rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Surly Frame MUni at UDC

Started by noibs · · Last activity · 27 posts · 695 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
19 February 2007
Last activity
21 February 2007
Original author
noibs
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
695
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. There's a new MUni at UDC featuring the Surly frame.

    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1005

    What do you think it weighs?

    --
    noibs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    noibs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14274
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  2. Why on earth do they sell it with a KH rim? The whole point of the frame
    is that it can fit the large marge rim and endomorph tyre. Presumably
    the brake won't reach the rim as the mounts are setup for the LM, do
    they use adaptors or somethign?

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  3. wtf?

    they are selling a great muni, but are ruining it, because it doesn't
    have a good distance seat (imo), doesn't have the good rim which is the
    only reason the frame exists in the first place, and is overpriced
    because they got a wheelbuild from that kovachi guy.

    --
    mornish

    aim:kiloornish
    email: mornish AT gmail DOT com

    muniaddict said:

    does he have me confused with somebody who's actually good?

    Brian MacKenzie said:

    you're gonna need a flux capacitor and a shot of plutonium


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mornish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11658
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  4. To all you Surly people - since the frame is $260 retail, what does a
    good Conundrum-framed uni cost to build from scratch w/LM rim and other
    components of general creamy goodness?

    Seems like $995 is pretty steep without the brake, no? Does anyone
    think it's twice as good as a plain-jane KH24?

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

    Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
    (http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  5. Sounds like another rip off from UDC.USA

    --
    Danni

    leo said:

    Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

    '*Ha Ha haaaaa*' (

    )'!'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54347)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  6. There's not a 24" Endomorph tyre yet, right? Maybe that's why they're
    putting the KH wheelset on - and the frame is then ready to upgrade
    when it becomes available...

    Doesn't explain why they didn't put a LM rim on though... Maybe they
    have trouble getting hold of them, or think it's unnecessarily wide for
    the 24x3 tyre, or something...

    Maybe someone should ask them?

    --
    mark williamson

    Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
    pedals!
    Mark: To answer a question with a question: What use is a skateboard?
    Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
    Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  7. steveyo said:

    To all you Surly people - since the frame is $260 retail, what does a
    good Conundrum-framed uni cost to build from scratch w/LM rim and other
    components of general creamy goodness?

    Seems like $995 is pretty steep without the brake, no? Does anyone
    think it's twice as good as a plain-jane KH24?

    it's about $795 without brake and with a thompson seatpost. moment
    cranks and such.

    edit: that's without assembly and shipping costs.

    --
    zfreak220

    iridemymuni said:

    i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a [censored]

    howdigetsogood said:

    man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57071), oh wait
    nevermind i still do.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  8. They charge you $200US for a kovachi wheel build?

    --
    Danni

    leo said:

    Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

    '*Ha Ha haaaaa*' (

    )'!'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54347)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  9. and they don't give you a large marge wheel or endomorph tire.

    --
    zfreak220

    iridemymuni said:

    i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a [censored]

    howdigetsogood said:

    man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57071), oh wait
    nevermind i still do.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  10. The pic looks nice with the *proper* stuff *that it was made for*. I
    guess they're over their "Charity money limit" (the excuse they made
    when I was *about* to get around $1000 of stuff and wouldn't give a
    penny free).

    --
    Danni

    leo said:

    Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

    '*Ha Ha haaaaa*' (

    )'!'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54347)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  11. I'm really not seeing where the money is going on this unicycle. I mean
    for that price the thing better have a motor to get you up the hills!

    --
    gordito8me

    29er or 36er? can't decide
    either way I have like 54 bucks so nothing too great.
    radial 360 or nimbus 29er????
    helllpppp!!!!
    helllpppp!!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gordito8me's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13641
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  12. mornish said:

    wtf?

    they are selling a great muni, but are ruining it, because it doesn't
    have a good distance seat (imo), doesn't have the good rim which is the
    only reason the frame exists in the first place, and is overpriced
    because they got a wheelbuild from that kovachi guy.

    btw I really like the seat for distance. I don't know about you guys
    but slap on a pair of bike shorts and that thing is really nice.

    --
    gordito8me

    29er or 36er? can't decide
    either way I have like 54 bucks so nothing too great.
    radial 360 or nimbus 29er????
    helllpppp!!!!
    helllpppp!!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gordito8me's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13641
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  13. Another huge rip-off is their Magura breaks:
    At the trialsinshop.ca, I got a front set (short enough that I did have
    to cut it and rebleed it) was $140 CAD, not a whopping $179US

    --
    Danni

    leo said:

    Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

    '*Ha Ha haaaaa*' (

    )'!'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54347)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  14. well you choose, you just leave your seat preference in that little
    comment box when ordering. so you can get either the street or muni
    seat.

