Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Stupid idea, straight to drops?

Started by KakenBetaal · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,146 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 August 2004
Last activity
10 August 2004
Original author
KakenBetaal
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,146
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I got a Specialized Sirrus Elite a while ago, and I'm realising I really should have got a Sequoia instead, mainly because of the drops. Is it feasible to buy some handlebars and brake/gear shifters to do this, and if so which ones should I get?

    Here's the bike spec:
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6871&JServSessionIdroot=tsdvhzo19k.j27002

    Of course what I'd really like to do is win the lottery, buy a serious road bike, and have the choice! 😉

  2. It's possible to get bars and shifters to do this, and if you really want drops that's the thing to do, but it's not especially easy nor cheap. Shifters are one of the most expensive components on a bike, cheapest I've seen 9 speed shifters is $140 for 105 at nashbar. You can usually get a bar for about 20, you'll need tape and maybe new housing for the cables, probably new cables to boot (not that cables are where the cost is coming from). So it's a somewhat major undertaking. Hope that helps.

  3. I'm no expert so please don't flame me.
    But why not put areobars on it. I don't know how the brakes & or shifters would work in this case but that was suggested to me when I was looking at the same bike.

  4. Cheers guys! The bike comes with a 9 speed Shimano Tiagra derailleur, but an 8 speed cassette - can I use 9 speed shifters with that? If I need to get a 9 speed cassette that probably wouldn't be a bad thing as I could do with something a bit bigger than the 25 tooth on the back. ( :o There are some fairly steep little hills here). Oh and a chain of course.

  5. KakenBetaal said:

    Cheers guys! The bike comes with a 9 speed Shimano Tiagra derailleur, but an 8 speed cassette - can I use 9 speed shifters with that? If I need to get a 9 speed cassette that probably wouldn't be a bad thing as I could do with something a bit bigger than the 25 tooth on the back. ( :o There are some fairly steep little hills here). Oh and a chain of course.

    You can't use 9 speed shifters unless you also get 9 speed casettte and cahin. 8 speed casetes are available with 28 tooth large cogs,and 9 speed shimano only goes to 27.

  6. Thanks, that's what I thought. Oh yes, will road gear shifters work with the v brakes on the bike?

  7. KakenBetaal said:

    Thanks, that's what I thought. Oh yes, will road gear shifters work with the v brakes on the bike?

    No, not without an adapter.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.