General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Standing vs Hand-held mixers

Started by Dee Randall · · Last activity · 27 posts · 797 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 March 2006
Last activity
29 March 2006
Original author
Dee Randall
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
797
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance differences
    between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did side-by-side tests
    on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue, cookies, cakes and butter cream
    frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread, something a
    hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique, the
    hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to those
    prepared in a standing mixer."

    There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    Dee Dee

  2. Dee Randall said:

    Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance differences
    between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did side-by-side tests
    on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue, cookies, cakes and butter cream
    frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread, something a
    hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique, the
    hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to those
    prepared in a standing mixer."

    It's interesting that they used it for egg whites, cookies, cakes and butter
    cream frosting, say that results for those things are virtually identical and
    then say that the stand up model is more versatile because the dough hook is
    good for kneading bread.

    I bought a decent stand up model a few years ago. I am not even sure where it
    is now. I stuck it in a closet somewhere because I didn't have room in the
    kitchen for things I don't really need. I have only made one batch of bread in
    the last two years and did that by hand. My hand held mixer has been able to
    handle everything else I need a mixer for.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance differences
    between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did side-by-side tests
    on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue, cookies, cakes and butter cream
    frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread, something a
    hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique, the
    hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to those
    prepared in a standing mixer."

    There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    Dee Dee

    Caught the ATC program recently and they were doing that exact
    comparison in one of the segments. the KitchenAid handheld of course won
    out in the handheld category.

    I still have my Sunbeam Mixmaster. It's about 12 years old and does a
    fine job of mixing. But I want to start experimenting with doughs and
    it's dough hooks are a joke. Hmmm - I know someone with a metal shop -
    maybe I should have them build me a dough paddle.

    But it'd probably be easier to plunk down a couple hundred and just get
    something capable.

  4. One thing the stand up has that the hand mixer doesn't is the "walk
    away" factor. This is huge if you have children in the house. I can
    start the whipped cream and then console a crying child while watching
    dessert finish itself.

    Yes, they are large and take up a lot of counter space, but I find it
    inspiring. Thirty minutes to cookies!

    If you embrace the KitchenAid and buy the attachments, the serious cook
    requires fewer tools in the kicthen with that massive motor to hook
    things to.

    Vickie McCorkendale

  5. "Culinary Vixen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    One thing the stand up has that the hand mixer doesn't is the "walk
    away" factor. This is huge if you have children in the house. I can
    start the whipped cream and then console a crying child while watching
    dessert finish itself.

    Yes, they are large and take up a lot of counter space, but I find it
    inspiring. Thirty minutes to cookies!

    If you embrace the KitchenAid and buy the attachments, the serious cook
    requires fewer tools in the kicthen with that massive motor to hook
    things to.

    Vickie McCorkendale

    I have so many appliances, that the KA mixer is just another one that takes
    up space. I put them all in an adjoining room to the kitchen (for now).
    When I use one, DH carries it into the kitchen for me -- If not for him, I
    probably wouldn't be using one, so I guess it's his job.
    Only problem with my current home, there's generally not enough room for a
    seating area, computers, TV's, stereos, books, in one open space. I think
    I'll gut the house and put up columns instead of walls. Just kidding! I
    can't even get to counter tops.
    Dee Dee

  6. Culinary Vixen said:

    One thing the stand up has that the hand mixer doesn't is the "walk
    away" factor. This is huge if you have children in the house. I can
    start the whipped cream and then console a crying child while watching
    dessert finish itself.

    Thank goodness there are none of those little creatures in my household
    anymore.

    I had to whip some egg whites the other day. For some reason, I did them by
    hand. By the time they were half done I was wishing that I had got out the
    hand held mixer, but it never occurred to me to search for the stand-up. If
    the option was bet by hand or get out the stand-up it would definitely be
    easier to do it by hand.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:

    Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance differences
    between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did side-by-side
    tests on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue, cookies, cakes and
    butter cream frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread, something a
    hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique, the
    hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to
    those prepared in a standing mixer."

    There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    Dee Dee

    Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two mixers that
    were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer purchased in 1937:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg

    And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg

    They both work as well as the day they were purchased.

    Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in 1973. I
    use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I also had a
    KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I inherited the "Dormey".
    The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)

    Wow - those are true relics but still functional.

    It's funny but I'm like that with phones. For example I own several
    models dating from the 30's on up.

