7 Oct 2003 22:24:30 +0100 Andy Key said:In message <[email hidden]>, Jim Adney <[email hidden]> writes
Quoted message said:Remove the indicator chain and the right axle nut, then you can pump oil down the axle. I
agree that is is likely to help. I also concur with Andy that I doubt if S-A ever made grease
filled hubs.
I got that from one of my bike maintenance books, and it's backed up by the Sturmey Archer
maintenance guide which specifies grease rather than oil. As I understand it, earlier models of the
AW used oil, while the later ones use grease and are identifiable by (surprise) the lack of an oil
port on the outside of the hub. It was news to me - I spent ages turning the wheel looking for the
oil port on this one...
The S-A literature has always had the suggestion to smear some grease on the ball bearing races
(there are 3.) The rest of the hub is oil lubricated. I would expect the pawls to stick if grease
were used and then allowed to age.
While early hubs had metal oilers and middle era hubs came with plastic ones, the late hubs had
nothing, but were meant to be oiled by dripping oil down the hole in the axle. I suspect that the
lack of an oiler led lots of people to believe that they were suddenly maintenance-free by virtue of
being grease filled.
It's possible, however, that S-A actually DID start using a very light grease at some point.
Personally, I suspect that you hub just went dry and the pawl springs rusted or froze so that the
pawls are just sitting there, depressed and disengaged. You will probably need new pawl springs,
called R-springs, which you can probably bend up yourself from some .010 spring wire from the
hardware store.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:While overhauling one of these successfully is not difficult, you're much better off finding
someone who's done this before, rather than just guessing at what all the tricks might be.
Quoted message said:Yeah. Update on that: my friend took it to the better of the two local bike shops, where the
mechanic said: "[sharp intake of breath] Oooh, I've never taken one of them apart before. Dunno
about that. There's a bloke who delivers the local newspaper, he knows about stuff like this, bring
it back next week and we'll ask him to have a look."
Right. Common problem in today's market.
Quoted message said:So maybe I will have a go myself! What's the worst that can happen?...
Worst case you're only out a wheel.
If you want to try this yourself, start by completely removing the LEFT cone and then use a hammer
and punch to unscrew the large ring (inboard from the sprocket) from the hub shell. After that,
clamp the left end of the flatted axle vertically in a vise and proceed to remove the parts from the
top of the "stack" one at a time.
Disassembly is easy, assembly depends on remembering how it came apart. Proper operation afterwards
depends on knowing what to look for when you have it apart.
Once you get it open it will be obvious if this hub was ever packed full of grease. I'm interested
in what you find.
-
-----------------------------------------------
Jim Adney [email hidden] Madison, WI 53711 USA
-----------------------------------------------