got black ones in Canada (or is it just the air quality in
    Toronto?)

    Black squirrels are a variety of the eastern grey squirrel, Sciurus
    carolinensis

    They change colour in the summer, a bit like hares?? as they migrate
    north. It doesn't happen here but I have seen them black in New
    England.

    AJH

  3. In message <[email hidden]>, AndyP
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
    south east many years ago.

    I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
    the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.

    I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
    problem.

    What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    things!

    What, red ones are cute and cuddly but grey ones aren't? Isn't that
    slightly racist? How about spraying the grey ones red rather than killing
    them?

    What colour would you like? Shall we spray them red and make believe?

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Surfer!
    Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

  4. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:
    Fran said:

    If you really want
    another rat, there's a ghastly feathered one that I absolutely loathe -
    the pigeon. Ick, horrible things.

    AOL.

    I nearly had to run over a woman today. I have seen her around
    before. She has a couple of plastic shopping bags from which she
    scatters handfuls of (what looks like) seed for the pigeons. Is she
    MAD? OK, I have made up my mind; she /is/ mad and I'm going to
    remonstrate with her. (Of course, being British, I shall merely
    mutter under my breath and hope she doesn't hear me.)


    It's all the fault of that Poppins. Feed the birds, she says, I'll give
    'er 'feed the birds', bleedin' sparrers and pidgins, that's what they
    is. Feed the birds indeed, I'll flamin' feed /her/ to the birds that's
    what /I'd/ do. And just *look* at the mess they make an' [...NO
    CARRIER...]

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, W. D. Grey
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Cook
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    The reds are just as clever. It's just that the greys are bigger and
    can eat under-ripe nuts. In the LDNP they have feeders for reds that
    tip the heavier greys off.

    A feeder was designed so that the Reds could feed but the Greys
    couldn't.

    The Grey being 5 times as heavy as a Red would cause the feeder
    platform to descend, shutting off the food supply. The Red would be too
    light to lower the platform and thus enable it to feed unhindered.

    Err, not as much as 5 times.

    According to the Handbook of British Mammals:

    Red Squirrel: 230-435g

    Grey Squirrel: 350-705g

    Those are for adults. There is little apparent difference between the
    sexes but some regional variation.

    --
    Malcolm

  6. "Malcolm" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The Grey being 5 times as heavy as a Red would cause the feeder
    platform to descend, shutting off the food supply. The Red would be too
    light to lower the platform and thus enable it to feed unhindered.

    Quoted message said:

    Err, not as much as 5 times.
    According to the Handbook of British Mammals:
    Red Squirrel: 230-435g
    Grey Squirrel: 350-705g

    So not only are they discriminating on the basis of colour and poisoning any
    squirrel which isn't a fetching shade of red, they're also discriminating on
    the basis of size and not giving out free meals to those poor red squirrels
    who happen to be a bit on the podgy side. Scandalous.

  7. Fran said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:
    Fran said:

    If you really want
    another rat, there's a ghastly feathered one that I absolutely loathe -
    the pigeon. Ick, horrible things.

    Those feral rock doves you find in towns, yes. Woodies are quite cute.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I nearly had to run over a woman today. I have seen her around
    before. She has a couple of plastic shopping bags from which she
    scatters handfuls of (what looks like) seed for the pigeons.

    Quoted message said:

    It's all the fault of that Poppins. Feed the birds, she says....
    <snip rant>
    [...NO CARRIER...]

    <GROAN> No carrier indeed! It must have been got by a peregrine :-)
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  8. Following up to Fran

    Quoted message said:

    Feed the birds, she says, I'll give
    'er 'feed the birds', bleedin' sparrers and pidgins, that's what they
    is. Feed the birds indeed,

    of course house sparrows are becoming rare, so pass from vermin
    to protected icon of the past any time about now.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
    Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

  9. "The Reid" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Following up to Fran

    Quoted message said:

    Feed the birds, she says, I'll give
    'er 'feed the birds', bleedin' sparrers and pidgins, that's what they
    is. Feed the birds indeed,

    of course house sparrows are becoming rare, so pass from vermin
    to protected icon of the past any time about now.

    House Sparrows have never been classed as vermin.

  10. "Craven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "The Reid" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Following up to Fran

    Quoted message said:

    Feed the birds, she says, I'll give
    'er 'feed the birds', bleedin' sparrers and pidgins, that's what they
    is. Feed the birds indeed,

    of course house sparrows are becoming rare, so pass from vermin
    to protected icon of the past any time about now.

    House Sparrows have never been classed as vermin.

    Oops!!!!! Wrong

  11. Following up to Craven

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of course house sparrows are becoming rare, so pass from vermin
    to protected icon of the past any time about now.

