UK and Europe · Public discussion

Stow on the Wold

Started by Richard Bates · · Last activity · 6 posts · 611 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 March 2005
Last activity
6 March 2005
Original author
Richard Bates
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
611
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 3rd March 2005, Stow on the Wold

    I've met a man with the best job in the world - YHA sustainable
    transport officer. He gets paid to travel to each youth hostel by
    public transport and then report on how easy it is, and how good the
    handbook information is.

    He test-rode my Dahon bike and was very impressed. I'm quite impressed
    with it too. I thought the handling might be quite quirky with luggage
    over 20" wheels, but it is rock solid. Only worry is that it will
    absolutely not cope with going off road, unless the path is surfaced.
    The bottom of the derailleur is only about an inch off the ground and
    is very vulnerable. The bike is also not easy to get on and off
    trains; again because the wheels are so small. But it has been folded
    three times today: The handlebars were collapsed when I left it in a
    train corridor, it's half-folded now 'cos the bike shed is tiny, and I
    did a complete fold to show the yha bloke.

    Room mate is a cyclist, however he has recently broken his pelvis, and
    has only recently got back on his bike. Pete? Is this you?

    4th March 2005, Oxford

    Nutters. It's not the motorists who cut you up, it's the other POBs.
    It was amusing to see that Oxford council are suspending cycle parking
    in an attempt to identify and remove abandoned bikes.

    Bike is playing up. Being new, the inevitable cable stretch has
    happened and the chain keeps shooting off and jamming next to the seat
    stay. Never mind, hub gears have their uses!

    Spent far too much money in Blackwells Music Publishers. Could not
    find a bike shop anywhere.

    Took the scenic route from Moreton in Marsh train station back to Stow
    on the Wold. Much nicer than the A road but with one very long drag up
    to Tesco.

    Additional room mates are also cyclists, from the Isle of Wight. All
    four of us had a go at repairing their gas stove but with no luck.
    After a discussion, we settled on the fact that the "going rate" for
    cyclists and beer was 25 miles to the pint.

    5th March 2005, Back to Bham.

    Visited Tesco for breakfast. Discovered that they didn't do breakfast.
    Cycled the "scenic route" in reverse to Moreton in Marsh and had some
    interesting moments on the ice. The long drag up to Tesco was now a
    long drag on the brakes gingerly downhill. At times the road crackled
    as my tyres cut through the top snow. At other times it was silent as
    I skidded from stable-point to stable-point, crapping myself at each
    momentary loss of control.

    Arrived at Moreton in Marsh and resigned myself to having fig rolls
    and vending machine coffee for breakfast. To return to Bham there is a
    choice of changing train at Oxford or Worcester. I was planning on
    Worcester but the Oxford train which I had not planned to use was
    late.

    That's it, back at home now, but a nice two days it was.

    --
    Jesus was apparently betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples.

  2. Richard Bates said:


    3rd March 2005, Stow on the Wold

    <snip>

    Nice report.
    Last time I stayed at Stow was in the times of 'curfews' and being
    midweek the door was locked at 10pm.
    Not much good when the pubs are so close :-(

    John B

  3. That gave me a good laugh! You are right, Stow is a beautiful place,
    the hostel is right opposite a nice pub - I broke the world record for
    the 25 yard dash and just squeezed in the closing door of the hostel.

  4. archierob said:


    That gave me a good laugh! You are right, Stow is a beautiful place,
    the hostel is right opposite a nice pub - I broke the world record for
    the 25 yard dash and just squeezed in the closing door of the hostel.

    I must admit on one visit we cheated :-)
    We did send someone back to the hostel who then let us in on the
    pre-arranged signal, enabling us to finish our pizzas and have a further
    round - or two.
    IIRCC it was some excellent Donnington Bitter.

    I esspecially remember it because we had an icy ride back to Hampshire
    which included climbing up Blowingstone Hill near Uffington in 4 inch
    deep snow.

    John B

  5. Richard Bates said:

    Spent far too much money in Blackwells Music Publishers. Could not
    find a bike shop anywhere.

    For future reference; if you're in the center of Oxford there's a bike
    shop on the road behind the market. From Blackwell's music publishers
    on Broad Street, walk towards the main Blackwell's shop, but turn
    right down Turl Street first. Take the second right down Market street
    & there's a small cycle shop immediately on your left.

    I can't vouch for their quality, as I've only ever used them for the
    odd purchase, but AFAIK, they're the only cycle shop in the center of
    Oxford -- the rest are further out[1] where rents are presumably
    cheaper.

    cheers,

    Phil

    [1] Some excellent people down the Cowley Road; Warlands & Halfords on
    the Botley Road; plus there's one on Walton Street which is
    closish to the center.

    --
    http://www.kantaka.co.uk/ .oOo. public key: http://www.kantaka.co.uk/gpg.txt

  6. Richard Bates said:

    He test-rode my Dahon bike and was very impressed. I'm quite impressed
    with it too. I thought the handling might be quite quirky with luggage
    over 20" wheels, but it is rock solid.

    What sort of distances were you doing and how was the overall comfort
    and feel?

    I've only done one 50 mile ride on my TR and found it fine. I spent the
    first few miles stopping and starting, finding the best fit and
    marker-penning it on all the sliding, folding and collapsing bits.

    Quoted message said:

    Only worry is that it will
    absolutely not cope with going off road, unless the path is surfaced.

    Depends what you mean by "off road". Mine was fine with some appalling
    sustrans type surfaces but I'll admit it was a bit wearing on the rider.
    20" front wheels conflict with bad surfaces more and the lack of a big
    fat air filled tyre or front suspension sends it all into your arms.

    Quoted message said:

    The bottom of the derailleur is only about an inch off the ground and
    is very vulnerable.

    I was worried about this but then it's the same on my daughters' bikes
    (same size wheels as well) and they seem to cope with almost any terrain.

    Quoted message said:

    The bike is also not easy to get on and off
    trains; again because the wheels are so small. But it has been folded
    three times today: The handlebars were collapsed when I left it in a
    train corridor, it's half-folded now 'cos the bike shed is tiny, and I
    did a complete fold to show the yha bloke.

    I have yet to take mine on a train despite this being one of the
    purposes for which I bought it. Unless it's a busy train, I intend to
    keep it unfolded until asked.

    Quoted message said:

    Bike is playing up. Being new, the inevitable cable stretch has
    happened and the chain keeps shooting off and jamming next to the seat
    stay. Never mind, hub gears have their uses!

    And for some reason the chain gets really jammed in next to the stay. At
    least it did with me.

    PS. Thanks for the rest of the interesting write up.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.