Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Stubborn tire remover thingy

Started by Don · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,398 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
16 October 2003
Last activity
21 October 2003
Original author
Don
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,398
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I wrote
    it down and then promptly lost the paper.

    It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires but is
    too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim Taylor
    would use. It was also not very common.

    So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

  2. [email hidden] (Don) wrote in news:bf9a2acd.0310161253.71960f14 @posting.google.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
    wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.

    It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires but
    is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
    Taylor would use. It was also not very common.

    So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

    Shwalbe makes a really neat looking plastic iron that I just saw on their website. Blunt on the end
    so you won't poke your tube when installing. Saw it on their website. (how come they don't list 20"
    Stelvio's?)

  3. I think what you're thinking of is a tire putting on thing. Just use three regular tire irons (1),
    or tire plastics to get the bead unseated then use the Crank Bros tool to zip the tire off.

    1. I have had the damn things break so I carry three or four and the Crank Bros tool in my seat
    bag. Try to find polycarbonate or ABS levers. The polyethylene (milk bottle plastic) aren't
    worth [censored].

    "MLB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Don) wrote in news:bf9a2acd.0310161253.71960f14 @posting.google.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
    wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.

    It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires
    but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
    Taylor would use. It was also not very common.

    So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

    Shwalbe makes a really neat looking plastic iron that I just saw on their website. Blunt on the
    end so you won't poke your tube when installing. Saw it on their website. (how come they don't
    list 20" Stelvio's?)

  4. I have had the pleasure of watching this in action, tinyurl.comr9q6 , called a Kool Stop
    Tire Jack Haven't tried it myself. rorschandt

    Quoted message said:

    "MLB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Don) wrote in news:bf9a2acd.0310161253.71960f14 @posting.google.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
    wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.

    It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires
    but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something
    Tim Taylor would use. It was also not very common.

    So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

    Shwalbe makes a really neat looking plastic iron that I just saw on their website. Blunt on the
    end so you won't poke your tube when installing. Saw it on their website. (how come they don't
    list 20" Stelvio's?)

    --
    May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
    strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or
    far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none by
    anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
    protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

  5. rorschandt, Thanks, we have a winner. The Kool Stop Tire Jack was what I was trying to remember. And
    as an added bonus you gave a link for a really Kool on-line bike tool retail store. I had never
    heard of Bike Tools Etc.

    While we are on the topic of tire levers, I want to warn riders not to buy the blue Park levers that
    come in a three pack. I have never used more poorly designed levers. The blunt end is too blunt and
    shaped wrong. Hard to get it between the bead and rim and then it slips out. How can you get a tire
    iron wrong? Park did.

    I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat, single round stick with a grip
    on one end and a way toooooo fat end that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I can
    not find mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park blue so I suspect
    them again.

    In continued Park bashing, I have one of their older chain cleaners that works very poorly. I wish
    someone at Park actually rode a bike and worked on it occasionally.

    The best tire levers I have are Specialized. They come in a snap together trio. The levers are flat
    and wavy (side to side). Meaning to say they are kind of "C" shaped in one plane and "S" shaped in
    the other. The have some ribs for grip. Anyway, they are the best. I have not been able to find them
    in a long time. If I could, I would buy more sets so each of my rides could have them and then throw
    out all my other levers. Don

    rorschandt <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have had the pleasure of watching this in action, tinyurl.comr9q6 , called a Kool Stop
    Tire Jack Haven't tried it myself. rorschandt

  6. [email hidden] (Don) wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    rorschandt, Thanks, we have a winner. The Kool Stop Tire Jack was what I was trying to remember.
    And as an added bonus you gave a link for a really Kool on-line bike tool retail store. I had
    never heard of Bike Tools Etc.

    I actually have yet to purchase from them. caveat emptor.Usually the LBS has it at the same price
    (or close) and doesn't charge shipping.

    Quoted message said:


    While we are on the topic of tire levers, I want to warn riders not to buy the blue Park levers
    that come in a three pack. I have never used more poorly designed levers. The blunt end is too
    blunt and shaped wrong. Hard to get it between the bead and rim and then it slips out. How can you
    get a tire iron wrong? Park did.

    Park makes lots of good stuff, likely they specified the wrong plastic or there was a bad batch,etc.
    Could be they just suck, I haven't used them.

    Quoted message said:


    I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat, single round stick with a grip
    on one end and a way toooooo fat end that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I can
    not find mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park blue so I suspect
    them again.

    I have one and it is not made by Park. I found it laying in the street. I like it. Use with another
    lever to get the bead up, shove the stick in and zing, the tire is off! When I worked in bike shops,
    it was one of the coolest things invented if you changed ten or twenty tubes a day. Saves wear and
    tear on the thumbs.

    Quoted message said:


    In continued Park bashing, I have one of their older chain cleaners that works very poorly. I wish
    someone at Park actually rode a bike and worked on it occasionally.

    I have a Park Chain tool from the '70s, that is like a big pair of pliers. Pops links apart in no
    time, none of that "twist the little crank until the pin bends or jumps onto the chain plate" [censored].

