rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

stretching 661 veggie wrap shins?

Started by saam · · Last activity · 14 posts · 476 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
13 April 2005
Last activity
2 September 2005
Original author
saam
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
476
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. i purchased a pair of 661 veggie wrap shins. i tried one on in the shop
    and it was very compfy, a little snug but good. neway i got home and put
    them both on and again the same one fitted nicely but the other just
    fits and is really tight (no matter which leg it is on). i have tried
    stretching it around a post over night but i had no effect. ne ideas

    PS they are the same size :p (here is a pic)

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: ba_veggieshin.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/298618|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    saam - One Wheel Short of a Bike

    Life is only as fun as you make it

    84/603 UO NKS rating

    [email hidden] (add me)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    saam's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9168
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  2. take it back? one is smaller than the other....that sounds like good
    enough grounds to get a replacement pair from the shop.

    buena suerte

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    *I never post drunk but I always post stupid. *-harper
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  3. My Veggie shins are pretty tight, too. Its more likely that your legs
    are slightly asymmetrical. I doubt that these will stretch easily as
    they are made of neoprene which isn't known to stretch to a great
    degree. As I posted earlier these are really only cosmetic leg
    protection when it comes to unicycling, IMHO. I'd swap 'em for the
    similar Comp Shins 661 armour, which are Neoprene with hard plastic
    shells sewn in.

    --
    TonyMelton - Head in the clouds

    2005 Auckland Muni and Trials Weekend on April 23 to 25 in Auckland. Be
    there! 'Muni weekend information and registration'
    (http://tinyurl.com/4fagw)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  4. Id take em back, how well do they work, anyone use em?

    --
    caw89 - Cody

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery
    New stuff: Rock Jumpin

    AIM: unicaw89
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  5. TonyMelton said:

    * As I posted earlier these are really only cosmetic leg protection
    when it comes to unicycling, IMHO. I'd swap 'em for the similar Comp
    Shins 661 armour, which are Neoprene with hard plastic shells sewn in.
    *

    Cosmetic? I suppose stopping your legs from being banged/scratched to
    bits qualifies :p

    I think one of Saams legs is probably bigger than the other. He should
    bring it back and ask for a refund. Saam, if you don't have any luck
    with your parents, you could try not walking on that leg for about 2
    weeks, and just hopping on the other leg, which should have the same
    effect of debulking the muscle in the big leg.

    --
    GizmoDuck - NZUNI

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  6. TonyMelton said:

    * As I posted earlier these are really only cosmetic leg protection
    when it comes to unicycling, IMHO. *

    I can vouch for the veggie shin wraps being great protection. I have
    about 5 decent sized scars on my left shin from before I got the 661's.
    Since getting them, I have whacked myself pretty damn good and haven't
    even gotten a scratch... Worth the money in my humble opinion.

    --
    bombsquad - "Initial success or total failure"

    How much you wanna bet I can throw a football over them mountains?

    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and
    degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing
    is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is
    willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal
    safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless
    made so and kept so by the exertions of better men then himself."
    -John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bombsquad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8880
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  7. saam said:

    *and is really tight (no matter which leg it is on). *

    It's not from asymmetrical legs.

    --
    Seager - that one guy who does that stuff

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  8. As I posted in another recent thread about 661 veggie shins:

    I've worn both Roaches (similar to, but better than 4x4s) and Veggie
    shins. I've worn my veggies a grand total of 4 times. In my opinion
    these are little more than cosmetic leg armour for unicycling purposes.
    I tried some unispins with veggies on and got an enormous bruise through
    them when I missed and the pedal hit my shin. I can still feel two
    permanent bumps on my shin. And these were caused by freestyle pedals.
    I'd hate to think what damage a good hit from a metal pedal with pins
    would do.

    Roaches or 4x4s offer much better protection. Go for them if you value
    your shins! If you prefer the Neoprene type of leg armour Lizard Skins
    or the 661 Comp Shins offer better protection by virture of their
    plastic reinforcing.

    --
    TonyMelton - Head in the clouds

    2005 Auckland Muni and Trials Weekend on April 23 to 25 in Auckland. Be
    there! 'Muni weekend information and registration'
    (http://tinyurl.com/4fagw)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  9. Bump! I got a paor and theyre both a lil small, a lil too tight, there
    sizing charts were a lil wrong...so doesn anyone know how to stretch em,
    like soak em in water or something???

    --
    caw89 - Dont [censored] with the Chuck

    'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

    'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

    AIM: unicaw89
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  10. mine have stretched out a bit over the last couple months. the smaller
    one is just a tiny bit harder to do up but once they are on they feel
    the same.
    so my advice to caw89 is if you can live with it, they will stretch over
    time but if they are too small exchange them

    sam

    --
    saam - Half the Bike, Twice the Fun

    Life is only as fun as you make it

    [email hidden] (add me)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    saam's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9168
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  11. Well I dont think i can exchange them because they didnt send my other
    things i ordered as well so they didnt charge me...yet....so il just
    wear them adn hope they stretch.....

    --
    caw89 - Dont [censored] with the Chuck

    'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

    'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

    AIM: unicaw89
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  12. Where do you find these '661 Comp Shins'? I looked on the website, but
    couldn't find them.

    And the Lizard Skins aren't available in Canada, or even N. America, are
    they?

    Edit: Forget about the 661 Comp Shins. I Googled and found them. I'm
    not interested in hard-shelled leg armour, so they're out. Still
    interested in the Lizards though.

    --
    hecklar - Street Rider (Level 4)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  13. Alex Toms (Tomsey) wears Armadillo leg armour - similar to Lizard Skins.
    You could try PM'ing him.

    In my opinion 661 4x4s and Roach DH leg armour are preferable as they
    aren't nearly as hot to ride in and they protect your knees as well.

    --
    TonyMelton - Cloud 9

    The way to a man's heart is through his veins.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

  14. I have an old pair of the Lizard Skins shin pads. I got them in the
    last '90's when soccer shin pads and volleyball knee pads were the
    normal forms of leg protection for muni. I used the Lizard Skins once
    for muni and I hated them. They don't breathe. When you take them off
    there is a pool of sweat under them. Your legs will just get dripping
    soaked with sweat from those pads.

    I use the Lizard Skins now for the ultimate wheel. They work well for
    the UW because the tire can slide against the neoprene. But I still
    hate them because my legs get soaked with sweat. But they're good for
    the UW. Tradeoffs.

    The 661 4x4's are much more comfortable. The 4x4's actually breathe and
    allow the sweat to move away from your skin.

    Protection for the back of the calf is important for muni and trials.
    I've had pedals go right up the back of my calf many times. I've got
    scars on my calfs to remind me of the times I've tried to go riding
    without the armour.

    One option would be to add your own calf protection to some standard
    open back MTB leg armour. Buy some ballistics nylon fabric and figure
    out how to attach it to the leg straps or sew it to the leg straps.
    Just something to cover the back of the calf to protect your calf from
    getting chewed up by the pedal pins.

    'Core Rat' (http://www.corerat.com/products/products.html) makes leg
    armour with a separate calf protection fabric flap.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
    ' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) >>>'Click Me'
    (http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)<<<
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39591

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.