Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

STI 9 speed shifters

Started by Joel · · Last activity · 18 posts · 1,225 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 May 2007
Last activity
3 May 2007
Original author
Joel
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,225
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am building a project bike and have a pair of ST-7700 shifters left
    over from another bike I upgraded to 10 speed. One of the reasons I
    upgraded is that the right shift lever stopped working. Well I know I
    am probably screwed but I installed the shifter on the project bike
    and gave it the WD-40 flush but it did not help at all. It works ok
    shifting up, but when I shift down the inner lever hangs up and won't
    shift unless I hold the outer lever steady with one hand and push the
    inner lever with the other hand then it works but not very practical.
    Is there any way to repair this? I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    any more except used ones on ebay. Its hard to justify paying $300 or
    more for new 10 speed shifters plus the cassette and who knows what
    else to make it all work. I could get bar ends but don't really want
    to do that.

    Thanks - Joel

  2. "Joel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am building a project bike and have a pair of ST-7700 shifters left
    over from another bike I upgraded to 10 speed. One of the reasons I
    upgraded is that the right shift lever stopped working. Well I know I
    am probably screwed but I installed the shifter on the project bike
    and gave it the WD-40 flush but it did not help at all. It works ok
    shifting up, but when I shift down the inner lever hangs up and won't
    shift unless I hold the outer lever steady with one hand and push the
    inner lever with the other hand then it works but not very practical.
    Is there any way to repair this? I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    any more except used ones on ebay. Its hard to justify paying $300 or
    more for new 10 speed shifters plus the cassette and who knows what
    else to make it all work. I could get bar ends but don't really want
    to do that.


    Well, you have a couple of problems. First, the innards of a Shimano STI
    lever is very complex. Further, there are no instructions on repairing.
    Moreover, even if you could figure it out, small parts are non-existent. And
    that's the good news.

    Do a google search and look for Bill Cotton's STI repair instructions. There
    is also a guy who took apart his 105 STI levers and has a write up on
    cyclingforum.com tech section. I say good luck!

    If you really want integrated shifters, then you may want to forget Shimano
    STIs, and look into, yup, CAMPAGNOLO ERGO LEVERS. Not only are they
    rebuildable, i.e., every small part is available at any LBS that has a QBP
    account, but you can also find excellent instructions on how to rebuild it
    too.

    For instances, Andy Muzi's Yellow Jersey has the Campy ergo repair manual
    and an excellent write up by Paul Southworth.

    Prefer video? Then check out www.youtube.com, there's a couple of videos on
    disassembling and assembling ergo levers.

    For *less* than $300, you can get yourself a nice set of Campy ergo levers
    (Veloce or Centaur quality) AND a Campy rear der. Think about it!

  3. Joel said:

    I am building a project bike

    What is a project bike?
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  4. Joel said:

    I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    any more except used ones on ebay.


    I see new ones at icyclesusa.com. I am sure there are other vendors
    online.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. All of the major parts & accessory books have the 9 speed levers. Quality,
    KHS, Hawley, J&B, and those are just the ones laying on my desk...

    Part of the service that a good LBS extends is the ability to find the parts
    you need. Discount catalogues are just that. They sell what they can get
    cheap to sell cheap. Its alright if you are buying a known commodity product
    in a box. But as soon as you need a brain attached to the sale, you are
    stuck.

    The price for the 9 speed is very close to the 10. The real question is why
    go backward? I believe the 9 speed derailleurs will work with 10 speed
    levers. The freehubs will accommodate 10 speed cassettes.

    By the end of the year, I will upgrade all 7 of my roadbikes to 10 speed.
    Yeah, I know it is not necessary, but you know something, I want it... so
    there.

    Bruce

    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Joel said:

    I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    any more except used ones on ebay.


    I see new ones at icyclesusa.com. I am sure there are other vendors
    online.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. Joel said:

    I am building a project bike and have a pair of ST-7700 shifters left
    over from another bike I upgraded to 10 speed. One of the reasons I
    upgraded is that the right shift lever stopped working. Well I know I
    am probably screwed but I installed the shifter on the project bike
    and gave it the WD-40 flush but it did not help at all. It works ok
    shifting up, but when I shift down the inner lever hangs up and won't
    shift unless I hold the outer lever steady with one hand and push the
    inner lever with the other hand then it works but not very practical.
    Is there any way to repair this? I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    any more except used ones on ebay.

    $149.99 before 10% off coupon at Nashbar and free shipping coupon at
    Nashbar. 9 speed STI Ultegra rear and 9 speed 105 front. $135
    delivered.

