General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

sugar free foods

Started by Risa Levovsky · · Last activity · 58 posts · 2,054 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Risa Levovsky
Posts
58
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,054
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 58
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am new to this group.

    As a gerontologist, I enjoy sharing my expertise in issues
    related to aging with people throughout the world. In my
    research, I have found that people with diabetes are often
    non compliant because they get bored with the standard
    diabetic diet and want to revert back recipes that seem more
    appealing.

    It is no secret that Diabetics need carefully controlled,
    well- balanced meals. But that doesn't mean they have to be
    limited to the same dull thing over and over. With a little
    effort and creativity, meals can be fun, nutritious, and
    delicious.With the permission of the moderator, I'd like to
    share some delicious sugar-free foods with the group.

    Happy eating!

    Risa

    Diabetic Pasta Salad Corkscrew pasta 4 fresh mushrooms,
    sliced 1 cucumber, sliced Kraft reduced calorie zesty
    Italian dressing1 onion, sliced 1 tomato, diced 1 green
    pepper, chopped

    Cook and rinse pasta in cold water. Mix with remaining
    ingredients and marinate in dressing. Chill and serve.

    For more sugar- free foods, you can find great recipes at
    www.discountdiabeticsupplies.com

  2. Risa...

    As a gerontologist, you should also be aware that "sugar-
    free" is not our goal.

    It's correct carb consumption... all carbs, not just sugar.

    There is no moderator to this group, but it's not really the
    forum for recipes.

    There are three diabetic newsgroups that have the most
    traffic. While there is cross over in content, they
    basically break down thusly:

    misc. health.diabetes - a forum for the nuts and bolts
    science and control of our disease alt.support.diabetes - a
    more "personal" forum for coaching, venting and sorting
    through how we cope with our disease alt. food. diabetes - a
    recipe, cooking forum. The perfect place for your post

    Tell us, do you work for the website you've posted? Are you
    a diabetic?

    Jennifer

    Risa Levovsky said:

    I am new to this group.

    As a gerontologist, I enjoy sharing my expertise in issues
    related to aging with people throughout the world. In my
    research, I have found that people with diabetes are often
    non compliant because they get bored with the standard
    diabetic diet and want to revert back recipes that seem
    more appealing.

    It is no secret that Diabetics need carefully controlled,
    well- balanced meals. But that doesn't mean they have to
    be limited to the same dull thing over and over. With a
    little effort and creativity, meals can be fun,
    nutritious, and delicious.With the permission of the
    moderator, I'd like to share some delicious sugar-free
    foods with the group.

    Happy eating!

    Risa

    Diabetic Pasta Salad Corkscrew pasta 4 fresh mushrooms,
    sliced 1 cucumber, sliced Kraft reduced calorie zesty
    Italian dressing1 onion, sliced 1 tomato, diced 1 green
    pepper, chopped

    Cook and rinse pasta in cold water. Mix with remaining
    ingredients and marinate in dressing. Chill and serve.

  3. Diabetics react badly to carbohydrates, nix the pasta and
    you have a better meal.

    Oh, and commercial posts are against the charter of almost
    all newsgroups and can result in you having your email
    account pulled. Have a nice day.

  4. On 12 Jun 2004 17:07:30 -0700, [email hidden] (Risa Levovsky)

    Quoted message said:

    I am new to this group.

    As a gerontologist, I enjoy sharing my expertise in issues
    related to aging with people throughout the world. In my
    research, I have found that people with diabetes are often
    non compliant because they get bored with the standard
    diabetic diet and want to revert back recipes that seem
    more appealing.

    It is no secret that Diabetics need carefully controlled,
    well- balanced meals. But that doesn't mean they have to be
    limited to the same dull thing over and over. With a little
    effort and creativity, meals can be fun, nutritious, and
    delicious.With the permission of the moderator, I'd like to
    share some delicious sugar-free foods with the group.

    Happy eating!

    Risa

    Diabetic Pasta Salad Corkscrew pasta 4 fresh mushrooms,
    sliced 1 cucumber, sliced Kraft reduced calorie zesty
    Italian dressing1 onion, sliced 1 tomato, diced 1 green
    pepper, chopped

    Cook and rinse pasta in cold water. Mix with remaining
    ingredients and marinate in dressing. Chill and serve.

