General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

star anise and flu

Started by James · · Last activity · 9 posts · 484 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 October 2005
Last activity
18 October 2005
Original author
James
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
484
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "In addition, Stohr said, the starter ingredient for Tamiflu is a
    Chinese spice called star anise, whose seeds are used in flavorings,
    medicines and cooking oils. Most of the world production of star anise
    is located in four provinces of China, and the supply of it has been
    back ordered, primarily for drug production."

    Has anyone noticed if using star anise prevents flu? Any luck growing
    it? Could it be a cheap alternative to a flu shot?

    My dad loves it but I hate it. Maybe I need to learn to like it.

  2. I have no knowledge of star anise, but some studies showed elderberry
    extract (sambucol) gave results ONCE a person had the flu.
    Last year (read: during previous flu vaccine shortage scare) we got
    some to have on hand.

    The studies showed no preventative success, but we took some as such
    anyway. We did not catch the flu, but the people close to us didn't
    take sambucol didn't have it either. On the other hand, towards the
    end of the winter everybody had a round of the stomach virus and that's
    the first time I have had that in decades!

    Here's one of the articles:

    Elderberry (Sambucus nigra): In the 1980s, virologist Madeline
    Mumcuoglu, Ph.D., set out to determine by what mechanism elderberry
    successfully defeats the flu. She found that the action of elderberry
    extract was to prevent viral hemagglutinin, or the process of the
    invading cells using their spike-like projections to introduce its
    enzyme into healthy cell membranes. She further noted that the viral
    enzyme is also neutralized in the presence of elderberry extract.

    A 1993 placebo-controlled, double-blind study on Sambucal, a
    standardized extract of elderberry, was carried out in Israel with very
    interesting results. The extract inhibited hemagglutination and
    replication of several strains of influenza. In the elderberry-treated
    group, 93.3% experienced significant relief, including the absence of
    fever, within 2 days. The control group had an improvement of 91.7% of
    the subjects, but it took 4-5 days longer. There is no synthetic "cure"
    for influenza type A and B available with such a degree of efficacy.

    In addition to elderberry's ability to deactivate neutraminidase, the
    invading viral enzyme that is the threat of influenza, the berries are
    one of the richest sources of anthocyanins. Anthocyanins stimulate the
    body's immune response by promoting the production of lympocytes,
    "killer cells" that act as a second line of soldiers in the battle
    against foreign cells.

  3. James said:

    "In addition, Stohr said, the starter ingredient for Tamiflu is a
    Chinese spice called star anise, whose seeds are used in flavorings,
    medicines and cooking oils. Most of the world production of star anise
    is located in four provinces of China, and the supply of it has been
    back ordered, primarily for drug production."

    Has anyone noticed if using star anise prevents flu? Any luck growing
    it? Could it be a cheap alternative to a flu shot?

    My dad loves it but I hate it. Maybe I need to learn to like it.

    I could always tell the "professional" Beef Noodle Soup people from the
    amateur home cooks from whether they thought to include star anise.

    Damn, I like that this dish has great variation (clear broth, no
    mustard greens, etc.), but it's actually very hard to find a place that
    does Beef Noodle Soup with star anise.

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    James said:

    "In addition, Stohr said, the starter ingredient for Tamiflu is a
    Chinese spice called star anise, whose seeds are used in flavorings,
    medicines and cooking oils. Most of the world production of star anise
    is located in four provinces of China, and the supply of it has been
    back ordered, primarily for drug production."

    Has anyone noticed if using star anise prevents flu? Any luck growing
    it? Could it be a cheap alternative to a flu shot?

    My dad loves it but I hate it. Maybe I need to learn to like it.

    Why not get a flue shot? I can't see how taking some star anise would
    hurt, but your best bet to avoid contracting the flu is to get a flu
    shot.

  5. NYC XYZ said:

    I could always tell the "professional" Beef Noodle Soup people from the
    amateur home cooks from whether they thought to include star anise.

    Damn, I like that this dish has great variation (clear broth, no
    mustard greens, etc.), but it's actually very hard to find a place that
    does Beef Noodle Soup with star anise.

    Find a good Vietnamese Pho shop.

  6. Garlic is a great cure for the flu. It is also great for colds. If you
    take 3 cloves of garlic, peel it and put in a baby food jar and cover
    it in honey, put a cover on it and set it in a window sill. For a week
    let it set and keep adding honey. after the week, take the garlic out
    and you can save this for up to 6 months. Take a teaspoon every 4 hours
    when sick. Your virus will be gone within a day or so. It gets rid of a
    cold and sore thraot like that. Also good for a sor throat is eral
    black licorice. you can ge the real stuff at any health food store.

    James said:

    "In addition, Stohr said, the starter ingredient for Tamiflu is a
    Chinese spice called star anise, whose seeds are used in flavorings,
    medicines and cooking oils. Most of the world production of star anise
    is located in four provinces of China, and the supply of it has been
    back ordered, primarily for drug production."

    Has anyone noticed if using star anise prevents flu? Any luck growing
    it? Could it be a cheap alternative to a flu shot?

    My dad loves it but I hate it. Maybe I need to learn to like it.

  7. Does it need to be in direct sun? After the week should it be
    refrigerated?

  8. "mypet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have no knowledge of star anise, but some studies showed elderberry
    extract (sambucol) gave results ONCE a person had the flu.
    Last year (read: during previous flu vaccine shortage scare) we got
    some to have on hand.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Elderberry (Sambucus nigra): In the 1980s, virologist Madeline
    Mumcuoglu, Ph.D., set out to determine by what mechanism elderberry
    successfully defeats the flu. She found that the action of elderberry
    extract was to prevent viral hemagglutinin, or the process of the
    invading cells using their spike-like projections to introduce its
    enzyme into healthy cell membranes. She further noted that the viral
    enzyme is also neutralized in the presence of elderberry extract.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    In addition to elderberry's ability to deactivate neutraminidase, the
    invading viral enzyme that is the threat of influenza, the berries are
    one of the richest sources of anthocyanins. Anthocyanins stimulate the
    body's immune response by promoting the production of lympocytes,
    "killer cells" that act as a second line of soldiers in the battle
    against foreign cells.
    ==============

    So.... maybe I should drink a shot of Sambucca everyday - and avoid getting
    the flu altogether! Woo-hoo! I love natural remedies. LOL

    --
    Syssi

  9. Wow,

    I just saw a truck deliver 100 50KG bags of this stuff outside my house in
    Beijing. I thought someone made a delivery mistake. They are sitting in a
    storage area next to some buildings.

    I wonder what is going on with this.

    "James" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "In addition, Stohr said, the starter ingredient for Tamiflu is a
    Chinese spice called star anise, whose seeds are used in flavorings,
    medicines and cooking oils. Most of the world production of star anise
    is located in four provinces of China, and the supply of it has been
    back ordered, primarily for drug production."

    Has anyone noticed if using star anise prevents flu? Any luck growing
    it? Could it be a cheap alternative to a flu shot?

    My dad loves it but I hate it. Maybe I need to learn to like it.

    _______________________________________________________________________________
    Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
    <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.