    But I love that GE you've got there. It looks like something from a mad
    scientists lab. Being that I'm a mad scientist type it appeals to me.

  8. On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:

    Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance differences
    between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did side-by-side
    tests on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue, cookies, cakes and
    butter cream frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread, something a
    hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique, the
    hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to
    those prepared in a standing mixer."

    There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    Dee Dee

    Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two mixers that
    were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer purchased in 1937:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg

    And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg

    They both work as well as the day they were purchased.

    Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in 1973. I
    use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I also had a
    KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I inherited the "Dormey".
    The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  9. On Mon 27 Mar 2006 10:03:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it T?

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:

    Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance
    differences between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did
    side-by-side tests on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue,
    cookies, cakes and butter cream frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread,
    something a hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique,
    the hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical
    to those prepared in a standing mixer."

    There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    Dee Dee

    Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two mixers
    that were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer purchased in
    1937:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg

    And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg

    They both work as well as the day they were purchased.

    Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in 1973. I
    use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I also had a
    KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I inherited the
    "Dormey".
    The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)

    Wow - those are true relics but still functional.

    It's funny but I'm like that with phones. For example I own several
    models dating from the 30's on up.

    I have a couple of old phones, too, both from the 30's. One is a Western
    Electric with an oval cast brass base. The other is a French phone that
    has a little meter on top of the base which I assume kept a total of the
    number of calls.

    Quoted message said:

    But I love that GE you've got there. It looks like something from a mad
    scientists lab. Being that I'm a mad scientist type it appeals to me.

    Thanks! The GE has another cool feature that you can't see in the photo.
    There's a small bright light on the underside of the motor housing that
    shines down into the mixing bowl.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  10. In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 10:03:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it T?

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance
    > differences between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did
    > side-by-side tests on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue,
    > cookies, cakes and butter cream frosting.
    >
    > "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    > versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread,
    > something a hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    > We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique,
    > the hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical
    > to those prepared in a standing mixer."
    >
    > There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    > Dee Dee

    Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two mixers
    that were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer purchased in
    1937:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg

    And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg

    They both work as well as the day they were purchased.

    Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in 1973. I
    use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I also had a
    KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I inherited the
    "Dormey".
    The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)

    Wow - those are true relics but still functional.

    It's funny but I'm like that with phones. For example I own several
    models dating from the 30's on up.

    I have a couple of old phones, too, both from the 30's. One is a Western
    Electric with an oval cast brass base. The other is a French phone that
    has a little meter on top of the base which I assume kept a total of the
    number of calls.

    If by chance that oval base is more towards gold, and handset is cream
    colored you have what's called an Imperial. They took old 202 sets with
    E type handests, brought them in, plated them, added a white F type
    handset and matching cords, etc. These were pushed back into service
    during the 1950's. The original sets were in production in the 20's.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But I love that GE you've got there. It looks like something from a mad
    scientists lab. Being that I'm a mad scientist type it appeals to me.

    Thanks! The GE has another cool feature that you can't see in the photo.
    There's a small bright light on the underside of the motor housing that
    shines down into the mixing bowl.

    That greatly increases my "I want one." drool factor. I think I went to
    geek heaven the first time I saw a laser guided radial saw. And now they
    even have laser guided scissors. That mixer is like the precursor of the
    devices I mentioned.

  11. T <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 10:03:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it T?

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
    > On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > Dee Randall?
    >
    > > Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance
    > > differences between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they
    > > did side-by-side tests on whipped cream, egg whites for
    > > meringue, cookies, cakes and butter cream frosting.
    > >
    > > "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility
    > > and versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread,
    > > something a hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    > > We found however, that with some adjustments for time and
    > > technique, the hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods
    > > that are identical to those prepared in a standing mixer."
    > >
    > > There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    > > Dee Dee
    >
    > Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two
    > mixers that were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer
    > purchased in 1937:
    >
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg
    >
    > And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:
    >
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg
    >
    > They both work as well as the day they were purchased.
    >
    > Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in
    > 1973. I use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I
    > also had a KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I
    > inherited the "Dormey".
    > The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)
    >
    >

    Wow - those are true relics but still functional.

    It's funny but I'm like that with phones. For example I own several
    models dating from the 30's on up.

    I have a couple of old phones, too, both from the 30's. One is a
    Western Electric with an oval cast brass base. The other is a French
    phone that has a little meter on top of the base which I assume kept
    a total of the number of calls.

