Strength for Bigger Gears

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
how does one train to push bigger gears ? presently stuck in the big chain ring with 3rd biggest rear cog... need to push bigger gears at higher cadences...

Pedalling a bigger gear does not require anymore strength than you already have. What you need to develop is the amount of power you can produce. You produce more power by getting fitter, which is developed through training.

As you get fitter, your power at LT, power at VO2 max, and TT power will increase (if you are targeting endurance performance).

If you're unsure how to get fitter or want to make the most gains then a coach and/or a sport scientist are good ways to go (as both myself and 2LAP are).

Ric

SniperX firstly you should not use the big chain ring with the third biggest rear sprocket if you are using a nine speed. Look at the angle of the chain! Use the small chainring and some of the smaller sprockets such as the 15,16,17 to get the same ratios as 53-21,19 etc..
Pushing bigger gears, takes time and a lot of training, tempo, around 80% MHR and low cadence between 70-80RPM then when you feel fit enough start intervals at lacate threshold between 80 and 90% of MHR depending on fitness say 3mins and 3 sets pushing the big gears say 53 by 19,17 then increase the time up to ten minutes for an interval and ultimately the sets you can do, if you train properly the results you will see are massive!
Bearing in mind this a long term process build a solid base, then tempo then intervals stressing the aerobic then the anerobic system so adaptations can be made.

This is a hot topic for sure!!!

Check out what I have said about isolated leg training (ILT) on some of the other topics like knee injuries and time trial cadence. I'll start a post on it when I get the time.

It works for me!!!