    For more sugar- free foods, you can find great recipes at
    www.makemelotsofmoney.com

    It's Spam. Go away.

    Who cares if the pasta is sugar-free? It's still bloody
    starch! Not to mention the probable carbs in that "Kraft
    reduced calorie zesty Italian dressing".

    God (any god!) help me if I ever end up in a nursing home
    run by a gerontologist with this level of knowledge of Type
    2 diabetes.

    You should be charged with poisoning your patients. If, of
    course, you actually are a gerontologist.

    Bye.

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
    carbs to email.
    --
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

  5. "Risa Levovsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am new to this group.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    For more sugar- free foods, you can find great recipes at


    <snip>

    And you're obviously either not diabetic and/or just
    misinformed. Sugar isn't the culprit here, it's carbs. Yes,
    sugar is a carb. But so is pasta. There is no reason a
    diabetic would have to eat boring bland foods unless that
    was his or her choice. Most of us eat regular old foods like
    like everyone else.

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

  6. On 12 Jun 2004 17:07:30 -0700, [email hidden] (Risa Levovsky)

    Quoted message said:

    I am new to this group.

    this was in fact a commercial post.

    58 posts in this thread so far and the OP only posted once
    to provide the link to it's commercial website.

    Mâck©® Type 1 since 1975 alt-support-diabetes.orgalt-support-diabetes.org
    diabetic-talk.orgdiabetic-talk.org insulin-pumpers.orginsulin-pumpers.org

    In tribute to the United States of America and the State of
    Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with
    strife and terrorism.

    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
    President, or that we are to stand by the President
    right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
    but is morally treasonable to the American public."

    ...Theodore Roosevelt

    Have you heard of the NO-CARB Diet for 2004?

    NO C-heney NO A-shcroft NO R-umsfeld NO B-ush

  7. Ozgirl wrote in misc.health.diabetes:

    Quoted message said:

    Diabetics react badly to carbohydrates, nix the pasta and
    you have a better meal.

    I react very normal to carbohydrates. After the take-in, my
    short-acting insulin will take care of them. But not
    everyone is T1 diabetic. I think you mean T2 diabetics on
    meds or on fixed insulin regimes react badly to carbs,
    because it raises their after-dinner BG's too high.

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, and commercial posts are against the charter of almost
    all newsgroups and can result in you having your email
    account pulled.

    Right.

    Quoted message said:

    Have a nice day.

    Spammers don't deserve nice days. They deserve spam
    themselves. Spam for breakfast, spam for lunch and spam for
    dinner. And if they don't eat enough and need in between
    snack: spam. Right.

    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

    --
    CeeBee

    EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck." EMH Mark II: "My
    breath is merely a simulation." EMH Mark I: "So is my neck.
    Stop it anyway."

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:35:19 +1000, Ozgirl ("Ozgirl"😉 writes:

    Ozgirl> Diabetics react badly to carbohydrates, nix the
    Ozgirl> pasta and you have a better meal.

    That's generally true about carbs and pasta, in a very simple-
    minded sort of way, but in my experience, medical
    professionals usually give different advice, saying that
    pasta may be an acceptable food for diabetics. They
    specifically advise against "low carbing" in the sense of
    the controversial diets that are now popular, and specify
    that some amount of complex carbohydrates (which might be
    from pasta) are a necessary part of a healthy diabetic diet.
    Although anyone can easily see that nutrution and diets
    remains a poorly understood area of controversy, nothing is
    really as simple as "You can't eat that!". "No pasta" is
    just as idiotic as the old advice: "Don't eat sugar!".

    Ozgirl> Oh, and commercial posts are against the charter of
    Ozgirl> almost all newsgroups and can result in you having
    Ozgirl> your email account pulled. Have a nice day.