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&brand=&sku=20301&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Shifters%2FBrake%20Levers%20%2D%20Road

    Its hard to justify paying $300 or

    Quoted message said:

    more for new 10 speed shifters plus the cassette and who knows what
    else to make it all work. I could get bar ends but don't really want
    to do that.

    Thanks - Joel

  7. email hidden said:

    On May 1, 12:46 am, Joel <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    $149.99 before 10% off coupon at Nashbar and free shipping coupon at
    Nashbar. 9 speed STI Ultegra rear and 9 speed 105 front. $135
    delivered.

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&bran...

    Nashbar only lets you use one coupon at a time.

  8. email hidden said:
    Joel said:

    I am building a project bike and have a pair of ST-7700 shifters left
    over from another bike I upgraded to 10 speed. One of the reasons I
    upgraded is that the right shift lever stopped working. Well I know I
    am probably screwed but I installed the shifter on the project bike
    and gave it the WD-40 flush but it did not help at all. It works ok
    shifting up, but when I shift down the inner lever hangs up and won't
    shift unless I hold the outer lever steady with one hand and push the
    inner lever with the other hand then it works but not very practical.
    Is there any way to repair this? I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    any more except used ones on ebay.

    $149.99 before 10% off coupon at Nashbar and free shipping coupon at
    Nashbar. 9 speed STI Ultegra rear and 9 speed 105 front. $135
    delivered.

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&bran...

    "Custom matched set", indeed. It really does take a 'big set' to
    present mis-matched stuff in this manner!

  9. Ozark Bicycle said:

    On May 1, 9:59 am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    On May 1, 12:46 am, Joel <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am building a project bike and have a pair of ST-7700 shifters left
    over from another bike I upgraded to 10 speed. One of the reasons I
    upgraded is that the right shift lever stopped working. Well I know I
    am probably screwed but I installed the shifter on the project bike
    and gave it the WD-40 flush but it did not help at all. It works ok
    shifting up, but when I shift down the inner lever hangs up and won't
    shift unless I hold the outer lever steady with one hand and push the
    inner lever with the other hand then it works but not very practical.
    Is there any way to repair this? I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    any more except used ones on ebay.

    Quoted message said:

    $149.99 before 10% off coupon at Nashbar and free shipping coupon at
    Nashbar. 9 speed STI Ultegra rear and 9 speed 105 front. $135
    delivered.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&bran...

    "Custom matched set", indeed. It really does take a 'big set' to
    present mis-matched stuff in this manner!- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    I don't use STI. But if I did, and I could get an Ultegra 9 speed STI
    for the rear and 105 9 speed STI for the front, for $135, I would not
    care if they were mis matched. Do you only use matched cerailleurs?
    Do you only use the crankset that matches the group? Didn't someone
    named Armstrong use a downtube shifter and a regular brake lever with
    his right STI shifter? A lot less matched than the above set.

    The clueless person who started the thread was yapping about how he
    could not find any 9 speed STI except used on eBay. What a joke. I'm
    surprised he could find anything on eBay if he could not find 9 speed
    STI shifters on the Nashbar website.

  10. email hidden said:

    On May 1, 11:41 am, Ozark Bicycle

    Quoted message said:

    On May 1, 9:59 am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On May 1, 12:46 am, Joel <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I am building a project bike and have a pair of ST-7700 shifters left
    > over from another bike I upgraded to 10 speed. One of the reasons I
    > upgraded is that the right shift lever stopped working. Well I know I
    > am probably screwed but I installed the shifter on the project bike
    > and gave it the WD-40 flush but it did not help at all. It works ok
    > shifting up, but when I shift down the inner lever hangs up and won't
    > shift unless I hold the outer lever steady with one hand and push the
    > inner lever with the other hand then it works but not very practical.
    > Is there any way to repair this? I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    > any more except used ones on ebay.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    $149.99 before 10% off coupon at Nashbar and free shipping coupon at
    Nashbar. 9 speed STI Ultegra rear and 9 speed 105 front. $135
    delivered.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&bran...

    Quoted message said:

    "Custom matched set", indeed. It really does take a 'big set' to
    present mis-matched stuff in this manner!-

    Quoted message said:


    I don't use STI. But if I did, and I could get an Ultegra 9 speed STI
    for the rear and 105 9 speed STI for the front, for $135, I would not
    care if they were mis matched. Do you only use matched cerailleurs?
    Do you only use the crankset that matches the group?