    If by chance that oval base is more towards gold, and handset is cream
    colored you have what's called an Imperial. They took old 202 sets
    with E type handests, brought them in, plated them, added a white F
    type handset and matching cords, etc. These were pushed back into
    service during the 1950's. The original sets were in production in the
    20's.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But I love that GE you've got there. It looks like something from a
    mad scientists lab. Being that I'm a mad scientist type it appeals
    to me.

    Thanks! The GE has another cool feature that you can't see in the
    photo. There's a small bright light on the underside of the motor
    housing that shines down into the mixing bowl.

    That greatly increases my "I want one." drool factor. I think I went
    to geek heaven the first time I saw a laser guided radial saw. And now
    they even have laser guided scissors. That mixer is like the precursor
    of the devices I mentioned.

    Funny subject, speaking of kitchen-aid stand mixers. I have one with most
    of the attachments.

    When was the last time you flipped the lockdown switch?

    Andy
    I will not testify!

  12. Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Funny subject, speaking of kitchen-aid stand mixers. I have one with
    most of the attachments.

    When was the last time you flipped the lockdown switch?

    I have a K5. AFAIK, it doesn't have a lockdown switch. The head is
    stationary and the bowl mount is operated by a lever to raise or lower
    it

    --
    Wayne Boatwright å¨åª

    Ya lucky BUM!!! ;-)

    Any other Waynes out there??? C'mon, testify! ;-)

    Andy

  13. T said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance differences
    between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did side-by-side tests
    on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue, cookies, cakes and butter cream
    frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread, something a
    hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique, the
    hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to those
    prepared in a standing mixer."

    There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    Dee Dee

    Caught the ATC program recently and they were doing that exact
    comparison in one of the segments. the KitchenAid handheld of course won
    out in the handheld category.

    I still have my Sunbeam Mixmaster. It's about 12 years old and does a
    fine job of mixing. But I want to start experimenting with doughs and
    it's dough hooks are a joke. Hmmm - I know someone with a metal shop -
    maybe I should have them build me a dough paddle.

    But it'd probably be easier to plunk down a couple hundred and just get
    something capable.

    I don't understand not using a stand-alone mixer AND a hand-held,
    although not both on the same project. (Although I do use both when I
    make my cream cheese chocolate mousse.) I couldn't get along without
    both in my kitchen, and in handy places. Who wants to stand there and
    hold a mixer when one could put the mix in a bowl in a stand-alone and
    do something else for a couple minutes while the mixture mixes? I also
    use the dough hook quite a bit. My KA mixer is always out (with a
    cover on it) - although it may be in a corner appliance garage in my
    new kitchen - and my hand-held is in a base cabinet, right in front,
    where I can grab it quickly.

    (I also use a stick blender for hot mixtures on the stove top, although
    I don't see any reason for a "boat motor" like Flay uses.)

    Both, not either/or. I don't see the reason for a comparison, as they
    are used for different things.

    N.

  14. "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:

    Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance differences
    between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did side-by-side
    tests on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue, cookies, cakes and
    butter cream frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread, something a
    hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and technique, the
    hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to
    those prepared in a standing mixer."

    There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    Dee Dee

    Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two mixers that
    were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer purchased in 1937:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg

    And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg

    They both work as well as the day they were purchased.

    Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in 1973. I
    use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I also had a
    KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I inherited the "Dormey".
    The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

    That's quite a collection -- if I weren't trying to rid myself of some
    possessions, I'd make a request for inclusion in your will to me.
    It only proves that they don't make things today like they used to. I oft
    wonder how they engineer these things to last vs. last a few years.

    I bought my first KitchenAid K5 in 1976. Somewhere in between 1973 and
    1976 maybe KA went to hell -- other's I know still have theirs and they work
    well, but until I started making bread in the late 80's, I didn't realize
    what a disaster it was. It didn't keep me from buying two more -- all
    because of cost, promotions and being talked into. I have no real
    experience with anything other than KA, so I doubt if I ever buy anything
    better (more expensive?) based on others' testimonials. Bread making has
    been my main use for KA; I think there are probably better brand options for
    me. I've investigated, but I know I'm not going to do anything about it
    unless I opened a bakery!