    That depends entirely on the contract that you have with
    your own Internet Service Provider, and nobody else. Only
    your ISP can determine whether you have breached your
    contract by violating the terms of service that you agreed
    to. It has nothing to do with random third parties,
    apparently with mental issues, imagining themselves to be
    some kind of Internet Police and deciding that they will
    interpret a newsgroup's charter, screen other people's
    messages for content, decide who is an appropriate author,
    or try to intimidate people with ridiculous veiled threats
    of getting someone's Internet service cancelled. Such people
    are cranks.

    But then, newsgroups are a pretty poor quality place to get
    reliable information about anything, whether it be about
    diabetes, how the Internet works, or legal advice.

  9. "Ozgirl" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Diabetics react badly to carbohydrates, nix the pasta and
    you have a better meal.

    [censored]! Why not say diabetics ride red unicycles? It would
    just as true.

    SOME diabetics react badly to TOO MUCH carbohydrate, others,
    using meds, consume a fairly normal and accepted amount of
    carbohydrate. Get your facts right.

    Quoted message said:


    Oh, and commercial posts are against the charter of almost
    all newsgroups and can result in you having your email
    account pulled.

    You pompous little pedant!

    Aside from the fact that the charter is a guide only, not
    enforceable, her post was NOT commercial, she asked for
    no money and gave a link to a commercial site that has
    FREE recipes. Where is the commercialism you slow witted
    little prat?

    As for cancelling accounts, you are clueless and dreaming.
    No ISP will pull an account for that, they will just call
    you an idiot and delete your complaint if you bother to send
    it. Learn a little about how things really work. If ISPs
    cancelled accounts because of [censored] like you, within a
    few weeks there would be no usenet left.

    Quoted message said:

    Have a nice day.

    Have a miserable day, you pathetic little netkop.

    smicker

  10. "Alan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    God (any god!) help me if I ever end up in a nursing home
    run by a gerontologist with this level of knowledge of
    Type 2 diabetes.

    <snip>

    My mother in law is in a nursing home. Whenever I bring her
    a present, I try to bring a small present for her room mate
    as well. I ususally bring the room mate candy because I
    know she likes it. Then one day when we were visiting, the
    room mate was eating dinner. A nurse came in and gave her
    an injection in her leg, stating, "Your sugar is a little
    high today!" The room mate is in her 90's and no longer
    converses very well. She had one of her younger relatives
    visiting at the time. I asked the relative if she was
    diabetic. She said "Yes". I then apologized for having
    brought the candy on so many occasions, adding that I too
    was diabetic and would have brought her something else, had
    I known! The relative then told me it was okay because they
    just let her eat whatever she wanted to anyway. That just
    floored me! I could tell there was some sort of attempt
    being made because I did see cans and bottles of diet soda
    there by her bedside each time I visited. But her meals
    didn't seem like what a diabetic should have. She always
    had dessert, and some sort of fruit like applesauce, in
    addition to other starches like bread, rice and pasta.
    Small portions perhaps, but many more carbs on one tray
    that I could ever handle and I'm not a low carber!

    Another time, we wheeled my mother in law into another
    person's room. We'd brought her a package of assorted small
    gifts and she was passing them out to various people. She
    attempted to give some candy to one lady and she shook her
    head, stating that for some reason she wasn't allowed to
    have it. She said they never told her why she couldn't have
    it, just that she couldn't have it!

    I realize that not everyone in that nursing home has all
    their faculties about them, and also that not all nursing
    homes are the same. But it scares me to think that so many
    of the people in there have no clue about their various
    medical conditions. And that includes my mother in law! Last
    time we were there, we insisted she see a Dr. because her
    feet and legs were badly swollen. So swollen that it was
    obvious and they'd been like at our last visit too. We
    mentioned it before and nothing had been done about it.
    Since we live in another state, we don't see her that often.

    On a prior occasion, she nearly choked to death because they
    had given her the wrong food. She has a medical condition
    that causes her to choke easily and all her food must be
    soft or finely minced. This time they had given her a normal
    diet. Luckily, some other relatives found her gasping for
    breath and got her some medical help. The staff didn't even
    seem to notice that anything was wrong!

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

  11. On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:04:24 +1000, "Ozgirl" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Clueless?

    Yes, clueless.

