Supporting the LBS

Dave W

Guest
Or, "how the hell can that cost so much?"

The guys at my LBS are excellent people. Great wrenches, quality work but
jeez...

$50.00 for a Shimano Deore rear hub body...
$1.80 for loose ball bearings
$30.00 for the overhaul...

These guys are the closest shop around, and their shop prices are in line
with others, but damn, $85.00 bucks!!
seems a bit pricey to me.

But then again, they had me back up and running in less than 30 mins, can't
think of any mail order company that could get that done....

As costly as it was, I still didn't mind paying it...

Oh well, they gotta make a living too...Thanks again (for what seems like
the umpteenth time they've hooked me up, to Bicycles Unlimited in PTC GA.
You guys still rock!!

Dave (no more gravel in the rear)

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Or, "how the hell can that cost so much?"
|
| The guys at my LBS are excellent people. Great wrenches, quality work but
| jeez...
|
| $50.00 for a Shimano Deore rear hub body...

Here is where they got you. According to Bike-A-Log (a wholesale bike
industry database) the average price for a Shimano Deore hub body is $26.00.
Maybe they upgraded you to an M750 Deore XT body. Check the receipt. We
stock exactly those two for MTB hubs, using the Deore for lower priced hubs
and the XT for anything Deore or better (XT is $45)

| $1.80 for loose ball bearings

Just right. Shimano hubs use 9 balls in each cup.

| $30.00 for the overhaul...

Again just right for a shop charging $60 an hour. Hub overhaul is listed as
a half-hour job. If I wasn't changing the Freehub Body I'd most likely
charge $18 to repack a hub since it usually takes me about 10-15 minutes to
do.

So, it looks like unless they used exactly a Deore (M510) body they're doing
you right. It they did use that body they got almost double the going rate.