Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Stray cable strands

Started by trg · · Last activity · 30 posts · 1,644 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 July 2004
Last activity
23 March 2005
Original author
trg
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,644
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. jadney-<< Silver solder will stick nicely to stainless, with the right flux,
    but
    it's way overkill. Regular tin/lead solder will also stick and at a
    much lower temperature, but again you need the right flux. The rosin
    isn't enough. >><BR><BR>

    Or just cable condoms, talk about overkill.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  2. On 12 Jul 2004 13:12:13 GMT, [email hidden] (Qui si parla

    Campagnolo ) said:

    Or just cable condoms, talk about overkill.

    "Cable condoms" meaning the crimp-on ends, or something else?
    Barnett's says the process of crimping them on will fray the wire.
    IME, it beats leaving them with nothing on the end.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. On 10 Jul 2004 01:09:40 GMT, [email hidden] (Phil Brown)

    Quoted message said:

    Acid flux and plumber's solder work just fine on stainless cables with a
    regular propane torch.

    Was in Lowes today and bought some acid flux core solder. Yay me!
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. On 10 Jul 2004 01:09:40 GMT, [email hidden] (Phil Brown)

    Quoted message said:

    Acid flux and plumber's solder work just fine on stainless cables with a

    If you do it again, do you have acid reflux?
    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. "trg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My FD cable is completely frayed at the end. It spreads out and either


    pokes

    Quoted message said:

    my leg or scratches the paint. Any tricks on getting it to behave? The


    cable

    Quoted message said:

    itself is in good shape, so I don't want to replace it, and the end is too
    far gone to put a terminator on it.

    Thanks

    Duct Tape

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest, I've just wasted.

  6. "D T W .../\..." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Mhc0e.17628$I16.6045@trndny03...

    Quoted message said:

    "trg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My FD cable is completely frayed at the end. It spreads out and either


    pokes

    Quoted message said:

    my leg or scratches the paint. Any tricks on getting it to behave? The


    cable

    Quoted message said:

    itself is in good shape, so I don't want to replace it, and the end is


    too

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    far gone to put a terminator on it.

    Thanks

    Duct Tape

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest, I've just wasted.


    Yeah I have had a couple of cables like that, I used a bit of solder on them
    if the cable is in good shape otherwise.

    Ken

  7. Ken Marcet said:

    "D T W .../\..." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Mhc0e.17628$I16.6045@trndny03...

    Quoted message said:

    "trg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My FD cable is completely frayed at the end. It spreads out and
    either pokes my leg or scratches the paint. Any tricks on getting
    it to behave? The cable itself is in good shape, so I don't want to
    replace it, and the end is too far gone to put a terminator on it.

    Thanks

    Duct Tape

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest, I've just wasted.


    Yeah I have had a couple of cables like that, I used a bit of solder
    on them if the cable is in good shape otherwise.

    Here we go again!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. And yet another long-dead thread is yanked from the weave and dangled;
    the OP's question was posed last July, folks.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  9. "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ken Marcet said:

    "D T W .../\..." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Mhc0e.17628$I16.6045@trndny03...

    Quoted message said:

    "trg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > My FD cable is completely frayed at the end. It spreads out and
    > either pokes my leg or scratches the paint. Any tricks on getting
    > it to behave? The cable itself is in good shape, so I don't want to
    > replace it, and the end is too far gone to put a terminator on it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Duct Tape


    !!!!!!!!!!!! Okay Macgyver!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest, I've just wasted.


    Yeah I have had a couple of cables like that, I used a bit of solder
    on them if the cable is in good shape otherwise.

    Here we go again!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:20:12 GMT,

    Quoted message said:

    "trg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My FD cable is completely frayed at the end. It spreads out and either


    pokes

    Quoted message said:

    my leg or scratches the paint. Any tricks on getting it to behave? The


    cable

    Quoted message said:

    itself is in good shape, so I don't want to replace it, and the end is too
    far gone to put a terminator on it.

    Thanks



    If it is Shimano, a new cable will cost aboutr $5.00, why screw around
    with it? I have never priced a Campy cable, but I imagine it is of
    similar cost.

    Replace it and put an end cap on it, and problem is solved. If it is
    so bad that you can't twist it together enough to put a "terminator"
    on it, then it isn't worth messing with.

    Not what you wanted to hear, but I vote for doing it the right way.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.