    Quoted message said:

    I've had the pleasure of having more commercial posters
    accounts pulled than you have probably had hot dinners.

    And full of [censored].

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry babe, you picked the wrong person to give your spiel
    to this time.

    I never pick the wrong person, but sometimes they pick me.
    Usenet isn't all that different to real life. You say
    something stupid and someone is likely to come right back
    and point out that fact. You say something stupid about
    carbs and diabetics, and then you make veiled threats to a
    poster who was simply being friendly, bullying and
    insinuating that she could lose her account if you were to
    complain. You are an [censored]. You are a stupid [censored].

    Quoted message said:

    ISP's frown upon customers who spam newsgroups with
    commercial posts. End of story.

    Yes and it would behove you to learn the legal definition of
    spam. There was no spam involved.

    Quoted message said:

    ISP's have more than enough customers without worrying
    about any fallout they may receive from pulling a spammers
    account.

    A genuine spammer's account, yes, an account that some
    stupid [censored] CLAIMS is spam, no way. Once again, learn
    what spam is considered to be in LAW. If my ISP shut me down
    on a complaint that didn't stand up, I would sue the [censored]
    off them, as would many other people. It used to be pretty
    easy to get someone's account pulled, not anymore, not since
    most countries have introduced laws that among other things,
    DEFINE spam. They won't pull an account just because you
    don't like what I post or the manner in which I post it. GET
    USED TO THE IDEA!

    Quoted message said:

    After all the people they spam are their own customers.
    Just because you have survived countless complaints for
    being a usenet *[censored]* doesn't mean your ISP doesn't
    pull accounts for *commercial* spamming.

    If I commercially spammed, they would have to. I said in my
    original post that you would have to [censored] your own ISP
    to get your account pulled. That would be one good way of
    doing it. Don't read posts before making your idiotic
    [censored] responses?

    Quoted message said:

    Apparently being an [censored] doesn't matter too much, but
    commercial posts ... whole different kettle of fish.

    There have been no commercial posts you stupid, stupid
    woman, and you trying to claim there have been just shows
    how clueless you are, and even if there had been commercial
    posts, it does not make them spam.

    Spamming is sending unsolicited email, it has nothing to do
    with content, it has to with the number of copies sent out
    and the fact that they are unsolicited. It does not have to
    be commercial, political, religious, opinion, etc., are spam
    if they meet the criteria.

    When applied to newsgroups, there is no law, but one post,
    containing

    SPAM you mindless twit. It doesn't even breach the newsgroup
    regs, it wasn't commercial, it was a pointer to potentially
    useful FREE recipes on a commercial site.

    If I decided to send these newsgroups five hundred posts per
    day, all with nothing but links to commercial web sites, it
    would not be spam. It would just be me pissing you off. I
    would not be in breach of my TOS as long as each post was
    different and I didn't exceed twenty-five posts per hour.
    Wanna try it and see? I have done it many times. I know
    exactly what I can do and what I can't, which is a damn
    sight more than you know.

    spam generator.

    GET SOME CLUES !!!

    smicker

  12. Alan said:

    On 13 Jun 2004 21:55:56 -0700, [email hidden]

    (Smicker) said:

    I am not a troll, I am someone who can't stand [censored], I
    see no reason to be polite to someone who shows signs of
    stupidity, I see


    no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    reason to pretend to be anything, or to feel anything but
    the truth.


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    can see how that pisses many of you off with the way you
    treat Ted.


    He

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is blunt speaking too.

    This is usenet, and I am a very active part of it.
    Political

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    smicker

    As arrogance and egomania do to acceptable social
    behaviour.

    Did you always have this overwhelming need to be noticed;
    to assert yourself profanely and unsuitably for fear of
    being ignored?

    Nope, I had an overwhelming need to be honest, to avoid
    pretension, to call a spade a spade and to stand up for
    myself and what I believe in. Profanity is a part of modern
    language, even the courts accept it. I live and work among
    people who use this language all the time. Upper class/upper
    middle class. Outrage or indignation at profanity is very
    working class. I come from a working class background. My
    mother is horrified by it, my father swears in the pub,
    wouldn't dream of it at home.

