Stem length/rise calculation help needed...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Yellowstone Yet, May 29, 2003.

  1. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a stem rise/length calculator or if anyone could help
    me figure out what stem I need. Presently I have a Kalloy Uno stem (near as I can figure, it is
    110mm length with a 7 or 7 1/2 degree rise). What I would like to do is keep my hand position the
    same horizontally, but raise the bars about 1
    1/2" vertically. I already have riser bars and would like to accomplish this with a new stem. Can
    anyone tell what rise/length of stem would achieve this goal? Also, what affect will it have on
    handling? I need to make the switch because I've got too much weight on my hands. I've already
    tried moving the seat fore/aft, different handlebar positions, etc. Measuring on a level plane, my
    bars are about 2" lower than my seat.

    Thanks for the help.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Yellowstone Yeti) wrote:

    >I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a stem rise/length calculator or if anyone could help
    >me figure out what stem I need. Presently I have a Kalloy Uno stem (near as I can figure, it is
    >110mm length with a 7 or 7 1/2 degree rise). What I would like to do is keep my hand position the
    >same horizontally, but raise the bars about 1
    >1/2" vertically. I already have riser bars and would like to accomplish this with a new stem. Can
    > anyone tell what rise/length of stem would achieve this goal? Also, what affect will it have on
    > handling? I need to make the switch because I've got too much weight on my hands. I've already
    > tried moving the seat fore/aft, different handlebar positions, etc. Measuring on a level plane,
    > my bars are about 2" lower than my seat.

    I love it when someone asks that question. Here's your answer:

    http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html