General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Substitute for gelatin in mousse?

Started by Doug Kanter · · Last activity · 60 posts · 1,920 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 June 2005
Last activity
3 July 2005
Original author
Doug Kanter
Posts
60
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,920
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 60
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

  2. On Thu 30 Jun 2005 11:37:18a, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Sorry to say, but vegetarians make me "groan". I won't invite them or cook
    for them unless, of course, they are vegetarian by doctor's orders, which is
    rarely the case.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0526-3, 06/30/2005
    Tested on: 6/30/2005 12:03:01 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  3. Wayne Boatwright said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Sorry to say, but vegetarians make me "groan". I won't invite them or cook
    for them unless, of course, they are vegetarian by doctor's orders, which is
    rarely the case.

    I am with you. I consider it to be a fad diet. They are welcome to it, but I
    won't cater to them. Most of them go back to eating meat eventually.

  4. Doug Kanter said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Commercially prepared gelatin is not considered meat or vegetable...
    such gelatin is no more meat than calcium is bone. But it'd be very
    easy for your friend to substitute pectin... I love that word,
    peckertin, goes especially well with her melons... or are those
    meloins. hehe

    Sheldon

  5. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu 30 Jun 2005 11:37:18a, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way
    around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Sorry to say, but vegetarians make me "groan". I won't invite them or
    cook
    for them unless, of course, they are vegetarian by doctor's orders, which
    is
    rarely the case.

    I agree, but this particular vegetarian's clothes tend to fall off when
    she's served grilled portobello mushrooms, so I'm hesitant to criticize her
    meal plan. :-)

  6. On Thu 30 Jun 2005 12:15:10p, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu 30 Jun 2005 11:37:18a, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way
    around this, other than being sneaky?

    Sorry to say, but vegetarians make me "groan". I won't invite them or
    cook for them unless, of course, they are vegetarian by doctor's
    orders, which is rarely the case.

    I agree, but this particular vegetarian's clothes tend to fall off when
    she's served grilled portobello mushrooms, so I'm hesitant to criticize
    her meal plan. :-)

    Motivation is all important!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0526-3, 06/30/2005
    Tested on: 6/30/2005 12:17:31 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  7. Sheldon said:


    Doug Kanter said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Commercially prepared gelatin is not considered meat or vegetable...
    such gelatin is no more meat than calcium is bone. But it'd be very
    easy for your friend to substitute pectin... I love that word,
    peckertin, goes especially well with her melons... or are those
    meloins. hehe

    Sheldon

    what the hell are you smoking, sheldon? gelatin is considered meat by
    most vegetarians because it is derived from meat. Peopel who keep kosher
    do not consume gelatin products with milk meals (generally speaking).

    --

    saerah

    "It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

    aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

    "I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
    contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
    -König Prüß

  8. "sarah bennett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:


    Doug Kanter said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way
    around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Commercially prepared gelatin is not considered meat or vegetable...
    such gelatin is no more meat than calcium is bone. But it'd be very
    easy for your friend to substitute pectin... I love that word,
    peckertin, goes especially well with her melons... or are those
    meloins. hehe

    Sheldon

    what the hell are you smoking, sheldon? gelatin is considered meat by most
    vegetarians because it is derived from meat. Peopel who keep kosher do not
    consume gelatin products with milk meals (generally speaking).

    At least that keeps cream from being mixed with jello, which is a crime.

  9. "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    My friend is also a vegetarian, and she uses agar in place of gelatin. It's
    derived from seaweed, so there's no conflict there.

    kimberly

  10. Doug Kanter said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way
    around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Agar flakes are a vegetarian substitute for animal gelatine and are made
    from a type of sea vegetable, and there is a type of root that i can not
    recall the name of that is ground and used as a gelling agent, it is not
    tapioca. I have not used either of them so i can not say how they taste
    but my rodale natural food cook book is very complementary about agar.

    Perhaps some one else can tell us the name of the white root that can be
    bought in chunks or a powdered form and is commonly used in Africa as a
    gelling agent.

    Commercial pectin contains calcium salts but it is possible to make home
    made pectin with out it.
    ---
    JL

  11. sarah bennett said:
    Sheldon said:


    Doug Kanter said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Commercially prepared gelatin is not considered meat or vegetable...
    such gelatin is no more meat than calcium is bone. But it'd be very
    easy for your friend to substitute pectin... I love that word,
    peckertin, goes especially well with her melons... or are those
    meloins. hehe

    Sheldon

    what the hell are you smoking, sheldon? gelatin is considered meat by
    most vegetarians because it is derived from meat. Peopel who keep kosher
    do not consume gelatin products with milk meals (generally speaking).

    I don't smoke.