    I read all the responses to quite post -- quite interesting. Thanks for
    taking the time to post your links. I know you've used your equipment a
    lot, too, because I know you are quite interested in baking. By the way,
    are you feeling deprived or relieved, or just feels good to take a break
    from all your tasty desserts. When will you be taking a 'sugar' test --
    This word is used a lot in my family; just yesterday a cousin called and
    said that another cousin had sugar so bad, he looked like a bean pole. I
    have associated 'sugar' with weight, but not so, I guess.

    Trying to wake up! Can't do it this a.m., Too much sugar last night? No,
    as a matter of fact, I had all the proper things, maybe that's why I am so
    groggy. More tea! More tea!
    Dee Dee

  15. "Nancy1" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    T said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance
    differences between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they did
    side-by-side tests on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue,
    cookies, cakes and butter cream frosting.

    "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility and
    versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread,
    something a hand-held mixer can't do.) ...
    We found however, that with some adjustments for time and
    technique, the hand-held mixer generally yheilds baked goods that
    are identical to those prepared in a standing mixer."

    There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    Dee Dee

    Caught the ATC program recently and they were doing that exact
    comparison in one of the segments. the KitchenAid handheld of course
    won out in the handheld category.

    I still have my Sunbeam Mixmaster. It's about 12 years old and does a
    fine job of mixing. But I want to start experimenting with doughs and
    it's dough hooks are a joke. Hmmm - I know someone with a metal shop
    - maybe I should have them build me a dough paddle.

    But it'd probably be easier to plunk down a couple hundred and just
    get something capable.

    I don't understand not using a stand-alone mixer AND a hand-held,
    although not both on the same project. (Although I do use both when I
    make my cream cheese chocolate mousse.) I couldn't get along without
    both in my kitchen, and in handy places. Who wants to stand there and
    hold a mixer when one could put the mix in a bowl in a stand-alone and
    do something else for a couple minutes while the mixture mixes? I
    also use the dough hook quite a bit. My KA mixer is always out (with
    a cover on it) - although it may be in a corner appliance garage in my
    new kitchen - and my hand-held is in a base cabinet, right in front,
    where I can grab it quickly.

    (I also use a stick blender for hot mixtures on the stove top,
    although I don't see any reason for a "boat motor" like Flay uses.)

    Both, not either/or. I don't see the reason for a comparison, as they
    are used for different things.

    N.

    And the r.f.c Forkin' award goes to....

    N.

    Can I have an autograph? Uh-oh, here comes the press. Gotta go! ;-)

    Andy

  16. On Tue 28 Mar 2006 07:01:00a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it T?

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 10:03:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it T?

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
    > On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    > Randall?
    >
    > > Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance
    > > differences between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they
    > > did side-by-side tests on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue,
    > > cookies, cakes and butter cream frosting.
    > >
    > > "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility
    > > and versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread,
    > > something a hand-held mixer can't do.) ... We found however, that
    > > with some adjustments for time and technique, the hand-held mixer
    > > generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to those prepared
    > > in a standing mixer."
    > >
    > > There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    > > Dee Dee
    >
    > Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two mixers
    > that were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer purchased
    > in 1937:
    >
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg
    >
    > And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:
    >
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg
    >
    > They both work as well as the day they were purchased.
    >
    > Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in 1973.
    > I use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I also had a
    > KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I inherited the
    > "Dormey".
    > The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)
    >
    >

    Wow - those are true relics but still functional.

    It's funny but I'm like that with phones. For example I own several
    models dating from the 30's on up.

    I have a couple of old phones, too, both from the 30's. One is a
    Western Electric with an oval cast brass base. The other is a French
    phone that has a little meter on top of the base which I assume kept a
    total of the number of calls.

    If by chance that oval base is more towards gold, and handset is cream
    colored you have what's called an Imperial. They took old 202 sets with
    E type handests, brought them in, plated them, added a white F type
    handset and matching cords, etc. These were pushed back into service
    during the 1950's. The original sets were in production in the 20's.

    No the base is definitely brass, and the handset is black. It looks
    exactly like the one in this picture except for the finish. I also have
    the ringer box like this one.

    http://tinyurl.com/kovfq

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But I love that GE you've got there. It looks like something from a
    mad scientists lab. Being that I'm a mad scientist type it appeals to
    me.

    Thanks! The GE has another cool feature that you can't see in the
    photo. There's a small bright light on the underside of the motor
    housing that shines down into the mixing bowl.

    That greatly increases my "I want one." drool factor. I think I went to
    geek heaven the first time I saw a laser guided radial saw. And now they
    even have laser guided scissors. That mixer is like the precursor of the
    devices I mentioned.

