"DaveB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:ritcho said:Heh heh heh... that's what you get for riding on on multi-lap course.
It always feels better on the first lap. Did you recover in the run
leg?
The run was fairly tragic, but that was to plan; pass some people on the
bike, get passed by more people on the run. Expected time was 3hrs
and rough time (no official times yet) was 3hr5min so I'm satisfied with
that for a first attempt at that distance.
DaveB 'enjoying a recovery meal with the 3 main food groups: chocolate,
coke and rocky road ice-cream"
Dave,
Results are up on the website now. First outing over the distance and you
didn't finish last either. Well Done.
I was there and I actually saw you exit the water. I suppose one of the
advantages of starting in the last wave is it's really easy to find your
bike in the transition area. I saw a couple of people exit the water in
totally disoriented states and there was one guy out in the water, from your
wave, who looked like he was heading to Sorrento until the life guards put
him back on course toward the final marker buoy. Only problem was when he
reached the buoy he started heading back toward the start. It took a while
for someone to notice this and put him back on course. Poor guy must have
swum at least 500m further than he needed to. At the entrance to the
transition same guy got a huge cheer from the waiting crowd of spectators.
Finding his bike was no problem either ;-)
I saw a few seconds of the bike leg as I was leaving to go home. Looked
like one big bunch ride. I don't think the judges would have been able to
record the numbers of those who were drafting. There were just too many
doing it. My wife said it was also problem in the mini tri due to the road
not being wide enough (only one lane in the southbound direction). Another
problem she mentioned was that heaps of people could not ride in a straight
line nor could they keep left to allow her and others to safely pass them
even when she was yelling out to them to move to the left of the lane. (she
started in the second last wave of the mini tri). I'm assuming that this
problem was even greater in the Olympic Dist race due to the multiple laps
required on the bike course.
Next Sunday I'm sleeping in. The 0400 wakeup times for getting to triathlons
have really been getting to me. The wife is doing a 1500m open water swim in
Frankston that starts at 1100. I'm going to ride down there and drive the
car back since the wife reckons she's going to be hammering in the swim and
will be too tired to drive back herself. Yeah, I know it's going to be a
beach road ride but I'm finally going to get a sunday morning ride in. :-)
Geoff