General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

successful Barb's custard cake variations?

Started by Jude · · Last activity · 13 posts · 367 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 August 2005
Last activity
5 August 2005
Original author
Jude
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
367
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
    cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
    one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
    it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
    cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
    What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

  2. Jude said:

    I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
    cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
    one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
    it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
    cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
    What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

    Have you tried the frozen food section? I think it's in bags.

  3. "sf" <sf@gmail> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jude said:

    I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
    cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
    one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
    it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
    cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
    What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

    Have you tried the frozen food section? I think it's in bags.

    I've used tinned, it's not quite as good and is a little sweeter, I've also
    used cherries (put them in the bottom as I'm not sure if they'd sink. Lynn
    used blueberries and said they didn't sink but were good)
    Raspberries should be nice if a little soft.
    Sarah

  4. Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

    "Jude" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
    cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
    one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
    it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
    cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
    What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

  5. Jen wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

    Google is your friend.

    --
    It's not a question of where he grips it!
    It's a simple question of weight ratios!

    A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

  6. Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Jen wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

    Google is your friend.

    Please pardon Mr. Cheesy Chicken. He works for Google.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Rhubarb Custard Cake

    Recipe By :shared by Barb Schaller
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : cakes desserts
    fruits

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer
    4 cups chopped rhubarb
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups

    Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into
    greased and floured 9x13" pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the cake
    batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the whipping cream
    (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until cake
    springs back when lightly touched.

    Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer. Makes
    1-18 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.

    Source:
    "Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per serving: 258 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (44% calories from fat);
    2g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 37mg Cholesterol; 199mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2
    Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates

    NOTES : If you make the full recipe, make certain your pan is at least
    2-1/2" deep -- 3" is better. If it's only two inches, take out about a
    half cup of the batter before proceeding with the rhubarb, sugar, and
    cream.

    Halve the recipe (Jiffy one-layer cake mix) and use a 9" square pan; bake
    ±45 minutes. (5/16/95.)

  7. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Jen wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

    Google is your friend.

    Please pardon Mr. Cheesy Chicken. He works for Google.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Rhubarb Custard Cake

    Recipe By :shared by Barb Schaller
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : cakes desserts
    fruits

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer
    4 cups chopped rhubarb
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups

    Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into
    greased and floured 9x13" pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the
    cake
    batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the whipping
    cream
    (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until cake
    springs back when lightly touched.

    Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer. Makes
    1-18 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.

    Source:
    "Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per serving: 258 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (44% calories from fat);
    2g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 37mg Cholesterol; 199mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2
    Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates

    NOTES : If you make the full recipe, make certain your pan is at least
    2-1/2" deep -- 3" is better. If it's only two inches, take out about a
    half cup of the batter before proceeding with the rhubarb, sugar, and
    cream.

    Halve the recipe (Jiffy one-layer cake mix) and use a 9" square pan; bake
    ±45 minutes. (5/16/95.)

    A half recipe makes 6 muffin size cakes, and cooks in about 25 minutes.
    Sarah

  8. Damsel said:
    Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Jen wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

    Google is your friend.

    Please pardon Mr. Cheesy Chicken. He works for Google.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Rhubarb Custard Cake

    <snip>

    I may make this for a party next weekend. It keeps getting reposted so
    I can't ignore it any longer. 😉

    -L.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    -L. said:
    Quoted message said:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Rhubarb Custard Cake

    <snip>

    I may make this for a party next weekend. It keeps getting reposted so
    I can't ignore it any longer. 😉

    -L.

    Go ahead, ignore it. Save it for next Spring. I wouldn't make it with
    frozen fruit. I think it (the fruit) would be too wet.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (no pictures
    yet, though)

  10. Jude said:

    I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
    cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
    one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
    it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
    cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
    What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

    Now, if I could only figure out how to make it without rhubarb <G>.
    Rhubarb is Barb's beets to me.

    --
    The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
    At least now I have an excuse.

  11. =============================

    Try substituting a package of cinnamon red hot candies for about 1/2 t0
    1 cup of the sugar,
    This makes the cake prettier as rubarb is not exactly the most
    appetizing LOOKING fruit when cookes.
    Mesides it tastes really good!
    Lynn from Fargo†

  12. Jude said:

    I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
    cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
    one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
    it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
    cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
    What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

    I've used fresh pineapple (use half a good size one).
    I've used strawberries also.

    I like the cake but my family is indifferent to its charms. That means
    that I end up eating the whole thing which is not good for my
    waistline.

    Good luck,
    Susan B.

  13. Jude said:

    I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
    cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
    one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
    it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
    cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
    What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?


    Frozen mixed berries worked well (I thawed then drained much of the
    juice)....

    David

    --

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist
    the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

    H.L. Mencken

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.