    Yeah, it's pretty neat. :-) I also have the citrus reamer attachment with
    bowl and spout. I've seen a demonstration of the laser guided radial saw,
    but didn't know that had laser guided scissors. That's something I could
    use!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
    ________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  17. On Tue 28 Mar 2006 07:19:30a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?

    Quoted message said:

    T <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 10:03:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it T?

    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
    >> On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Dee Randall?
    >>
    >> > Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance
    >> > differences between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they
    >> > did side-by-side tests on whipped cream, egg whites for
    >> > meringue, cookies, cakes and butter cream frosting.
    >> >
    >> > "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility
    >> > and versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread,
    >> > something a hand-held mixer can't do.) ... We found however,
    >> > that with some adjustments for time and technique, the hand-held
    >> > mixer generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to those
    >> > prepared in a standing mixer."
    >> >
    >> > There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    >> > Dee Dee
    >>
    >> Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two
    >> mixers that were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer
    >> purchased in 1937:
    >>
    >> http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg
    >>
    >> And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:
    >>
    >> http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg
    >>
    >> They both work as well as the day they were purchased.
    >>
    >> Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in
    >> 1973. I use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I
    >> also had a KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I
    >> inherited the "Dormey".
    >> The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Wow - those are true relics but still functional.
    >
    > It's funny but I'm like that with phones. For example I own several
    > models dating from the 30's on up.

    I have a couple of old phones, too, both from the 30's. One is a
    Western Electric with an oval cast brass base. The other is a French
    phone that has a little meter on top of the base which I assume kept
    a total of the number of calls.

    If by chance that oval base is more towards gold, and handset is cream
    colored you have what's called an Imperial. They took old 202 sets
    with E type handests, brought them in, plated them, added a white F
    type handset and matching cords, etc. These were pushed back into
    service during the 1950's. The original sets were in production in the
    20's.

    Quoted message said:

    > But I love that GE you've got there. It looks like something from a
    > mad scientists lab. Being that I'm a mad scientist type it appeals
    > to me.

    Thanks! The GE has another cool feature that you can't see in the
    photo. There's a small bright light on the underside of the motor
    housing that shines down into the mixing bowl.

    That greatly increases my "I want one." drool factor. I think I went
    to geek heaven the first time I saw a laser guided radial saw. And now
    they even have laser guided scissors. That mixer is like the precursor
    of the devices I mentioned.

    Funny subject, speaking of kitchen-aid stand mixers. I have one with most
    of the attachments.

    When was the last time you flipped the lockdown switch?

    I have a K5. AFAIK, it doesn't have a lockdown switch. The head is
    stationary and the bowl mount is operated by a lever to raise or lower it

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
    ________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  18. Andy said:

    Funny subject, speaking of kitchen-aid stand mixers. I have one with most
    of the attachments.

    When was the last time you flipped the lockdown switch?

    Yesterday, making bread. Two-pound flour recipe.

    1976 4.5.

    Is it unusual to lock them down?

    Pastorio

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue 28 Mar 2006 07:01:00a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it T?

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 27 Mar 2006 10:03:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it T?

    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
    >> On Mon 27 Mar 2006 05:38:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    >> Randall?
    >>
    >> > Reading in a Cook's Illustrated 2003 about the performance
    >> > differences between both KitchenAid handheld and standing, they
    >> > did side-by-side tests on whipped cream, egg whites for meringue,
    >> > cookies, cakes and butter cream frosting.
    >> >
    >> > "Our conclusion: The standing mixer offers greater flexibility
    >> > and versatility. (It's dough hook is ideal for kneading bread,
    >> > something a hand-held mixer can't do.) ... We found however, that
    >> > with some adjustments for time and technique, the hand-held mixer
    >> > generally yheilds baked goods that are identical to those prepared
    >> > in a standing mixer."
    >> >
    >> > There were other comments. p. 24 Nov.& Dec. 2003 issue.
    >> > Dee Dee
    >>
    >> Dee, you might find this amusing... I still own and use two mixers
    >> that were owned by my mother. A GE 3-beater stand mixer purchased
    >> in 1937:
    >>
    >> http://i1.tinypic.com/sevzo5.jpg
    >>
    >> And a Dormeyer "Dormey" hand mixer purchased in 1952:
    >>
    >> http://i1.tinypic.com/sew1zp.jpg
    >>
    >> They both work as well as the day they were purchased.
    >>
    >> Before I inherited these mixers I purchased a KitchenAid K5 in 1973.
    >> I use it for yeast doughs and other heav-duty mixing. I also had a
    >> KitchenAid hand-held mixer that I gave away when I inherited the
    >> "Dormey".
    >> The Dormey outperformed the KitchenAid by a mile. :-)
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Wow - those are true relics but still functional.
    >
    > It's funny but I'm like that with phones. For example I own several
    > models dating from the 30's on up.

