General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Storing and Cooking Garlic Salt

Started by Trish · · Last activity · 8 posts · 2,211 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 April 2004
Last activity
2 April 2004
Original author
Trish
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,211
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello, I am roasting fresh garlic sprinkled with olive oil
    and then adding sea salt and lemon to it to make garlic salt
    for cooking. Am I in danger of getting botchulism if I am
    roasting the garlic at a high temperature and then baking it
    even more after I add the salt? I was reading something
    about putting garlic in oil and that people had gotten sick
    from it, so I was curious if there was something in my
    process that should be enhanced to decrease the possiblity
    of making people sick.

    Can anyone tell me if I can be reasonably sure that I am not
    creating a mixture of death? I'd also like to know how long
    I can expect this type of garlic salt to last before going
    bad, or if it will go bad at all.

  2. On 31 Mar 2004 21:05:07 -0800, [email hidden] (trish)

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, I am roasting fresh garlic sprinkled with olive oil
    and then adding sea salt and lemon to it to make garlic
    salt for cooking. Am I in danger of getting botchulism if I
    am roasting the garlic at a high temperature and then
    baking it even more after I add the salt? I was reading
    something about putting garlic in oil and that people had
    gotten sick from it, so I was curious if there was
    something in my process that should be enhanced to decrease
    the possiblity of making people sick.

    There is no threat of botulism with dried garlic. Most
    commercial preps - like salad dressings - use dried
    [rehydrated] garlic to prevent nasties.

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone tell me if I can be reasonably sure that I am
    not creating a mixture of death? I'd also like to know how
    long I can expect this type of garlic salt to last before
    going bad, or if it will go bad at all.

    No need to use olive oil. That'll just make it go rancid
    quicker. It'll also cause massive clumping.

    -sw

  3. trish said:

    Hello, I am roasting fresh garlic sprinkled with olive oil
    and then adding sea salt and lemon to it to make garlic
    salt for cooking. Am I in danger of getting botchulism if I
    am roasting the garlic at a high temperature and then
    baking it even more after I add the salt? I was reading
    something about putting garlic in oil and that people had
    gotten sick from it, so I was curious if there was
    something in my process that should be enhanced to decrease
    the possiblity of making people sick.

    Can anyone tell me if I can be reasonably sure that I am
    not creating a mixture of death? I'd also like to know how
    long I can expect this type of garlic salt to last before
    going bad, or if it will go bad at all.

    I make mine with following procedure: microwave some garlic
    cloves (like 100 g)(1 min at full for 100 g) take about same
    amount of coarse sea salt crush with mortar&pestle dry in
    slightly warm oven over plastic sheet add more microwaved
    garlic & crush & dry again add more microwaved garlic &
    crush & dry again and finally crush very fine

    Microwaving prevents greening. With very fresh garlic it may
    not be necessary.

    seismo malm

  4. trish had something important to tell us on 31 Mar 2004 21:05:07
    -0800:

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, I am roasting fresh garlic sprinkled with olive oil
    and then adding sea salt and lemon to it to make garlic
    salt for cooking. Am I in danger of getting botchulism if I
    am roasting the garlic at a high temperature and then
    baking it even more after I add the salt? I was reading
    something about putting garlic in oil and that people had
    gotten sick from it, so I was curious if there was
    something in my process that should be enhanced to decrease
    the possiblity of making people sick.

    Can anyone tell me if I can be reasonably sure that I am
    not creating a mixture of death? I'd also like to know how
    long I can expect this type of garlic salt to last before
    going bad, or if it will go bad at all.

    The 'garlic of death' is only created if you have an
    anaerobic atmosphere for the botulism spores to grow in.
    They will not grow in a dry aerated mix. Garlic stored in
    oil is dangerous because the oil covers it entirely and
    keeps the air out, making the botulism spores very happy...
    sprinkling garlic with oil won't harm it, and I don't think
    salt counts as anaerobic. I have no idea how long the
    mixture will keep though... ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of
    shiny things...

    Made as of 1 April 2004 - 60 cards, 28 SB pages (plus 2
    small giftbooks), 48 decos & more!

    Visit my webpage: kajikitscorner.comkajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
    Eating Recipe Swap:
    groups.yahoo.comAllergyfree Eating Ample
    Aussies Mailing List:
    groups.yahoo.comampleaussies

  5. Quoted message said:

    Can anyone tell me if I can be reasonably sure that I am
    not creating a mixture of death? I'd also like to know how
    long I can expect this type of garlic salt to last before
    going bad, or if it will go bad at all.

    storing garlic in oil is a no-no, -not sure about once
    roasted though. Yonks ago i wrote about this as someone was
    asking about storing chillies and garlic in oils(and i had
    just read an article on it.) whilst the chillies are o.k.
    the garlic is not as a chemical reaction occurs with the
    garlic and vinegar causing what could be a serious health
    problem.In shop bought jars something is done in the
    manufacturing process to eliminate this.If i have a glut of
    garlic i just freeze it.