    I find PC fawning to be profane. Forever telling or agreeing
    with someone that everything is ok, that it is not their own
    fault is about as sick and unintelligent as a human can get.
    Most of the time, whatever happens to you or with you IS
    YOUR OWN FAULT. People who can't or won't accept that are
    going nowhere, they are life's losers.

    If you are fat, then with very few exceptions it is your
    fault . Fat people are lazy, or they would do something
    about being fat. I do not believe that any fat person
    chooses to be fat, why the hell do they buy every sucker
    pill and potion to lose weight, while regarding gymnasiums
    much the way the Christians regarded the lions? If there was
    an EASY way, they would all jump on it. They all know there
    is a way that works, exercise, but is not easy, so being
    lazy, they stay fat and miserable. Not being prepared to do
    something just because it takes effort is as good a
    definition of lazy as I can find.

    What I say is true. It is not nice, it is not PC, but it is
    absolutely true and if you dump the PC [censored], unless you
    have an intellectual problem, you have to agree.

    smicker

    virginity.

  13. Julie Bove said:


    "Smicker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sheeez! Don't ANY of you people read posts. I said, very
    plainly,


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my original post on the subject, that you had to [censored]
    your own


    ISP

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to lose an account, not have someone [censored] about pissing
    newsgroup readers off. Breaching your ISP's TOS would of
    course [censored] them


    off. I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have yet to see a TOS that insisted on not offending
    readers of a newsgroup. It would inhibit free speech and
    be in breach of many country's discrimination laws.

    In case you hadn't noticed, there IS no free speech on
    the Internet


    when it

    Quoted message said:

    comes to many ISP's. The one I had in Cape Cod
    routinely closed


    people's

    Quoted message said:

    accounts for putting up websites that they thought were
    questionable.

    We aren't talking about web sites, just newsgroups. Don't
    try to change the subject.

    And

    Quoted message said:

    the issue we were talking about was not "pissing people
    off", but


    commercial

    Quoted message said:

    posts. And that IS one definition of spam. Also a
    violation of most


    TOS,

    Quoted message said:

    and certainly a violation of the charter of this NG.
    If posted


    through

    Quoted message said:

    Google and reported, THEY will close down the account.

    A commercial post isn't necessarily spam, it may be a lot of
    other things, not necessarily spam simply because it is
    commercial. Spam has a clear definition. Don't you thing
    that you learned what it was rather than trying to use it as
    generic term to cover anything you don't like on usenet?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I do not breach my ISP's very few, and very clear TOS
    conditions. I often ignore newsgroup charters. Can you
    understand the difference?


    If

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I post a single message, recommending a commercial
    product on any newsgroup, I am NOT breaching my TOS. In
    fact I would have to place more than 25 per hour, that
    they would consider commercial posting.

    If you ignore the NG charter, then you have only
    yourself to blame


    for any

    Quoted message said:

    repercussions you get because of it.

    There won't be any.

    Quoted message said:

    I see that you are posting through Google.

    Are you absolutely sure? 😉

    Quoted message said:

    You'd be breaching their TOS if you make commerical
    posts. Now if there is a long time poster who has already
    established themself as a diabetic and not a troll or
    spammer, they can likely recommend a


    product

    Quoted message said:

    they've used and will get no flack about it. When a
    first time


    poster comes

    Quoted message said:

    here with a commercial post, they are always suspect.

    So who cares if some twit regards a post as suspect? Not me.

    Quoted message said:


    You have made far more offensive posts than I care to read
    and you're


    coming

    Quoted message said:

    really close to earning a spot in my kill-file.

    Is it a comfortable kill file? Is it airconditioned? Will I
    find friends in there?

    Quoted message said:

    You said in another post that you had your own reasons for
    coming here. As far as I can see,


    those

    Quoted message said:

    reasons have nothing to do with diabetes.

