Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Sugino GP crankset - help please

Started by arcascomp · · Last activity · 7 posts · 4,430 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 August 2003
Last activity
18 August 2003
Original author
arcascomp
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,430
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    I'm a bit of a newbie on cycling repair etc, so please bear with me

    I'm building up a commuting hack from an old road frame and I'm looking for a little advice on bottom bracket size to go with a Sugino GP triple crank (or chain) set.

    I picked up this set cheaply from a mate, but it doesn't have any guide for BB sizes in a standard frame. The old BB was a shimano 68 x 113mm coupled to a Sora triple chainset (missing by the time I got the frame). Does anyone out there know the recommended width of bracket for this set?

    Thanks in advance

    Arcascomp.

  2. Just install the chainset on the existing bottom bracket and see if it works. If the bottom bracket
    is too narrow, then the inner chainring will rub the frame. If that is the case, you'll need a wider
    bottom bracket. otherwise, use the existing bottom bracket.

    Andres

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I'm a bit of a newbie on cycling repair etc, so please bear with me

    I'm building up a commuting hack from an old road frame and I'm looking for a little advice on
    bottom bracket size to go with a Sugino GP triple crank (or chain) set.

    I picked up this set cheaply from a mate, but it doesn't have any guide for BB sizes in a standard
    frame. The old BB was a shimano 68 x 113mm coupled to a Sora triple chainset (missing by the time I
    got the frame). Does anyone out there know the recommended width of bracket for this set?

    Thanks in advance

    Arcascomp.

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com cyclingforums.comcyclingforums.com

  3. Arcascomp:

    I use Sugino GT double and triple cranks on my rain bikes. Nice units. You can construct 34-40-52
    tooth triple chainrings setups with the doubles by using long chainring bolts and spacers.

    On the GT doubles I need a 120mm bottom bracket spindle. On the triples:
    125mm. Shimano taper of course.

    "arcascomp" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I'm a bit of a newbie on cycling repair etc, so please bear with me

    I'm building up a commuting hack from an old road frame and I'm looking for a little advice on
    bottom bracket size to go with a Sugino GP triple crank (or chain) set.

    I picked up this set cheaply from a mate, but it doesn't have any guide for BB sizes in a standard
    frame. The old BB was a shimano 68 x 113mm coupled to a Sora triple chainset (missing by the time
    I got the frame). Does anyone out there know the recommended width of bracket for this set?

    Thanks in advance

    Arcascomp.

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com cyclingforums.comcyclingforums.com

  4. Thanks for the replies.

    I got impatient and wanted to get the ol gal going so I nipped down to the Halfords Bike Hut (LBS) and grabbed a 118mm shimano. I offered it up and it seemed to be a bit too small. I assumed that when I fitted it properly that the crank would be even further in.

    I took it back and exchanged it for a 122mm and that definitely has clearance, prehaps too much now! Looking at how far the crank went on with the bolts, I'm now wondering if the 118mm wasn't a better bet! Maybe I should give a 120mm a shot. 🙂

    I'll have to do something as the Sora front derailer/changers won't go quite far enough by a mm or so.

    As a parting shot, anyone got a spare shimano hex nut that secures the rear derailer cable in place? mine is missing!

    Thanx

  5. (AndresMuro) said:

    Just install the chainset on the existing bottom bracket and see if it works. If the bottom bracket
    is too narrow, then the inner chainring will rub the frame. If that is the case, you'll need a
    wider bottom bracket. otherwise, use the existing bottom bracket.

    113 is not the size for a Sugino GP triple. It is most likely 118. There is a small chance
    it is 122.

    Use a bb that puts the center ring 45 mm from the centerline of the frame.

  6. Dave Mayer said:

    On the GT doubles I need a 120mm bottom bracket spindle

    Funny, my Sugino double uses a 113 to get the inner ring at 41 mm from the centerline of the frame.

  7. arcascomp said:

    I took it back and exchanged it for a 122mm and that definitely has clearance, prehaps too much
    now! Looking at how far the crank went on with the bolts, I'm now wondering if the 118mm wasn't a
    better bet! Maybe I should give a 120mm a shot. 🙂

    Put a 1 mm freewheel spacer between the drive side cup and frame of the 118.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.