    Geez, Russell, my semi-snide comment was aimed at Nashbar ("Custom
    matched set" in the copy), not at you or your effort to be helpful.

    FWIW, it seems someone at Nashbar fancies themselves a bit funny. I
    recall, 3-4 years ago, they were blowing out some long-lost, NOS
    MA-40s with the (ironic???) copy line "these won't last long".

    Quoted message said:

    Didn't someone
    named Armstrong use a downtube shifter and a regular brake lever with
    his right STI shifter? A lot less matched than the above set.

    ::::SIGH::: I *could* give less of a s**t what The Lance did, but it
    would require a real effort......

  11. Ozark Bicycle said:

    FWIW, it seems someone at Nashbar fancies themselves a bit funny. I
    recall, 3-4 years ago, they were blowing out some long-lost, NOS
    MA-40s with the (ironic???) copy line "these won't last long".

    See also Aero <strike>Brake Levers</strike> Speed Modulators:
    <http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dgktw>.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Steve Gravrock said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:

    FWIW, it seems someone at Nashbar fancies themselves a bit funny. I
    recall, 3-4 years ago, they were blowing out some long-lost, NOS
    MA-40s with the (ironic???) copy line "these won't last long".

    See also Aero <strike>Brake Levers</strike> Speed Modulators:
    <http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dgktw>.

    And don't forget the frame names.

    The standard Nashbar hardtail frame is called the "Frame". The road
    frame is the "Framé" (pronounced "fra-MAY"😉. They send you a downtube
    decal with that name on it.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  13. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Steve Gravrock said:

    On 2007-05-01, Ozark Bicycle <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, it seems someone at Nashbar fancies themselves a bit funny. I
    recall, 3-4 years ago, they were blowing out some long-lost, NOS
    MA-40s with the (ironic???) copy line "these won't last long".

    Quoted message said:

    See also Aero <strike>Brake Levers</strike> Speed Modulators:
    <http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dgktw>.

    And don't forget the frame names.

    The standard Nashbar hardtail frame is called the "Frame". The road
    frame is the "Framé" (pronounced "fra-MAY"😉. They send you a downtube
    decal with that name on it.

    I left the downtube sticker off my Nashbar Frame. Nashbar does get
    some funny comments in their descriptions occasionally. Like the
    speed modulator Profile brakes shown above. And the one about the
    Greenfield kickstand a few years ago. Something about the owner
    (Arni) wanted a kickstand and they found one, the Greenfield!

    Nashbar 10% off coupon good through 5/14/07 W230
    Nashbar free shipping code good through 5/14/07 2314374572

    Catalogs say cannot combine offers but... Good on phone or internet
    orders. Maybe on the phone you can convince the order taker to take
    both coupon codes.

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden]://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Steve Gravrock said:

    On 2007-05-01, Ozark Bicycle <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > FWIW, it seems someone at Nashbar fancies themselves a bit funny. I
    > recall, 3-4 years ago, they were blowing out some long-lost, NOS
    > MA-40s with the (ironic???) copy line "these won't last long".

    Quoted message said:

    See also Aero <strike>Brake Levers</strike> Speed Modulators:
    <http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dgktw>.

    And don't forget the frame names.

    The standard Nashbar hardtail frame is called the "Frame". The road
    frame is the "Framé" (pronounced "fra-MAY"😉. They send you a downtube
    decal with that name on it.

    I left the downtube sticker off my Nashbar Frame. Nashbar does get
    some funny comments in their descriptions occasionally. Like the
    speed modulator Profile brakes shown above. And the one about the
    Greenfield kickstand a few years ago. Something about the owner
    (Arni) wanted a kickstand and they found one, the Greenfield!

    Nashbar 10% off coupon good through 5/14/07 W230
    Nashbar free shipping code good through 5/14/07 2314374572

    Too late: I already bought my Nashbar "X" frame. Despite not being
    spec'd for it, squeeze-spacing down to 130mm appears to be problem free.
    This is a considerable upgrade from my previous cyclocross bikes, which
    were my road bike with inverted tread knobbies (fast in the dry, death
    in the wet), and a super-ghetto reconfiguration of a Japanese-made
    "Bianchi" road bike from the mid-80s

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  15. email hidden said:

    $149.99 before 10% off coupon at Nashbar and free shipping coupon at
    Nashbar. 9 speed STI Ultegra rear and 9 speed 105 front. $135
    delivered.

    Three years ago there was some fluke with the Nashbar website and they
    were offering 9-speed Ultegra shifters for $127 + %10 off. This was
    actually cheaper than the 105's.

