Survey: Cheapest place to buy parts

"DIGTRI" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have pretty good luck checking pricing via www.qbike.com and then
getting
> Performance Bike to price match. Performance periodically has 20% off coupons off $75 or greater
> purchases showing up in magazines(last month it was in Outside magazine). The 20% off coupon can
> be used on top of the
price
> match and then if you're a member of their Team Performance Club, you get 10% credit to use on
> your next purchase & 2nd day shipping for standard shipping price. If you're not happy with your
> purchase, they are quick to refund(even if it has been months since your purchase).

My local Performance won't apply discount coupons to price matches (nor do I expect them to), and
won't price match Jenson (I think that's who) because they sell a lot of OEM parts instead of
retail versions. (I haven't ever had one of the coupons described above, however, so haven't read
the fine print.)

One thing that ticked me off recently was when they wouldn't honor their own Team Performance Member
10% off offer on any Primal Wear jersey. The jerseys were on sale for a good price, but the coupon
was worded "take an additional 10% off" so I think they should have done exactly that. The kid clerk
said it would be "combining offers"; the $4 or so wasn't worth kicking about, so I just bought the
jersey and shook my head a bit. (It was a roadie jersey, so I didn't want to draw any extra
attention to myself lest an MTB-er I knew noticed me -- sort of like an AA member getting busted
buying booze!)

Rare Roadie Primal Wear Frocked Bill

Check out Qbike.com, they list about 10 different online sellers and compare prices for TONS of
parts. When you find it cheap, Performance will price match any price AND give a lifetime warrenty.
news:[email protected]...

"Todd Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:W2kYa.40311$Ne.33045@fed1read03...
> Check out Qbike.com, they list about 10 different online sellers and
compare
> prices for TONS of parts. When you find it cheap, Performance will price match any price AND give
> a lifetime warrenty. Toad

That's a bit of a leap, there, Toad! Where's this secret lifetime warranty on everything
Performance sells?

Bill "gotta lotta stuff to return tomorrow" S.

If you become a regular customer, bring in some friends, etc... A good LBS may end up being only a
few bucks more, but a better _value_.

Ask Jenson's operator how to size a chain. Also, make sure to stock a bunch of tubes, chain pins,
and other small, cheap parts at home, because if you no longer have an LBS, it's going to be awfully
expensive to get one for tom morrow's ride. <G>

Let's not forget that you'll also have to order clothing in shoes in several sizes, and send back
the ones that don't fit.

Sometimes CHEAPEST is not equal to BEST VALUE.

That said, if you don't have a good LBS, or still don't understand, many people have provided links
to some decent online retailers.

Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If you become a regular customer, bring in some friends, etc... A good LBS may end up being only a
> few bucks more, but a better _value_.
>
> Ask Jenson's operator how to size a chain. Also, make sure to stock a bunch of tubes, chain pins,
> and other small, cheap parts at home, because if you no longer have an LBS, it's going to be
> awfully expensive to get one for tom morrow's ride. <G>
>
> Let's not forget that you'll also have to order clothing in shoes in several sizes, and send back
> the ones that don't fit.
>
> Sometimes CHEAPEST is not equal to BEST VALUE.
>
> That said, if you don't have a good LBS, or still don't understand, many people have provided
> links to some decent online retailers.

I get your point.

lunatic fringe <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ebay

My LBS - I get 15% disc. right off the bat (club membership thang), and he tends to knock a lot more
off whenever he can (I spent so much there on bits and pieces over the years, prolly around £3,000
past 2-3 years).

E.g. - XT rear mech, everywhere local (incl 'my' shop) ~£50, - 15% = £42.5, I got it for £35, no
shipping, near instant warranty (should I need it), and the guy is kept sweet for my next
purchase ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - He also lets me just walk with what I need if I'm broke - "pay whenever" - you don't get
that web-side.