    I have a couple of old phones, too, both from the 30's. One is a
    Western Electric with an oval cast brass base. The other is a French
    phone that has a little meter on top of the base which I assume kept a
    total of the number of calls.

    If by chance that oval base is more towards gold, and handset is cream
    colored you have what's called an Imperial. They took old 202 sets with
    E type handests, brought them in, plated them, added a white F type
    handset and matching cords, etc. These were pushed back into service
    during the 1950's. The original sets were in production in the 20's.

    No the base is definitely brass, and the handset is black. It looks
    exactly like the one in this picture except for the finish. I also have
    the ringer box like this one.

    http://tinyurl.com/kovfq

    Ah yes - then you have either a Bell painted 202, or a customer modified
    unit. In any case production on the originals dated from the mid 20's to
    the mid 30's. The 302 which had everything in the desk set came out in
    the mid 30's to be replaced by the 500 series in the mid 50's.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > But I love that GE you've got there. It looks like something from a
    > mad scientists lab. Being that I'm a mad scientist type it appeals to
    > me.

    Thanks! The GE has another cool feature that you can't see in the
    photo. There's a small bright light on the underside of the motor
    housing that shines down into the mixing bowl.

    That greatly increases my "I want one." drool factor. I think I went to
    geek heaven the first time I saw a laser guided radial saw. And now they
    even have laser guided scissors. That mixer is like the precursor of the
    devices I mentioned.

    Yeah, it's pretty neat. :-) I also have the citrus reamer attachment with
    bowl and spout. I've seen a demonstration of the laser guided radial saw,
    but didn't know that had laser guided scissors. That's something I could
    use!

    Same here. I can't cut a straight line to save my life. I've used the
    time honored manner of creasing the paper first in one direction and
    then the next and gently tearing when the need arises.

  20. On Tue 28 Mar 2006 08:14:52a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:

    I bought my first KitchenAid K5 in 1976. Somewhere in between 1973 and
    1976 maybe KA went to hell -- other's I know still have theirs and they
    work well, but until I started making bread in the late 80's, I didn't
    realize what a disaster it was. It didn't keep me from buying two more
    -- all because of cost, promotions and being talked into. I have no
    real experience with anything other than KA, so I doubt if I ever buy
    anything better (more expensive?) based on others' testimonials. Bread
    making has been my main use for KA; I think there are probably better
    brand options for me. I've investigated, but I know I'm not going to do
    anything about it unless I opened a bakery!

    I don't think there's any question that the quality of KA mixers has changed
    over the decades. I'm not sure I'd want to buy one now.

    Quoted message said:

    I read all the responses to quite post -- quite interesting. Thanks
    for taking the time to post your links. I know you've used your
    equipment a lot, too, because I know you are quite interested in baking.
    By the way, are you feeling deprived or relieved, or just feels good to
    take a break from all your tasty desserts. When will you be taking a
    'sugar' test -- This word is used a lot in my family; just yesterday a
    cousin called and said that another cousin had sugar so bad, he looked
    like a bean pole. I have associated 'sugar' with weight, but not so, I
    guess.

    It's not necessarily so, but it is true in my case. I really needed to lose
    a considerable amount of weight. So far I am down 34 pounds. I do miss the
    homemade desserts, and I was even able to compensate for them from a diabetic
    standpoint, but they difinitely hinder any attempt at weight loss. It does,
    however, feel good to be off these foods for a while, and I'm feeling much
    better physically. I know that I can never go back to eating with abandon in
    the future without risking a weight gain. My doctor says that when I've
    reached my goal weight I will no longer need any of the medications. That's
    probably the best news.

    Quoted message said:

    Trying to wake up! Can't do it this a.m., Too much sugar last night?
    No, as a matter of fact, I had all the proper things, maybe that's why I
    am so groggy. More tea! More tea!
    Dee Dee

    It's rainy here today, which is certainly welcome, but it makes me sleepy
    too!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
    ________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.