Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Stem is losing from the handlebar

Started by Tasmisr · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,361 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 July 2003
Last activity
17 July 2003
Original author
Tasmisr
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,361
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just got a new bike (Union Flyer 2002 helios) with full suspension, and when I drive on the trail
    for a while, the Stem is losing from the handlebar and ofcourse I lose control of the bike, I tried
    to tighten it but keep losing... is there an Add ons that I could install to fix this problem?

    thanks, newbbee mountainer

  2. Quoted message said:

    Just got a new bike (Union Flyer 2002 helios) with full suspension, and when I drive on the trail
    for a while, the Stem is losing from the handlebar and ofcourse I lose control of the bike, I
    tried to tighten it but keep losing... is there an Add ons that I could install to fix this
    problem?

    thanks, newbbee mountainer

    Yes, but first you have to know the difference between "losing" and "loosing".

    Hint: "loosing" is not a word.

    Pedants rule!

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  3. (tasmisr) may have said:

    Just got a new bike (Union Flyer 2002 helios) with full suspension, and when I drive on the trail
    for a while, the Stem is losing from the handlebar and ofcourse I lose control of the bike, I tried
    to tighten it but keep losing... is there an Add ons that I could install to fix this problem?

    If you mean that the stem clamp for the handlebar is loosening up and not staying tight on the
    handlebar tube, check the clamp bolt(s) first; if that's what is coming loose, then the clamp
    probably was not properly torqued to begin with. If that's not loose, then adding a single layer of
    aluminum foil around the tube inside the clamp and retorquing the clamp bolt(s) might take care of
    it. Also check to make sure the bolt is not crossthreaded, as this will make it appear that the bolt
    is tight when it's not. If the word "crossthreaded" is not in your vocabulary, please consider
    obtaining the services of a qualified tech. (No kidding, there are people who don't know what it
    means, and I;ve encountered them with distressing regularity.)

    Before you do any repairs yourself, though, why not take it back to the bike shop and ask them to
    take a look? If, indeed, the unit is new, then presumably there's some sort of warranty on it.

    ---
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  4. Newbbee,

    Exactly where is it loosening? The interface of the handlebars and the stem or the stem from
    the forks? If the first is the problem, you may have too small a diameter set of handle bars.
    Get a compatible stem or handlebars. If the latter is the problem, what are you turning to
    tighten the stem?

    I have been out of biking for about 20 years, but it used to be there were two types of stems. One
    used a tapered plug that was pulled up into a hollow slit portion of the stem by the tightening
    screw. The other used a plug into which the bolt was threaded that had an angled flat interface
    that matched a similarly angled lower surface of the stem. Tightening the bolt caused the plug to
    move "sideways" and jamb against the hollow fork top tube.

    Unless there is a new permutation to this technology, I bet you have a tapered plug. These used to
    have two ribs that matched the slits in the stem to keep it from turning while tightening. Your ribs
    may be damaged allowing the plug to rotate during tightening. How about taking it to your local bike
    shop. This should not be a very expensive thing to fix.

    Good luck.

    Mike L.

    Ted Bennett said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just got a new bike (Union Flyer 2002 helios) with full suspension, and when I drive on the
    trail for a while, the Stem is losing from the handlebar and ofcourse I lose control of the
    bike, I tried to tighten it but keep losing... is there an Add ons that I could install to fix
    this problem?

    thanks, newbbee mountainer

    Yes, but first you have to know the difference between "losing" and "loosing".

    Hint: "loosing" is not a word.

    Pedants rule!

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  5. Mike Lewis may have said:

    Unless there is a new permutation to this technology, I bet you have a tapered plug.

    More recent mountain bikes have a completely different stem design; the stem clamps around the
    steerer tube instead of dropping into it. The old design is called a threaded tube because the steer
    bearings are held in place by a collar and a locknut that are threaded onto the tube, while the
    newer type is threadless (and the old locknut and collar has been replaced by a different
    arrangement.)

    ---
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  6. Ted Bennett said:

    Hint: "loosing" is not a word.

    Actually, it is. "That guy's been loosing his dogs daily for months!"

    Jasper

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.