General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Supermarket Courtesy MY OPPOSITE VIEW

Started by nancree · · Last activity · 7 posts · 200 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 February 2006
Last activity
13 February 2006
Original author
nancree
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
200
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).
    I approached the check-out with a full cart--45 !! items. I hadn't
    been shopping for 2 weeks. I wasn't feeling well, and looked like it--I
    was wearing a cervical neck brace. It was 8:30 PM. I was tired. I'm
    sure she was, too. I was thinking of the unloading job when I got home.
    The clerk took one look at me and came around the counter and unloaded
    ALL of my 45 items onto the counter. Then she went back around the
    counter and entered each item and bagged each one, and loaded them into
    the cart. She then, without asking, took the cart outside for me and
    loaded each of the items into my car. I was so grateful. I hadn't
    gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
    Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
    number on my receipt. A few weeks later I got a phone call, and the
    clerk (Maria, she said) thanked me. I don't know what they did for her,
    but she was very happy about it. Now, when I go in that store, I often
    hear her voice ring out a happy hello.

    When you get aggravated with the cheery clerks, --well, would you trade
    places ??

    Cheers, Nancree

  2. nancree said:

    Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).
    [snip] I was so grateful. I hadn't
    gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
    Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
    number on my receipt. [snip]

    Good for her, and good for you! Clever to realize the receipt number
    would be traceable to her. I am one who complains to management now
    and then, so I also feel obliged to offer thanks and compliments for
    'above and beyond' work. -aem

  3. nancree said:

    Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).
    I approached the check-out with a full cart--45 !! items. I hadn't
    been shopping for 2 weeks. I wasn't feeling well, and looked like it--I
    was wearing a cervical neck brace. It was 8:30 PM. I was tired. I'm
    sure she was, too. I was thinking of the unloading job when I got home.
    The clerk took one look at me and came around the counter and unloaded
    ALL of my 45 items onto the counter. Then she went back around the
    counter and entered each item and bagged each one, and loaded them into
    the cart. She then, without asking, took the cart outside for me and
    loaded each of the items into my car. I was so grateful. I hadn't
    gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
    Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
    number on my receipt. A few weeks later I got a phone call, and the
    clerk (Maria, she said) thanked me. I don't know what they did for her,
    but she was very happy about it. Now, when I go in that store, I often
    hear her voice ring out a happy hello.

    When you get aggravated with the cheery clerks, --well, would you trade
    places ??

    Cheers, Nancree


    What a lovely story!

    I've been following all this [censored] about supermarket staff from a
    safe distance, and really I have had trouble working out what all the
    fuss is about.

    The funny thing is that when the checkout chick says "Have a nice one!"
    or something similar and you're feeling grumpy, you mutter imprecations
    about the country being taken over by bloody stupid American behaviour,
    and here we have the Americans themselves complaining about it.

    Christine

  4. "nancree" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).


    snip
    I was so grateful. I hadn't

    Quoted message said:

    gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
    Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
    number on my receipt. A few weeks later I got a phone call, and the
    clerk (Maria, she said) thanked me.


    snip

    Quoted message said:

    Cheers, Nancree


    Good for you. I know that you made her day. Truth be told, I bet we are
    all envious of Maria. Acknowledgement of the work we do is in such short
    supply. We'd all be much happier campers if someone really noticed the work
    we do and told us it was appreciated.
    Janet

  5. nancree said:

    Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).
    I approached the check-out with a full cart--45 !! items. I hadn't
    been shopping for 2 weeks. I wasn't feeling well, and looked like it--I
    was wearing a cervical neck brace. It was 8:30 PM. I was tired. I'm
    sure she was, too. I was thinking of the unloading job when I got home.
    The clerk took one look at me and came around the counter and unloaded
    ALL of my 45 items onto the counter. Then she went back around the
    counter and entered each item and bagged each one, and loaded them into
    the cart. She then, without asking, took the cart outside for me and
    loaded each of the items into my car.

    If that was my local Albertson's, the checkout would have come to
    s standstill as they only ever have one checker on duty (who is
    also the bagger).

    -sw

  6. On 12 Feb 2006 13:21:13 -0800, "aem" <[email hidden]> connected
    the dots and wrote:

    ~
    ~nancree wrote:
    ~> Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out
    (Albertson's).
    ~>[snip] I was so grateful. I hadn't
    ~> gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
    ~> Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
    ~> number on my receipt. [snip]
    ~
    ~Good for her, and good for you! Clever to realize the receipt number
    ~would be traceable to her. I am one who complains to management now
    ~and then, so I also feel obliged to offer thanks and compliments for
    ~'above and beyond' work. -aem

    Around here, the clerk's name is on the receipt, since they have to
    log into the register when they start. Of course, when there are six
    Ashleys and 4 Michaels, it's good to have the receipt number to go by.

    that lady deserved every good thing that the store did for her, and
    probably more. Thanks for saying something.

    maxine in ri

  7. nancree said:

    Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out .. <snipped>

    Good for you! Sometimes a simple "thank-you" goes a long way.

    Our local supermarket has a very nice "perk"... if you spend more than
    "$XX" you get a free cake. As I shop there once a week, this is not
    difficult... today we got a really nice "home-baked" coffee cake - Yum!

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.