  6. "trish" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, I am roasting fresh garlic sprinkled with olive oil
    and then adding sea salt and lemon to it to make garlic
    salt for cooking. Am I in danger of getting botchulism if
    I am roasting the garlic at a high temperature and then
    baking it even more after I add the salt? I was reading
    something about putting garlic in oil and that people had
    gotten sick from it, so I was curious if there was
    something in my process that should be enhanced to
    decrease the possiblity of making people sick.

    Can anyone tell me if I can be reasonably sure that I am
    not creating a mixture of death? I'd also like to know how
    long I can expect this type of garlic salt to last before
    going bad, or if it will go bad at all.

    Look here for the times and temperatures necessary:

    wellness.ucdavis.edup
    oison_book/food_poisoning.html#botulism

    Dimitri

    What causes botulism? Botulism is caused by the organism
    Clostridium botulinum, a spore-forming bacteria. Spores
    release a toxin that caused the illness. Although widely
    spread throughout our environment, botulism spores only
    become dangerous after producing a toxin in an oxygen-free
    environment of low acidity. Botulism food poisoning is very
    rare, but it can be life-threatening. Botulism may result
    from eating improperly processed, low-acid foods such as
    green beans, mush-rooms, spinach, olives and beef or fish.
    Improper home canning methods account for many botulism
    cases. But, improperly processed commercial products can
    cause botulism too.

    How can botulism be destroyed? Spores are highly resistant
    to destruction. They can survive hours of boiling at 212° F
    (100° C). Pressure cooking at 240° F (120° C) for 30 minutes
    can kill spores. The toxin (not the spores) is readily
    destroyed by boiling at 212° F (100° C) for 10 minutes or
    heating to 176° F (80° C) for 30 minutes.

    How do I avoid botulism risks? Use only proper methods for
    canning low-acid foods. Follow directions for home canning
    exactly. Avoid commercially canned low-acid foods with
    leaky seals or deep dents in the seams of the can. Avoid
    all bent, bulging or broken cans. Discard any food that
    explodes from a can when it is being opened. If canned food
    contents spray across the kitchen or hit the ceiling when
    the can is being opened, it is potentially dangerous.
    Never, never taste a suspicious food product. Don't count
    on cooking to kill the botulism spores. When in doubt,
    throw it out. (Don't give it to pets either!) Not even a
    taste: foods to avoid! Avoid tasting canned food that is
    soft, deteriorating, fermenting, or doesn't smell right.
    Even a taste is enough to cause illness. Throw the food
    away: It is not worth a life-threatening illness. Never
    taste suspicious foods for any reason.

    What are the symptoms of botulism? Botulism symptoms are not
    like those of ordinary food poisoning. Instead of stomach
    symptoms associated with other types of food poisoning,
    botulism causes toxic effects to the muscles and the nervous
    system. Generally, victims experience symptoms 12-36 hours
    after eating, although symptoms have started as long as 96
    hours after an exposure. The effects of botulism include
    blurred or double vision, dilated pupils, droopy eyelids
    that are difficult to open, dry, sore mouth and throat, a
    weak grip, and muscle weakness. Other symptoms can include
    difficulty swallowing and speaking, difficult breathing,
    major muscle weakness and paralysis. Is there treatment for
    botulism? Botulism can become life-threatening as the
    muscles used in breathing become paralyzed. Victims who
    expect the nausea, vomiting and diarrhea typical of ordinary
    food poisoning often wait too long to get medical help and
    consequently suffer a more severe illness. If you suspect
    botulism, get medical help as soon as possible. Antitoxin
    and good supportive care in a hospital setting have saved
    many lives.

  7. [email hidden] (Seismo Malm) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    trish said:

    Hello, I am roasting fresh garlic sprinkled with olive
    oil and then adding sea salt and lemon to it to make
    garlic salt for cooking. Am I in danger of getting
    botchulism if I am roasting the garlic at a high
    temperature and then baking it even more after I add
    the salt? I was reading something about putting garlic
    in oil and that people had gotten sick from it, so I
    was curious if there was something in my process that
    should be enhanced to decrease the possiblity of making
    people sick.

    Can anyone tell me if I can be reasonably sure that I am
    not creating a mixture of death? I'd also like to know
    how long I can expect this type of garlic salt to last
    before going bad, or if it will go bad at all.

    I make mine with following procedure: microwave some
    garlic cloves (like 100 g)(1 min at full for 100 g) take
    about same amount of coarse sea salt crush with
    mortar&pestle dry in slightly warm oven over plastic sheet
    add more microwaved garlic & crush & dry again add more
    microwaved garlic & crush & dry again and finally crush
    very fine

    Microwaving prevents greening. With very fresh garlic it
    may not be necessary.

    seismo malm

    yes, but do you know if, scientifically, cooking the garlic
    increases its longevity and how that affects its taste?

  8. On 1 Apr 2004 08:00:24 -0800, [email hidden] (trish)

    Quoted message said:

    yes, but do you know if, scientifically, cooking the garlic
    increases its longevity and how that affects its taste?

    Cooking would not increase its longevity (probably reduces
    it); drying it will increase shelf life, as would drying
    cooked garlic. Does drying cooked garlic make it last longer
    than plain 'ol dried garlic? No.

    One and/or both processes will of course change it's taste.

    -sw

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.