Stretch (cold set) the frame of a comfort cruiser?

Ken Marcet

Guest
Just wondering if any one has done this? I was thinking about my next
project bike and this seems like a good idea.
Stretch it and put in a wheel / hub / cassette with like 7 or 8 speeds
change the front chainring to a 3/32 sized ring.
And then you would have a pretty comfy multi-speed cruiser. Better for
starting off and climbing hills.

Ken

--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 06:58:35 -0500, "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]>
may have said:

>Just wondering if any one has done this? I was thinking about my next
>project bike and this seems like a good idea.
>Stretch it and put in a wheel / hub / cassette with like 7 or 8 speeds
>change the front chainring to a 3/32 sized ring.
>And then you would have a pretty comfy multi-speed cruiser. Better for
>starting off and climbing hills.

It usually works as long as the right stays don't interfere with the
small sprocket, but you'll need to add a hanger for the rear der, or
use one of the Mall-Wart-bike-quality ders that have an axle-mount
tab. The front ring may already be narrow enough for a 3/32 chain;
the manufacturers tend to just use the thin sprockets in front even on
cruisers; it works, and it saves them from having to keep two kinds.
If it's not, it's still possible to get one that will work. If you
want to add a double or triple in the front, and if the BB is for an
Ashtabula crank, you'll need to use one of the adapter-type BB
assemblies that will allow the mounting of a square taper crank.
Cabling in such an instance is most easily accomplished by just
running a full-length housing.

Ken Marcet wrote:
> Just wondering if any one has done this? I was thinking about my next
> project bike and this seems like a good idea.
> Stretch it and put in a wheel / hub / cassette with like 7 or 8 speeds
> change the front chainring to a 3/32 sized ring.
> And then you would have a pretty comfy multi-speed cruiser. Better for
> starting off and climbing hills.

Most mild steel ones are easy. Some of the older American
cruisers take real muscle. I'm not sure I would want to
spread welded aluminum stays.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org