    "(generally speaking)" is a disclaimer... so you're attmpting to cover
    your big fat butt but even Omar the tentmaker can't.

    ttp://www.ivu.org/faq/gelatine.html

    What is kosher gelatine?

    from the Vegetarian Resource Group:
    Kosher gelatin can be made with fish bones, and/or beef skins. Contrary
    to assumptions, it is also considered kosher to use it with dairy
    products. Kosher law is very complex and the bones and hides used in
    gelatin production are considered pareve. The general meaning of pareve
    refers to foods that are neither milk nor meat, and many people assume
    this means that the product is vegetarian. However, OU pareve certified
    ingredients can have animal products, such as fish, eggs, and gelatin,
    in them.
    "Kosher Gelatin Marshmallows: Glatt Kosher and 'OU-Pareve'," an article
    that appeared in Kashrus Magazine, explains the distinctions. A quote
    from the article is as follows:
    "...since the gelatin product is from hides or bones - not real flesh -
    and has undergone such significant changes, it is no longer considered
    'fleishig' (meat) but 'pareve', and can be eaten with dairy products."
    ---

    Sheldon

  12. To: Doug Kanter
    Re: Re: Substitute for gelatin in mousse?
    By: Doug Kanter to rec.food.cooking on Thu Jun 30 2005 08:15 pm

    Quoted message said:

    From Newsgroup: rec.food.cooking

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu 30 Jun 2005 11:37:18a, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way
    around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Sorry to say, but vegetarians make me "groan". I won't invite them or
    cook
    for them unless, of course, they are vegetarian by doctor's orders, which
    is
    rarely the case.

    I agree, but this particular vegetarian's clothes tend to fall off when
    she's served grilled portobello mushrooms, so I'm hesitant to criticize her
    meal plan. :-)

    --- Synchronet 3.12a-Win32 NewsLink 1.76


    there is a news group called rec.food.cooking.veg try that for veg food. Maybe
    you can find something there.
    --- Synchronet 3.12a-Win32 NewsLink 1.76
    * Digital Aquarium - Denver, Co - telnet://digiaq.mine.nu

  13. "Joseph Littleshoes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps some one else can tell us the name of the white root that can be
    bought in chunks or a powdered form and is commonly used in Africa as a
    gelling agent.

    I believe cassava and tapioca are the same plant

  14. "Doug Kanter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I agree, but this particular vegetarian's clothes tend to fall off when
    she's served grilled portobello mushrooms, so I'm hesitant to criticize
    her meal plan. :-)


    I've heard tequila may have the same effect

  15. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Thu 30 Jun 2005 11:37:18a, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    Sorry to say, but vegetarians make me "groan". I won't invite them or cook
    for them unless, of course, they are vegetarian by doctor's orders, which is
    rarely the case.

    I, on the other hand, invite people over because I enjoy their company
    and will do what I can to make them happy when they are over. It's a
    poor cook who can't come up with a few vegetarian dishes.

    Brian

  16. On Thu 30 Jun 2005 04:38:10p, Default User wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Thu 30 Jun 2005 11:37:18a, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way
    around this, other than being sneaky?

    Sorry to say, but vegetarians make me "groan". I won't invite them or
    cook for them unless, of course, they are vegetarian by doctor's
    orders, which is rarely the case.

    I, on the other hand, invite people over because I enjoy their company
    and will do what I can to make them happy when they are over. It's a
    poor cook who can't come up with a few vegetarian dishes.

    To each his own...

    I invite them, too, just not for dinner. I'm a fairly accomplished cook
    and could, no doubt, come up with as many vegatarian dishes as necessary.
    I just prefer not to, as I don't enjoy preparing them or eating them.

    When I prepare dinner for friends, I like to present a menu that I enjoy
    cooking and that I know we will all enjoy eating.

    I only have two vegetarian friends and I much prefer to eat out together at
    a restaurant of their choice. Everyone ends up with food they enjoy and
    it's a pleasant evening.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0526-3, 06/30/2005
    Tested on: 6/30/2005 4:49:39 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  17. Doug Kanter said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon
    mousse recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it.
    Any way around this, other than being sneaky?

    You say vegetarian, not vegan, so would egg white be
    acceptable? Of course, it would have to be cooked,
    for example microwaved, to make it set up.

    The gels suggested by other posters such as agar are
    polysaccharides, not protein. Gelatin is protein, as is
    egg white.

  18. Joseph Littleshoes said:

    Agar flakes are a vegetarian substitute for animal gelatine
    and are made from a type of sea vegetable,

    Can be found at asian food stores. I've only seen it
    as threads or blocks, not flakes. It's either off-white
    or artificially colored red.

    Quoted message said:

    and there is a type of root that i can not recall the
    name of that is ground and used as a gelling agent,
    it is not tapioca.

    Ground arrowroot is used as a thickener (Graham Kerr
    was famous for using it), but I don't think it will gel.

  19. "Mark Thorson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon
    mousse recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it.
    Any way around this, other than being sneaky?

    You say vegetarian, not vegan, so would egg white be
    acceptable? Of course, it would have to be cooked,
    for example microwaved, to make it set up.

    The gels suggested by other posters such as agar are
    polysaccharides, not protein. Gelatin is protein, as is
    egg white.

    Good idea. Thanks.

  20. Dave Smith said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got a vegetarian friend who's eyeing a recipe for a melon mousse
    recipe, but it's got gelatin in it, and she won't touch it. Any way around
    this, other than being sneaky?

    You can use seaweed as a thickener. When I see it on labels, it's just
    called "agar." When I was in dental assisting school, and we were making
    impressions of a patient's teeth, we used "agar-agar." I don't know what,
    if any difference there is between the terms.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sorry to say, but vegetarians make me "groan". I won't invite them or cook
    for them unless, of course, they are vegetarian by doctor's orders, which is
    rarely the case.

    I am with you. I consider it to be a fad diet. They are welcome to it, but I
    won't cater to them. Most of them go back to eating meat eventually.

    I'm not addressing this to either or both of you. I'm addressing it to the
    Universe. What's wrong with putting together a nice salad, spaghetti,
    sauce, meatballs on the side, garlic toast, and a fruit salad for dessert?
    Easy, delicious, and un-weird.

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.