Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

suggestion on seatpost

Started by gregclimbs · · Last activity · 8 posts · 275 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 December 2005
Last activity
4 December 2005
Original author
gregclimbs
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
275
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
    saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

    and ideas?

    I have a thomson that is pretty low, but is there another with less
    (short of a custom ax-lightness)...

    ?

    tia,

    g

  2. gregclimbs said:

    I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
    saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

    and ideas?

    Use a traditional "pipe type" post with separate clamp, and install the
    clamp upside down.

    Sheldon "Clearance" Brown
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. |
    | No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they |
    | have been married a quarter of a century. --Mark Twain |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. Sheldon Brown said:
    gregclimbs said:

    I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
    saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

    and ideas?

    Use a traditional "pipe type" post with separate clamp, and install the
    clamp upside down.

    Sheldon "Clearance" Brown

    If you want something more elegant than the post Sheldon suggests, you
    can *look* for an old (80's) SR model, or the Simplex post it was copied
    from, that holds the post just as low. I've been using one for years on
    the rear of my tandem, I can take the rails down to brushing against the
    top of the seat tube.

    The Simplexes show up periodically on Ebay but in a 26.? size usually.
    Haven't seen one of the SR's in years; I *think* the model was called
    "P3" but I'm not sure.

    Mark

  4. gregclimbs said:

    I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

    Are you talking about vertical distance or horizontal (set back)? If
    horizontal, Thomson has a zero set back model. I can't visualize why
    you would need less vertical distance since there's always a couple of
    inches of seat post exposed. Also note that the distance from the
    rails to the saddle top varies (sometimes significantly) from one
    saddle to another.

    Art Harris

  5. gregclimbs said:

    I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
    saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

    and ideas?

    I have a thomson that is pretty low, but is there another with less
    (short of a custom ax-lightness)...

    ?

    tia,

    g

    Similar to Sheldon's idea: I've used a Bontrager Race Lite with the
    clamps turned upside down. Click on "View Larger" and imagine the rails
    passing across the lower part of the circle:
    http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Components/Seatposts/22088.php

  6. the offset is fine... the VERTICAL distance is what I am concerned
    about...

    this is for a tt bike with a full seatmast (seattube goes up to almost
    the bottom of the saddle...

    I would like to keep the mast as long as possible (and keep the
    seatpost as buried as possible...

    hence the question...

    I don't think I can get much lower than the thompson...

  7. gregclimbs said:


    I need a seatpost with the smallest distance from the center of the
    saddle rails to the purely round portion of the post...

    How about an old fashioned round-post with separate clamp combo? That gets
    your saddle rails exactly even with the top of your seattube if you want
    it. Adjustability in tilt is less, though.

    Jasper

  8. Sheldon Brown said:

    Use a traditional "pipe type" post with separate clamp, and install the
    clamp upside down.

    Are those supposed to have the rails above the clamp bolt? I always see
    them installed and sold with the clamp above the saddle rails. Well,
    except for the Brookses which have the rails going right through the
    middle of the clamp.

    Jasper

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.