    As far as you can apparently see, reason has little to do
    with it. Type II diabetes is for the most part caused by
    excessive weight. Recognition of responsibility for gaining
    excessive weight has a great deal to do with diabetes.
    Obscuring the facts and denying responsibility is one very
    big factor in people's inability to deal effectively with
    diabetes. Support, of a PC nature, exacerbates the problem
    and although blunt talking might not fix things, it might
    possibly get some fat diabetics to stand in front of a
    mirror and say "Ahhh. THERE's the problem!"

    I am sick of hearing fat women say that they are big boned,
    or that the weight height charts are really totally
    inaccurate, or they have a metabolism problem, they retain
    water, or worst of all, THEY EAT LIKE A BIRD!

    Not unless it was a starving vulture, then maybe they are
    being honest..

    smicker

    virginity.

  14. CeeBee said:

    Ozgirl wrote in misc.health.diabetes:

    Quoted message said:

    Diabetics react badly to carbohydrates, nix the pasta and
    you have a better meal.

    I react very normal to carbohydrates. After the take-in,


    my

    Quoted message said:

    short-acting insulin will take care of them. But not


    everyone is T1

    Quoted message said:

    diabetic. I think you mean T2 diabetics on meds or on


    fixed insulin

    Quoted message said:

    regimes react badly to carbs, because it raises their


    after-dinner

    Quoted message said:

    BG's too high.

    Yes

  15. Christopher C. Stacy said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:35:19 +1000, Ozgirl


    ('Ozgirl') said:


    Ozgirl> Diabetics react badly to carbohydrates, nix the
    Ozgirl> pasta and you have a better meal.

    That's generally true about carbs and pasta, in a very


    simple-minded

    Quoted message said:

    sort of way, but in my experience, medical professionals


    usually give

    Quoted message said:

    different advice, saying that pasta may be an acceptable


    food for

    Quoted message said:

    diabetics. They specifically advise against "low carbing"


    in the

    Quoted message said:

    sense of the controversial diets that are now popular, and


    specify

    Quoted message said:

    that some amount of complex carbohydrates (which might be


    from pasta)

    Quoted message said:

    are a necessary part of a healthy diabetic diet. Although


    anyone can

    Quoted message said:

    easily see that nutrution and diets remains a poorly


    understood area

    Quoted message said:

    of controversy, nothing is really as simple as "You can't


    eat that!".

    Quoted message said:

    "No pasta" is just as idiotic as the old advice: "Don't


    eat sugar!".

    Whatever.

    Quoted message said:

    But then, newsgroups are a pretty poor quality place to


    get

    Quoted message said:

    reliable information about anything, whether it be about


    diabetes,

    Quoted message said:

    how the Internet works, or legal advice.

    Again, whatever.

  16. well Mr Know it all...... what are you here for then???

    obviously a newsgroups charter is a new concept for you??
    the charter of this newsgroup specifically bans commercial
    messages here

    and your response is????????

    all ears kate

    "Christopher C. Stacy" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That's generally true about carbs and pasta, in a very simple-
    minded sort of way, but in my experience, medical
    professionals usually give different advice, saying that
    pasta may be an acceptable food for diabetics. They
    specifically advise against "low carbing" in the sense of
    the controversial diets that are now popular, and specify
    that some amount of complex carbohydrates (which might be
    from pasta) are a necessary part of a healthy diabetic
    diet. Although anyone can easily see that nutrution and
    diets remains a poorly understood area of controversy,
    nothing is really as simple as "You can't eat that!". "No
    pasta" is just as idiotic as the old advice: "Don't eat
    sugar!".

    Quoted message said:

    That depends entirely on the contract that you have with
    your own Internet Service Provider, and nobody else. Only
    your ISP can determine whether you have breached your
    contract by violating the terms of service that you agreed
    to. It has nothing to do with random third parties,
    apparently with mental issues, imagining themselves to be
    some kind of Internet Police and deciding that they will
    interpret a newsgroup's charter, screen other people's
    messages for content, decide who is an appropriate author,
    or try to intimidate people with ridiculous veiled threats
    of getting someone's Internet service cancelled. Such
    people are cranks.

    But then, newsgroups are a pretty poor quality place to
    get reliable information about anything, whether it be
    about diabetes, how the Internet works, or legal advice.

