Road Cycling · Public discussion

"Strange" object attached to downtube

Started by V-Mook · · Last activity · 19 posts · 824 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
8 August 2005
Last activity
10 August 2005
Original author
V-Mook
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
824
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Check out:

    http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    explanation of what they are.

    TIA,

    'mook

  2. traditionally, that's a coke holder.

  3. V-Mook said:

    Check out:

    http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    explanation of what they are.

    TIA,

    'mook

    Turbo?

  4. "V-Mook" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Check out:

    http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    Looks like a waterbottle to me....

    (ducks)

  5. V-Mook said:

    Check out:

    http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    explanation of what they are.

    TIA,

    'mook

    I asked this same question two years ago and started a long thread.
    It's a "gonfleur", a tire inflator, but not a pump, and not CO2. Lots
    of other interesting conjecture though. Here's the archive link.
    http://tinyurl.com/8bc8b

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  6. V-Mook said:

    Check out:

    http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    explanation of what they are.

    TIA,

    'mook

    Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    http://www.underthecouch.org
    ..:you may want to fix my email
    address before you send anything:.

  7. Paul Hobson said:
    Quoted message said:


    Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    😄

  8. maxo said:
    Paul Hobson said:

    Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    😄

    I seriously want one for my Peugeot fixie!

    ps maxo: can I email you some SS questions?
    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    http://www.underthecouch.org
    ..:you may want to fix my email
    address before you send anything:.

  9. maxo said:
    Paul Hobson said:
    Quoted message said:


    Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
    _`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
    (_)/ (_) |

  10. maxo said:
    Paul Hobson said:

    Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    😄

    Also, tell me this isn't the coolest thing ever:

    http://disaster.nu/surloid2.jpg

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    http://www.underthecouch.org
    ..:you may want to fix my email
    address before you send anything:.

  11. David L. Johnson said:
    maxo said:
    Paul Hobson said:

    Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

    Sure they aren't vents?

  12. Paul Hobson said:

    ps maxo: can I email you some SS questions?

    Sure, but I'm no expert--just ride one a lot--and a freewheeled one at
    that.

    Might want to post to the group, but feel free to email if you can figure
    out the "cryptic" domain. :P

  13. Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:09:09 -0400, <[email hidden]>,

    Paul Hobson said:
    Quoted message said:
    Paul Hobson said:

    Are those handlebar bottle holders still readily available?

    Ha--that's always what I want to know when I see those old photos!

    Not like those but there is the Minoura line of bottle holders for
    mounting on handlebars.
    Single: BH-60
    Dual: BH-2B

    http://www.minoura.jp/acc-e.html
    --
    zk

  14. maxo said:
    Quoted message said:

    Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

    Sure they aren't vents?

    Quite. I used to have such jerseys. Two front pockets, with buttons.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
    _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
    (_)/ (_) |

  15. David L. Johnson said:
    maxo said:
    Quoted message said:

    Me, I want to know where to get jerseys with front pockets like they have.

    Sure they aren't vents?

    Quite. I used to have such jerseys. Two front pockets, with buttons.

    That way you can carry two packs of smokes on the longer rides. The
    buttons keep the packs from falling out.

  16. Wow, where can I find someone to crochet me a bike jersey?

    Paul

    V-Mook said:

    Check out:

    http://tinyurl.com/cd5pr

    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    I've seen these in other pix from the 1950's but have never found an
    explanation of what they are.

    TIA,

    'mook

  17. Paul said:


    Wow, where can I find someone to crochet me a bike jersey?

    Paul

    Damn hippie.

    Why don't you knit a whole bike out of steel wool instead?

    :P 😉

  18. F
    "V-Mook" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    For a brief time, Schwinn Varsity models such as the one pictured came with
    an optional pipe-bomb cage.

  19. Bob the Cow said:

    F
    "V-Mook" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    What is that cylindrical object attached to the downtube of Bobet's
    bike?

    For a brief time, Schwinn Varsity models such as the one pictured came with
    an optional pipe-bomb cage.


    Yes, but that was only for the Irish models.

    Paul

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.