rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Swap 24x3 for 26x3.0

Started by mazem · · Last activity · 6 posts · 480 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
26 October 2004
Last activity
27 October 2004
Original author
mazem
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
480
Views / 30 days
7
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've had a 26x3.0 muni for about 5 months, and ive found even though its
    very fast on rough terrain and good for commuting, its somewhat hard to
    do technical sections I can't roll or natural trials just because the
    wheel is so big and I'm only 5'8". Plus, as I've gotten better I've been
    moving away from straight speed and commuting and more towards technical
    stuff.

    So anyways I've got 2 questions:
    (1) Will switching from a 26x3.0 wheelset to a 24x3.0 wheelset make it
    significantly easier to do technical stuff and natural trials? (is it
    worth switching or are 26 and 24 basically the same)

    (2) Is anyone (who wants a bigger wheel) willing to trade me their
    24x3.0 for my 26x3.0?
    Ie:
    I give you:
    -Gazz 26x3.0
    -26" Alex dx32 rim
    -spokes cut for connecting alex 26" rim to KH hub

    You give me:
    -Gazz 24x3.0
    -24" Alex dx32 rim
    -spokes cut for connecting alex 24" rim to KH hub

    Thanks

    --
    mazem - Department of Redundancy Dept.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mazem's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6620
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35873

  2. mazem said:

    *I've had a 26x3.0 muni for about 5 months, and ive found even though
    its very fast on rough terrain and good for commuting, its somewhat
    hard to do technical sections I can't roll or natural trials just
    because the wheel is so big and I'm only 5'8". Plus, as I've gotten
    better I've been moving away from straight speed and commuting and
    more towards technical stuff.

    So anyways I've got 2 questions:
    (1) Will switching from a 26x3.0 wheelset to a 24x3.0 wheelset make it
    significantly easier to do technical stuff and natural trials? (is it
    worth switching or are 26 and 24 basically the same)

    (2) Is anyone (who wants a bigger wheel) willing to trade me their
    24x3.0 for my 26x3.0?
    Ie:
    I give you:
    -Gazz 26x3.0
    -26" Alex dx32 rim
    -spokes cut for connecting alex 26" rim to KH hub

    You give me:
    -Gazz 24x3.0
    -24" Alex dx32 rim
    -spokes cut for connecting alex 24" rim to KH hub

    *

    A 24x3 will make it easier to do natural trials, it's a fair bit smaller
    than the 26x3.

    Alternatively as an easier option, you might want to investigate other
    lighter 26" tyres, like 26x2.6" gazz, or non Gazz wide tyres, the gazz
    3.0 is really heavy.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35873

  3. just a thought, but if you want to swap spokes for a 26" and kh hub, for
    spokes for a 24" and a kh hub, surely it would save 2 wheel
    dismantlements and 2 builds, to just swap kh hubs aswell?

    makes sense to me.

    Mark

    --
    manic_mark - level 4!

    lever (dot) mark (at) ntlworld (dot) com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    manic_mark's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1592
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35873

  4. I am really attached to the 3.0 gazz, and don't really want to change to
    a thinner tire... Its so bouncy!

    Also, Mark thanks for the idea. I guess just exchanging the whole
    wheelset minus the cranks would be easier than taking everything apart
    and building it again.

    --
    mazem - Department of Redundancy Dept.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mazem's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6620
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35873

  5. It sounds to me like your problem is rooted in weight. The biggest
    differance between the 24" and 26" wheels is wieght. The 26x3 gazz is
    really heavy compared to the 24, and even more so in feel. Since the
    wieght on a 26 is farther out on the wheel, when you try to stop/start
    with it, it's going to make a noticeable affect.

    But yes, a 24" will make natural trials easier. Although, a cheaper and
    yet similar effect option may simply be finding a lighter tire that
    still have the volume.

    --
    Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

    BLAH!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35873

  6. Alright Ive just ordered new 24" components through my local bike shop.
    Hopefully it will work out.

    --
    mazem - Department of Redundancy Dept.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mazem's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6620
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35873

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.