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    CeeBee said:

    Ozgirl wrote in misc.health.diabetes:

    Quoted message said:

    Diabetics react badly to carbohydrates, nix the pasta
    and you have a better meal.

    I react very normal to carbohydrates.

    Really? Without injecting insulin you process carbohydrates
    like a non-diabetic?

    Quoted message said:

    After the take-in, my short-acting insulin will take care
    of them. But not everyone is T1 diabetic. I think you mean
    T2 diabetics on meds or on fixed insulin regimes react
    badly to carbs, because it raises their after-dinner BG's
    too high.

    It is the nature of diabetes that diabetics do not process
    carbohydrates like non-diabetics. T1s and T2s have different
    aspects of their diseases to consider and different
    treatment options to choose from, but neither of us
    processess carbohydrates "normally" without choosing one of
    those treatment options.

    Priscilla

    --
    "This religion [Christianity] isn't for sissies." - my
    friend Jane

    "Being in the church is sometimes like doing the Bunny Hop."
    - my same friend Jane

  18. Christopher C. Stacy wrote:

    but in my experience, medical professionals usually give

    Quoted message said:

    different advice, saying that pasta may be an acceptable


    food for

    Quoted message said:

    diabetics. They specifically advise against "low carbing"


    in the

    Quoted message said:

    sense of the controversial diets that are now popular, and


    specify

    Quoted message said:

    that some amount of complex carbohydrates (which might be


    from pasta)

    Quoted message said:

    are a necessary part of a healthy diabetic diet.

    Actually, why do you think that? Because you were told it
    was so? What on earth is good in white, sludgy pasta. Does
    it help your bowels to work? Is it packed with vitamins and
    minerals and other necessary nutrients? What exactly about
    pasta do you personally believe is good? Pasta is a complex
    carb? A suitable diet for a diabetic, one that will allow
    excellent bg control AND provide every nutrient you need for
    good health CAN be created WITHOUT pasta, rice and any other
    high starch food you can name. It's a matter of researching
    what a body needs and adapting a diet around that knowledge.
    Professional dietitians don't seem to be able to do that.

    What constitutes healthy? To me it is something that
    provides everything we need re good health (plenty of
    "recommended daily allowances of nutrients" charts
    around), including bg control, bp control, the right kind
    of fibre for keeping the bowels moving 2-3 times a day
    minimum (and soft), is heart healthy (according to the
    current cholesterol and lipids charts for diabetics - you
    did know a diabetic needs to have lower lipids/chol than
    the rest of the population, ditto bp?) and keeps weight at
    a healthy level. I wouldn't trust any dietitician as far
    as I could throw them with providing me with the right
    diet for my needs.

  19. Julie Bove said:

    "Alan" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    God (any god!) help me if I ever end up in a nursing home
    run by a gerontologist with this level of knowledge of
    Type 2 diabetes.

    <snip>

    My mother in law is in a nursing home.

    scary story snipped>

    We look after my 93 yo f-i-l. That's one reason we still do.
    I hope I go peacefully the night before they come to take me
    to the home.

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
    carbs to email.
    --
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

  20. Smicker said:

    As for cancelling accounts, you are clueless and dreaming.


    No ISP will

    Quoted message said:

    pull an account for that, they will just call you an idiot


    and delete

    Quoted message said:

    your complaint if you bother to send it. Learn a little


    about how

    Quoted message said:

    things really work. If ISPs cancelled accounts because of


    [censored]

    Quoted message said:

    like you, within a few weeks there would be no usenet


    left.

    Clueless? I've had the pleasure of having more commercial
    posters accounts pulled than you have probably had hot
    dinners. Sorry babe, you picked the wrong person to give
    your spiel to this time. ISP's frown upon customers who spam
    newsgroups with commercial posts. End of story. ISP's have
    more than enough customers without worrying about any
    fallout they may receive from pulling a spammers account.
    After all the people they spam are their own customers. Just
    because you have survived countless complaints for being a
    usenet *[censored]* doesn't mean your ISP doesn't pull
    accounts for *commercial* spamming. Apparently being an
    [censored] doesn't matter too much, but commercial posts ...
    whole different kettle of fish.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.