Storing C02 Cartridges

jaguar75

Apr 21, 2004
Where is the best place to store C02 cartridges? When I was a kid we used to stick them in the freezer...don't really remember why. Where do you guys store yours?

How can you be sure that the CO2 cartridges are still good when you really need them? or are they just good as long as their seals are not broken?

I had a flat 20 miles from my car this past weekend and would hate to have to walk back 20 miles.

As long as the seals are still intact, the CO2 cartridge is good as new. You'd know if it were somehow punctured too.... :eek:

Rudy said:
How can you be sure that the CO2 cartridges are still good when you really need them? or are they just good as long as their seals are not broken?

I had a flat 20 miles from my car this past weekend and would hate to have to walk back 20 miles.

They shouldn't leak but if you're curious, weigh them. Weigh them when new, after being stored for sometime, and the empty cartridge after being used. That should satisfy your curiousity.

Squint said:
They shouldn't leak but if you're curious, weigh them. Weigh them when new, after being stored for sometime, and the empty cartridge after being used. That should satisfy your curiousity.

Duh...such a bonehead I've been :D

Rudy said:
Duh...such a bonehead I've been :D

There's a reason there are 12 and 16 gram cartridges.

I just weighed a full 12 g cartridge and an empty one. The empty one was 32 g and the full one was 46 g on a scale that's accurate to the nearest 2 g. They're cartridges that I bought from Wal-Mart in a big carton several years ago.