    --
    zfreak220

    iridemymuni said:

    i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a [censored]

    howdigetsogood said:

    man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57071), oh wait
    nevermind i still do.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  15. Also, notice that it DOES come with the Large Marge rim (I went to UDC
    today and looked at it). As zfreak220 said, you can chose the freeride
    if you want it. It has a Profile Hub/Crankset. So if you add it up,
    you have a near $300 frame, a $300 hub/crankset PROFESSIONALLY (not
    machine built) built by one of the best and most trusted wheel builders
    in the industry to a not so cheap rim. Another thing is they aren't
    ordering these in bulk because they are so expensive, raising their
    cost on the item.

    So Danni, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't come on here
    bashing UDC because you think they are ripping folks off before adding
    up the costs they themselves are having to buy the parts for and the
    labor involved with ordering specific parts and putting it all
    together. I mean, cmon dude, they have the best customer service most
    people have ever experienced. They aren't in business to rip anyone
    off, they are there to spread unicycling. *Steps off soap box*

    Eitherway, that uni is freakin' awesome. If anyone is looking for a
    freeride MUni....here it is.

    --
    uniredneck

    "It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling
    woman in a wide house." - Proverbs 21:9

    "I believe in God like I believe in the sun rise. Not because I can see
    it, but because I can see all that it touches." - C.S. Lewis
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    uniredneck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13931
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  16. uniredneck said:

    Also, notice that it DOES come with the Large Marge rim (I went to UDC
    today and looked at it). As zfreak220 said, you can chose the freeride
    if you want it. It has a Profile Hub/Crankset. So if you add it up,
    you have a near $300 frame, a $300 hub/crankset PROFESSIONALLY (not
    machine built) built by one of the best and most trusted wheel builders
    in the industry to a not so cheap rim. Another thing is they aren't
    ordering these in bulk because they are so expensive, raising their
    cost on the item.

    Except it doesn't come with a Large Marge rim if you read the text,
    which is what everyone is moaning about. It comes with a narrower rim,
    with a pointless wide frame setup, which is probably significantly
    heavier, with a heavy old technology hub (unless you get the version
    with the newer KH Moment hub, it says Kh Moment hub when it's available
    which I guess is now)

    It's made by surly, so I guess it has pimp points, but other than that,
    you're just not getting such a well thought out package as the KH
    setup. This is just pimp for pimps sake

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  17. uniredneck said:

    So if you add it up, you have a near $300 frame, a $300 hub/crankset
    PROFESSIONALLY (not machine built) built by one of the best and most
    trusted wheel builders in the industry to a not so cheap rim.

    Gee, I wouldn't have expected one of the best and most trusted wheel
    builders in the industry to *completely mis-lace one of my spokes*.
    (Didn't cross it over at all). I don't see how it's even possible to
    send out a wheel like that unless the spoke tension was never tested.
    The wheel is probably better than machine-built, but that's not saying
    much.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  18. About the rim, I'm telling you, The text is wrong for the current setup.
    It happens sometimes that an item is listed wrong, but it is currently
    built with the Surly rim. I'll ask them if they are going to build the
    future Surly's with a KH rim though.

    I'm sorry you had an issue with your wheel tholub, but you have to keep
    in mind John Kovoachi builds wheels not only for UDC but for many shops
    in the Southeast not to mention custom orders from elsewhere on his
    website. He is human and made a mistake it seems. Even Lance's
    mechanic strips a bolt here and there.

    --
    uniredneck

    "It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling
    woman in a wide house." - Proverbs 21:9

    "I believe in God like I believe in the sun rise. Not because I can see
    it, but because I can see all that it touches." - C.S. Lewis
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    uniredneck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13931
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  19. uniredneck said:


    I'm sorry you had an issue with your wheel tholub, but you have to keep
    in mind John Kovoachi builds wheels not only for UDC but for many shops
    in the Southeast not to mention custom orders from elsewhere on his
    website. He is human and made a mistake it seems. Even Lance's
    mechanic strips a bolt here and there.

    I understand making a mistake. I've mis-laced a wheel before. In
    fact, I've made the same lacing error before, failing to cross over a
    spoke.

    What I don't understand is how a serious wheelbuilder can fail to catch
    that error while tensioning the wheel. A spoke that's not crossed over
    behaves totally differently than a spoke that is, both in terms of its
    tone and tension and in terms of its affect on wheel trueness.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

  20. I donno man, I'm sorry that it happened. Maybe it was the end of the
    day or something and he was tired. Did everthing get worked out in the
    end?

    --
    uniredneck

    "It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling
    woman in a wide house." - Proverbs 21:9

    "I believe in God like I believe in the sun rise. Not because I can see
    it, but because I can see all that it touches." - C.S. Lewis
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    uniredneck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13931
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58209

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.