  16. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Steve Gravrock <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > On 2007-05-01, Ozark Bicycle <[email hidden]>
    > wrote:

    > > FWIW, it seems someone at Nashbar fancies themselves a bit funny. I
    > > recall, 3-4 years ago, they were blowing out some long-lost, NOS
    > > MA-40s with the (ironic???) copy line "these won't last long".

    > See also Aero <strike>Brake Levers</strike> Speed Modulators:
    > <http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dgktw>.

    And don't forget the frame names.

    The standard Nashbar hardtail frame is called the "Frame". The road
    frame is the "Framé" (pronounced "fra-MAY"😉. They send you a downtube
    decal with that name on it.

    I left the downtube sticker off my Nashbar Frame. Nashbar does get
    some funny comments in their descriptions occasionally. Like the
    speed modulator Profile brakes shown above. And the one about the
    Greenfield kickstand a few years ago. Something about the owner
    (Arni) wanted a kickstand and they found one, the Greenfield!

    Nashbar 10% off coupon good through 5/14/07 W230
    Nashbar free shipping code good through 5/14/07 2314374572

    Too late: I already bought my Nashbar "X" frame. Despite not being
    spec'd for it, squeeze-spacing down to 130mm appears to be problem free.
    This is a considerable upgrade from my previous cyclocross bikes, which
    were my road bike with inverted tread knobbies (fast in the dry, death
    in the wet), and a super-ghetto reconfiguration of a Japanese-made
    "Bianchi" road bike from the mid-80s

    A purpose built cross bike is special. Building up my Redline took my riding up
    a major step.

    You'll enjoy it.

    Ron

  17. email hidden said:

    On May 1, 11:41 am, Ozark Bicycle

    Quoted message said:

    On May 1, 9:59 am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On May 1, 12:46 am, Joel <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I am building a project bike and have a pair of ST-7700 shifters left
    > over from another bike I upgraded to 10 speed. One of the reasons I
    > upgraded is that the right shift lever stopped working. Well I know I
    > am probably screwed but I installed the shifter on the project bike
    > and gave it the WD-40 flush but it did not help at all. It works ok
    > shifting up, but when I shift down the inner lever hangs up and won't
    > shift unless I hold the outer lever steady with one hand and push the
    > inner lever with the other hand then it works but not very practical.
    > Is there any way to repair this? I can't even find 9 speed STI levers
    > any more except used ones on ebay.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    $149.99 before 10% off coupon at Nashbar and free shipping coupon at
    Nashbar. 9 speed STI Ultegra rear and 9 speed 105 front. $135
    delivered.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&bran...

    Quoted message said:

    "Custom matched set", indeed. It really does take a 'big set' to
    present mis-matched stuff in this manner!- Hide quoted text -

    Quoted message said:

    - Show quoted text -

    I don't use STI. But if I did, and I could get an Ultegra 9 speed STI
    for the rear and 105 9 speed STI for the front, for $135, I

    The price is $149.99 and there are not any Nashbar coupons at this
    time.
    At least that I could FIND. Yes I am so clueless I have been riding
    and servicing bikes for 35 years and building my own wheels for 5.
    I will admit to making a wrong statement that new 9 speed shifters are
    not available.

    Quoted message said:


    The clueless person who started the thread was yapping about how he
    could not find any 9 speed STI except used on eBay. What a joke. I'm
    surprised he could find anything on eBay if he could not find 9 speed
    STI shifters on the Nashbar website.

  18. Joel said:

    The price is $149.99 and there are not any Nashbar coupons at this
    time.
    At least that I could FIND. Yes I am so clueless I have been riding
    and servicing bikes for 35 years and building my own wheels for 5.
    I will admit to making a wrong statement that new 9 speed shifters are
    not available.

    You will also have to admit to being so clueless you did not even
    bother to read the post I made in this thread 11 hours 43 minutes
    before your post. I listed the Nashbar coupon codes at 10:46 AM on
    May 2, 2007. You posted you could not find any Nashbar coupon codes
    at 10:29 PM on May 2, 2007. Wow.

    Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
    From: "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>
    Date: 2 May 2007 08:46:40 -0700
    Local: Wed, May 2 2007 10:46 am
    Subject: Re: STI 9 speed shifters
    Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
    original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this
    author
    On May 1, 11:33 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Nashbar 10% off coupon good through 5/14/07 W230
    Nashbar free shipping code good through 5/14/07 2314374572

    Catalogs say cannot combine offers but... Good on phone or internet
    orders. Maybe on the phone you can convince the order taker to take
    both coupon codes.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.