Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Strada questions/obervations

Started by Jon Meinecke · · Last activity · 27 posts · 1,179 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
10 May 2004
Last activity
13 May 2004
Original author
Jon Meinecke
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,179
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Edward Dolan said:

    ...
    That is true, but when I tour for many hours a day for many days in
    succession, I like to be relaxed and enjoy the ride. I do not want to even
    have to think about the bike. With SWB, I am always having to think about
    the bike and how it handles with respect to the vagaries of the road,
    traffic and other riders. In other words I have to pay attention. That can
    really get exhausting after a couple of days. With LWB I can ignore most
    everything because I know I can depend on the bike to be forgiving of
    mistakes and inattention....

    If one wishes to eliminate the requirement of paying close attention to
    road conditions, I suggest a trike with rear suspension and heavy duty
    tires (e.g. 53-406 Maxxis Hookworms). In my experience, such a
    combination will allow one to roll over almost anything without too much
    of a problem. Even the best handing LWB bicycle can dump the rider on
    loose or slippery surfaces.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad Cities

  2. stratrider said:

    Ed, I met I guy two years ago in SW Missouri that was heading across
    country on a RANS Rocket towing a BOB. He went coast to coast! But a
    Rocket is a very different bike than a high racer. From the dual 20s
    to the triangulated frame to the gearing....

    The short stays/stiff rear triangle of the RANS Rocket makes it one of
    the better bikes for pulling a B.O.B. Some of the monotube bikes might
    lack sufficient lateral rigidity to prevent the frame from shimmying at
    higher speeds.

    The stock gearing on the RANS Rocket is too high for loaded touring
    except for flat areas.

    This page would be of interest to anyone planning to tour on a RANS
    Rocket: <http://phred.org/~alex/bikes/rocket.html>.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad Cities

  3. "Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Edward Dolan said:

    ...
    That is true, but when I tour for many hours a day for many days in
    succession, I like to be relaxed and enjoy the ride. I do not want to


    even

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have to think about the bike. With SWB, I am always having to think


    about

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the bike and how it handles with respect to the vagaries of the road,
    traffic and other riders. In other words I have to pay attention. That


    can

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    really get exhausting after a couple of days. With LWB I can ignore most
    everything because I know I can depend on the bike to be forgiving of
    mistakes and inattention....

    If one wishes to eliminate the requirement of paying close attention to
    road conditions, I suggest a trike with rear suspension and heavy duty
    tires (e.g. 53-406 Maxxis Hookworms). In my experience, such a
    combination will allow one to roll over almost anything without too much
    of a problem. Even the best handing LWB bicycle can dump the rider on
    loose or slippery surfaces.

    I know there are a few cyclists who tour on trikes, but there are other
    problems that kick in with trikes on a tour, mostly having to do with
    sharing the road with motor vehicles. I do like my trikes, but mainly for
    riding around town where I know the roads like the back of my hand. You are
    quite right about LWB being slippery under certain conditions. It is mostly
    due to the lightly loaded front wheel. Which is why I have always maintained
    that all recumbents (the 2 wheel variety) have a stability problem which is
    worse than any upright. But I have found that I have to pay the most
    attention to the road when I am riding a SWB.

    --
    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  4. "TimH" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I've ridden a Strada about 1K miles and am aware of the "springiness" you
    speak of. It really doesn't impair the bike's handling, but I believe the
    Glideflex hinged stem clamp is probably the cause. It's possible to mount


    a

    Quoted message said:

    rigid stem clamp on the Strada and this would probably eliminate the
    springiness. Replacing the aluminum fork might also help.

    Thanks for the response.

    Yes, once under way, I didn't notice the springiness in the
    steering. Looking at the fork, stem, hinge and handle bar,
    I suspect the curved riser and hinge more than the fork...
    The bike handled very well and even low speed balance
    seemed natural.

    I'd guess the steering system of the Volae models and
    Force 5 might not have the same amount of springy feel.
    Anyone care to comment on feel of steering on those
    bikes?

    Thanks,

    Jon Meinecke

  5. Tom Sherman <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<2gg5agF2d7dgU1@uni-

    Quoted message said:

    This page would be of interest to anyone planning to tour on a RANS
    Rocket: <http://phred.org/~alex/bikes/rocket.html>.

    Very informative site... The cross country tourist that I mentioned
    really liked the Rocket for touring. He particularly liked the dual
    20s (as he only needed to carry one size of tires/tubes). He also
    liked the fact that in a pinch he could get a replacement tire/tube in
    a Walmart if he had to. Makes me think that perhaps I would like a
    Tailwind for touring to get the benefit of a longer wheel base and
    still enjoy the practical benefits of dual 20s.... hmmm...

    jim

  6. If you don't "hang" on the handlebars, ther is no spring at all.

    "Jon Meinecke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "TimH" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I've ridden a Strada about 1K miles and am aware of the "springiness"


    you

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    speak of. It really doesn't impair the bike's handling, but I believe


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Glideflex hinged stem clamp is probably the cause. It's possible to


    mount

    Quoted message said:

    a

    Quoted message said:

    rigid stem clamp on the Strada and this would probably eliminate the
    springiness. Replacing the aluminum fork might also help.

    Thanks for the response.

    Yes, once under way, I didn't notice the springiness in the
    steering. Looking at the fork, stem, hinge and handle bar,
    I suspect the curved riser and hinge more than the fork...
    The bike handled very well and even low speed balance
    seemed natural.

    I'd guess the steering system of the Volae models and
    Force 5 might not have the same amount of springy feel.
    Anyone care to comment on feel of steering on those
    bikes?

    Thanks,

    Jon Meinecke

  7. "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    If you don't "hang" on the handlebars, there is no spring at all.

    I wouldn't describe my trial rides of the Strada as "hanging"
    from the handlebars. %^) But I know what you mean.
    Perhaps with more acclimation to the bike, the vertical
    input to the steering system would be reduced and
    the springy effect lessened.

    At least some of the effect seemed to be "rotational" and
    not vertical, however.

    Jon Meinecke

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.