    Quoted message said:


    The best tire levers I have are Specialized. They come in a snap together trio. The levers are
    flat and wavy (side to side). Meaning to say they are kind of "C" shaped in one plane and "S"
    shaped in the other. The have some ribs for grip. Anyway, they are the best. I have not been able
    to find them in a long time. If I could, I would buy more sets so each of my rides could have them
    and then throw out all my other levers. Don

    Here you go: tinyurl.comrb0z

    happy trails, r

  7. Terry bikes has one:

    terrybicycles.com7400000.lasso

    But the best advice that I got on the subject was from Mark Stonich here or on the trike list. I am
    not sure that I can repeat it with the same clarity. The trick with a stubborn tire is to get the
    bead of one side of the tire down into the deepest part of the U shape of the cross section of the
    wheel before trying to remove or replace it on the opposite side. The diameter of the tire is
    narrowest there. Once you get one side into that low point, work (pull) the tire around both ways to
    the opposite side. That will free up enough play to more easily remove it or replace it on the rim.

    I bought the tool and then never used it. I have used the advice repeatedly.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    [email hidden] (Don) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
    wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.

    It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires but
    is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
    Taylor would use. It was also not very common.

    So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

  8. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Don) wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat, single round stick with a
    grip on one end and a way toooooo fat end that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I
    can not find mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park blue so I
    suspect them again.



    rorschandt <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    I have one and it is not made by Park. I found it laying in the street. I

    Quoted message said:

    like it. Use with another lever to get the bead up, shove the stick in and zing, the tire is off!
    When I worked in bike shops, it was one of the coolest things invented if you changed ten or
    twenty tubes a day. Saves wear and tear on the thumbs.

    rorschandt, LOL---I found my Speed Stick in the street also. I thought it was my lucky day and felt
    bad for the poor soul that lost it (probably from a jersey pocket). After I tried using it, I just
    figured they threw it away 🙂 Maybe is works great if you carry a real tire lever with you but I am
    sure Speed Stick advertised it as "the only tool you will ever need to change a tire".

  9. This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

    ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C396E2.EF59A230 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

    I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It's the only tool I have found that = I can install the
    Schwalbe Stelvio foldable 26 x 1 tire on my Velocity = Razor rim.

    I always carry it with me in case of a flat knowing I would not be able = to get the tire back on
    the rim without it.

    Here's the link. koolstop.comaccessories.html

    John

    "Don" <[email hidden]> wrote in message = "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
    wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.
    =20
    It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires but
    is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
    Taylor would use. It was also not very common.
    =20
    So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

    ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C396E2.EF59A230 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It's = the only=20 tool I have
    found that I can install the Schwalbe Stelvio foldable 26 x = 1 tire=20 on my Velocity Razor
    rim.</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT face=3DArial>I always carry it with me in case of a flat = knowing I=20 would not be
    able to get the tire back on the rim without =
    it.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
    <DV><FONT face=3DArial>Here's the link. <A=20
    href=3D"koolstop.comaccessories.html">koolstop.com=
    brakes/accessories.html</A></FONT></DIV>
    <DVI><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVII><FONT face=3DArial>John</FONT></DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
    <DIX><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
    <DX><FONT face=3DArial>"Don" <</FONT><A = href=3D""][email hidden]"><FONT=20
    face=3DArial>[email hidden]</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial>> wrote = in message=20
    </FONT><A = href=3D""]news:[email hidden]"><FONT=20
    face=3DArial>"]news:[email hidden]</FONT><= /A><FONT=20
    face=3DArial>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial>> Hi, A few = weeks ago one=20 of
    the threads had mention of a good tool to<BR>> remove stubborn=20 tires. I wrote it
    down and then promptly lost the<BR>> = paper.<BR>>=20 <BR>> It was not the Crank
    Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and = it=20 works<BR>> great on cooperative tires
    but is too wimpy for really = tough=20 jobs. I<BR>> think the tool recommended was
    more like something = Tim=20 Taylor would<BR>> use. It was also not very
    common.<BR>> = <BR>>=20 So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate
    where = to<BR>> buy=20
    iu. Thanks, Don</FONT></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C396E2.EF59A230--

  10. I bought the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack at Cambie Cycles while visiting Vancouver. What a great tool;
    it makes getting Vredenstein S-Licks on the rim an "easy" task. I always carry it with me. paul

    "John W" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It's the only tool I have found that I can install the
    Schwalbe Stelvio foldable 26 x 1 tire on my Velocity Razor rim.

    I always carry it with me in case of a flat knowing I would not be able to get the tire back on
    the rim without it.

    Here's the link. koolstop.comaccessories.html

    John

    "Don" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to remove stubborn tires. I
    wrote it down and then promptly lost the paper.

    It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works great on cooperative tires
    but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I think the tool recommended was more like something Tim
    Taylor would use. It was also not very common.

    So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to buy it. Thanks, Don

    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.