Strange creaking/clicking sound

AceBruceGary

Aug 8, 2011
Recently a creaking/clicking sound has been coming from I think my bottom bracket area.

It only occurs when I am putting a good amount of downwards pressure on my pedals and I think only when pushing with my right food.

Is this a bottom bracket issue? Loose? Worn out?

It's a quick creaking sound that so short in duration that it sounds like a click.

Lots of noises sound like they are coming from the bottom bracket. From your description, I'd start by checking the right pedal. Remove the pedal, and check for any corrosion between the steel pedal and the aluminum crankarm insert. The pedal can be tight, but if there is any corrosion between the steel and alloy, it can cause a clicking sound.

If that's not it, I'd try to reproduce the click by putting load on the right crank arm with the front wheel against a wall. If you can get the sound to occur in a static test, it should be easier to pinpoint the source.

Agreed , check the BB first but everytime you apply downward pressure it puts weight on the pedals, bars and maybe the saddle if you are seated and everything attached .
It can be a trail and error situation sometimes.

.... and if it only happens when you are out of the saddle then you can add the bars, stem, and headset to the list of items to check. People always seem to neglect the fac tthat they put quite a bit of force through this area too.

Also add the cleats/shoe to the "creaking" option list. Dry or oxidized cleats can creak as components rub in the pedal. A very light coating of silicone or just a good cleaning of all surfaces generally does the trick if this is the problem.

I have had my bottom brackets begin to creak/click days after riding in heavy rain - usually showing up when adding extra power to climb hills. Disassemble, clean, lube, thread loc, and re-torque has fixed it for me.

All above are good suggestions.

I'd start with the ensuring that the bottom bracket threads are properly treated (lubed or otherwise, according to the manufacturer's spec) and the bottom bracket is properly torqued. The next logical step after that is the pedals. If you have Look-style pedals, applying furniture polish to your cleats or even wiping the cleat contact surface on the pedal with furniture polish can help eliminate squeaks from pedals. Ensure the pedals are properly torqued and that their threads are lubed. If the squeak still persists lubing the quick release clamps where they contact the drop outs. Still there? Be sure to check lubing of threads and proper torquing of stewing stem clamp bolts and handlebar clamp bolts. If squeaks are still present, check the bolt torque and lubing on the saddle post clamp and likewise the seat rail clamp. It doesn't hurt to lube the contact surfaces of the seat rail clamps. Also be sure your chain is properly lubed.

Please note that too ensure proper torque, you have to loosen a bolt and then retighten it with a torque wrench. Checking torque without first loosing the bolt will quite often give inaccurate torque on the bolt.

Maybe I missed it, what kind of crank, bottom bracket, and pedals do you have?

I have had creaking from the saddle rails. Also had creaking coming from a loose quick release. As some one said, most creaking sounds as though coming from BB/crank. Don't know about others. but whenever I have a strange sound and I take it into the shop, it suddenly stops making any noise. Or maybe it is just me.

Lew