    House Sparrows have never been classed as vermin.

    Oops!!!!! Wrong

    I didnt know myself, its pretty subjective!
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
    Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

  12. "Gordon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Mark Thompson <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly
    sweet things!

    Well, they _look_ cuddly and sweet.


    And clever, judging by the obstacle courses they have mastered to get to
    the nuts!
    Maybe if the prettier red squirrels weren't so dumb?.......

    Quoted message said:

    About the cull, it'll delay the spread of the greys for a few years or
    more
    but will have bugger all permanent impact unless people use the time
    gained
    to increase the habitats that suit Reds over the Greys. Doing anything
    else is just like stamping on ants.

    I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
    red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.

    Well they steal my nuts!

    Alan

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Gordon Harris

  13. "Fran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    About the cull, it'll delay the spread of the greys for a few years or
    more
    but will have bugger all permanent impact unless people use the time
    gained
    to increase the habitats that suit Reds over the Greys. Doing anything
    else is just like stamping on ants.

    I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
    red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.


    Neither do I, to be honest, unless 'they' are considering reintroducing
    red squirrels to those areas.

    They destroy birds as well, steal the eggs from the nests.

    Alan

    Quoted message said:

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  14. "W. D. Grey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Fran
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
    red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.


    Neither do I, to be honest, unless 'they' are considering reintroducing
    red squirrels to those areas.

    Grey squirrels do a tremendous amount of damage by raiding birds nests in
    the spring robbing out a whole hedgerow in one fell swoop. It's not only
    the Red squirrels that need conservation it's the birds as well.

    These Squirrels are just rats with bushy tails.

    That is almost an insult to rats!(:-)

    Alan

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  15. "Malcolm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    In article <[email hidden]>, W. D. Grey
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Cook
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    The reds are just as clever. It's just that the greys are bigger and
    can eat under-ripe nuts. In the LDNP they have feeders for reds that
    tip the heavier greys off.

    A feeder was designed so that the Reds could feed but the Greys couldn't.

    The Grey being 5 times as heavy as a Red would cause the feeder platform
    to descend, shutting off the food supply. The Red would be too light to
    lower the platform and thus enable it to feed unhindered.

    Err, not as much as 5 times.

    According to the Handbook of British Mammals:

    Red Squirrel: 230-435g

    Grey Squirrel: 350-705g

    Those are for adults. There is little apparent difference between the
    sexes but some regional variation.

    I prefer to kill the females, not that I've anyting aginst women, but for
    ever female squirrel you kill, you have robbed the world of several
    thousand!

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Malcolm

  16. "Gordon Burns" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    things!

    Alan

    They'll be the same people who think that foxes are cuddly lovable
    animals. They've never been inside a chicken run when a fox has kiled 30
    birds just for the taste of blood, and then eaten just half of one. Mostly
    townies I suspect. They should be culled as well!

    I agree, but they can be useful, when I have a dead squirrel I just leave it
    out and the fox takes it away.

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


  17. "AndyP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
    south east many years ago.

    I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long
    as
    the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.

    I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about
    the
    problem.

    What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    things!

    What, red ones are cute and cuddly but grey ones aren't? Isn't that
    slightly racist? How about spraying the grey ones red rather than killing
    them?

    That won't stop the buggers stealing my nuts!

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


  18. "Fran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    A cull is needed, but it's not something to cheer about. Just hope it
    works.


    Note the word 'cull', though. No one's planning to wipe out the grey
    squirrel (they'd better not try), but in those areas where there are
    still reds it would be wonderful to see them thriving instead of being
    pushed out more and more by the greys.

    Of course, you could also argue that the squirrel's main enemy is the
    Forestry Commission...

    Or you could say that the Forestry Commissionions main enemy is the
    squirrel!

    Alan

    Quoted message said:

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  19. Paul Cummings said:

    (Of course, being British, I shall merely

    Quoted message said:

    mutter under my breath and hope she doesn't hear me.)

    You're out of date. The way British people now react is to kick the *&%$£
    out of someone, whilst having a mate film it on your (stolen) mobile phone.

    Sadly, I think you may be right.

    Judith

  20. "Malcolm" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    In article <[email hidden]>, Geoff Berrow
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Message-ID: <[email hidden]> from Alan
    Holmes contained the following:

    Quoted message said:

    What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    things!

    They are.

    Why take it out on the squirrel? It's only doing what it evolved to do.


    Yes, but it's doing what it evolved to do in North America, not the UK.

    Quoted message said:

    Man, on the other hand, ought to know better.

    Should have known better than introduce it.

    Like the idiot who released damned parakeets in this area.

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Malcolm

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.