"Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:"Mark Leuck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<rE0Ya.50992$cF.18738@rwcrnsc53>...
Quoted message said:<snip>
Quoted message said:
I would think the slow speed of the climb wouldn't be enough for any
gain by
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:aerodynamics?
It depends on what you mean by "slow speed", "climb", and "aerodynamics". There's a paper
written by Daniel Kirchner in a 1985 issue of Bike Tech magazine titled "Aerodynamics versus
weight". In it, he describes a method of calculating the relative value of reduced drag versus
greater weight for various power levels. The formula for determining speed at any one instant
has ten variables- to determine the duration of any ride requires specifying distance, slope,
and any stops and starts.The author compares a conventional upright (25 lbs- 195 lbs with rider) with a faired trike (50
lbs- 220 lbs with rider over a "commuting" route: a couple stops, gentle slopes, modest rider
power (100 watts). In this simulation, the faired trike comes out 10% faster.It may be that in the "real world", streamliners can't use their speed to their advantage- they're
just too fast on downhill slopes.For instance: I used the HPV speed simulation at
recumbents.comHPV Simul.aspOpen ↗ I used a rider power of 200 watts, a vehicle
weight of 50 pounds, a rider weight of 170 pounds, a CdA of .055 (the Barracuda streamliner) and
an altitude of 2,000 feet *and* a slope 5 percent. The calculations show that the vehicle is doing
close to 85 miles per hour at the end of a 5 minute descent. The ascent tops out at 8 miles per
hour. There's plenty of rides around here that allow an 8 mph uphill- but 85 mph going back down?
*I* would be riding the brakes all the way.Jeff
I was referring to uphill only but interesting data anyway