General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Substitutes for flour question

Started by Me · · Last activity · 22 posts · 343 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 September 2007
Last activity
21 September 2007
Original author
Me
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
343
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Sep 18, 9:01 pm, Ed <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Me said:

    Hi all,
    I wonder if anyone can advise me as to which substitute for flour is most
    appropriate for which type of foods. I see in George Stella's first book he
    uses soy flour and wheat or oat bran, many people say they use almond meal
    and I believe there is a comment by Dr Atkins to use protein powder if you
    aren't using his low carb baking mix. Are all of these alternatives
    interchangeable for any type of food or is one more suited for pizza dough
    and breads and another more suited for something sweeter? Is it all just a
    matter of personal taste or is there some rule to using flour substitutes?
    I am especially interested in which low carb flour substitute would make a
    good white sauce. I really want to make cauliflower and cheese similar to
    baked macaroni and cheese made with white sauce.

    Quoted message said:

    Any help would be very much appreciated.

    Quoted message said:

    Rebecca

    Quoted message said:

    reply to newsgroup or sun89121 at cox dot net.

    If you have an Indian Grocery available, try Besan which is Chickpea
    Flour. It is about half the carbs of wheat flour. As a type 2 diabetic
    I can have cookies made with Besan and waffles too. It also works great
    for thickening sauces. Cook it well to reduce any unwanted flavor.

    I use Besan for coating chicken and fish for frying-a real occasional
    treat.

    New to group-Ed

    I used coconut flour in cookies and they came out great. Just don't
    eat too many at once. It has a sort of laxative effect.

    Rebecca J.

  2. RebeccaJ said:

    I used coconut flour in cookies and they came out great. Just don't
    eat too many at once. It has a sort of laxative effect.

    Rebecca J.

    That's because coconut flour is almost all fiber. 🙂

    Myra

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.